1.    #1  
    I'd like to know how patches and themes affect performance or battery life. I'm assuming patches that add an extra menu option don't have much of an affect.

What about themes? When I had themes on my Treo 700, it really gave me performance issues, to the point I removed them. I had one theme on my pre, and while it made it look so much better, the battery life was a bit embarrassing. Even with light browsing, my phone was almost dead in about 11 hours. I removed all my patches before updating to 1.4, and while battery life is a lot better, I'm not sure if it's from the removal of patches or the updated.
    hey davidg4781
    i have use theme and patch and i have notice some what of a difference in battery
    now that i have no theme nor patches the phone battery last longer.......
  3.    #3  
    I think I'm going to load up some very useful patches and see how my battery life is.
    Question? How do you uninstall all patches at the same time, instead of just doing so one by one?... Please give me some tips!
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ersanchez1822 View Post
    Question? How do you uninstall all patches at the same time, instead of just doing so one by one?... Please give me some tips!
    Search for emergency patch recovery in preware. I'd think the battery drain depends on what you install - a patch that only patches a single application or adds an option that was hidden won't drain your battery, but having something running constantly of course will.
  6.    #6  
    So I just go a brand new Pre from Sprint and was debating on installing Preware and the patches I used to have. I was wondering how they affected performance, if any, and after doing some google seaching... I found this thread.

Any ideas folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
    So I just go a brand new Pre from Sprint and was debating on installing Preware and the patches I used to have. I was wondering how they affected performance, if any, and after doing some google seaching... I found this thread.

Any ideas folks?
    I doubt that patches, or apps, have much of a performance impact. I have read that having a LOT of apps installed may slow your phone down, but i'm not sure i buy it.

As for patches, most make minimal changes to system files, either adding a line or two, or changing existing code. This should have virtually no impact on performance. I have at least 20 patches installed, and my phone runs fine.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks. I was wanting to keep it running as smooth as possible until I can upgrade, but got annoyed missing all the patches I used to have.
    In order to affect performance or battery life, you would have to be repetitively executing additional code or changing a setting to increase battery use. Very few patches would do that. Install any that you suspect, one at a time and observe their effect, before adding more.