Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Public Beta Available!

Mojo Messenger is now available! Go get it at http://mojomessenger.com/beta!
    Last edited by Tibfib; 10/07/2010 at 03:59 PM.
    YES! This would be AWESOME!!!!

I suggested something like this, but Dieter shot me down. .

He confessed that there aren't enough people with WebOS for this to be practical.

That obviously means he doesn't think us (his loyal followers on the PC) to be worth it.

*Puts Dieter on the spot*

Is the BBM just another messaging platform like AIM but specifically for BB users? Or does it work more like text messaging? A quick scan of the webpage makes me think its like an AIM kind of client for Blackberrys only. Why is there such a huge hype about "being able to contact internationally for free".

I do that daily with MSN Messenger...
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    He confessed that there aren't enough people with WebOS for this to be practical.
    Hah, well that's one person!

Yeah, I definitely understand that. I'm going to try and get a hold of a few cross-platform devs to try and branch this app out.
    Personally, I'd like to be only WebOS specific.

So we can feel special too. Being able to talk to only the tiny amount of people who have Pres.
    I think DIeter is not to birght on this angle. MOre features you have the easier the sell. Many people I know will not give up bb for that one reason. Dieter is really dumb to even think this. More is better!!! If palm had all the functionalites it would have more customers. I dont understand Dieter logic at all!!! TIBFIB make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to add some orange to the Messenger!!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    It looks like a great app. Definitely a good idea to make it cross platform. I know exactly 2 other people who own WebOS devices, but MANY who have Blackberries and Android Devices.

I'd love to be able to send messages to folks using BBM primarily to keep in touch with the people who are in the office while I'm out in the field. Our company turned SMS off for everyone so I currently use e-mail, but a messenger would be much easier for the quick messages I'm sending from my personal Pre. That Verizon flip phone they gave me is barely useful in making phone calls, much less sending messages.
    Couple of questions....

1) What is battery life like while it's running? (AIM & Yahoo destroy my battery life).

2) Are you planning to use Palm's Mojo Messanging Services when they are available? (this would drastically improve battery life if it is an issue, on top of being just plain cool!)
    Last edited by Laxidasical; 02/27/2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Typo
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Is the BBM just another messaging platform like AIM but specifically for BB users? Or does it work more like text messaging? A quick scan of the webpage makes me think its like an AIM kind of client for Blackberrys only. Why is there such a huge hype about "being able to contact internationally for free".

I do that daily with MSN Messenger...
    That's all BBM is aim for BB users only nothing more..

App looks good but I'll stick with text messages already multiplatform and works while on 2g,3g and roaming... The main point of a IM program IMO is to connect people on different platforms/hardware as in PC to phone - xbox to pc - phone to xbox etc etc... phone to phone is covered by text or email or phone calls and the messaging app. Phone to pc,xbox etc is covered by the built in messaging app...

GL with the app though looks a lot like the stock messaging app only formatted might want to improve that some so it can be differentiated from the stock one....
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    Couple of questions....

1) What is bettery life like while it's running? (AIM & Yahoo destroy my battery life).

2) Are you planning to use Palm's Mojo Messanging Services when they are available? (this would drastically improve battery life if it is an issue, on top of being just plain cool!)
    1) Haven't thoroughly tested battery life, but I think with an intelligent update system it will be pretty good. Basically, the more time goes on without getting a text, the less often it will update. You will be able to configure update times and other features to suit you.

2)Yep . Right now I'm just using emails as notification, which works pretty well, but not amazingly.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    That's all BBM is aim for BB users only nothing more..

App looks good but I'll stick with text messages already multiplatform and works while on 2g,3g and roaming... The main point of a IM program IMO is to connect people on different platforms/hardware as in PC to phone - xbox to pc - phone to xbox etc etc... phone to phone is covered by text or email or phone calls and the messaging app. Phone to pc,xbox etc is covered by the built in messaging app...

GL with the app though looks a lot like the stock messaging app only formatted might want to improve that some so it can be differentiated from the stock one....
    Yep, this is just a quick theme I put together, going to make my own images and so on....

The point is that it is free and super fast. If/when it goes cross-platform, free texts for everyone. That's my hope with this app.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    So the app is progressing smoothly, I'm hoping for an (end-of) April release. Still have a few things to announce, and will do so when they are up and running .

I have a question, How would you like contacts to be handled? Should they just be in the mojo messaging app? Or should I have the app create a contacts account and work from there?
    I think i'd like to see the contacts within the app. Is the alternative adding an entry to each contact for the Mojo Messenger contact?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    I think i'd like to see the contacts within the app. Is the alternative adding an entry to each contact for the Mojo Messenger contact?
    Yeah, it would add a field to an existing contact, or it would create a new contact depending on whether the person was already in your contacts.
    if u need beta testers let me know!!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    I just wanted to point out some of the features that sets BBM apart:

- Users don't need to register for it to work, just share your short provided PIN
    - It provides a lot of status information, including delivery and read confirmation. This one is really big.
    - It is included with the phone.
    - It is easy to send voice and picture messages.
    - Widely adopted.

Not to be negative, I think it is a nice innitiative. But I think something like this needs big support from both phone manufacturers and carriers. Also most of these features (including delivery and read notification) can be implemented with Google Talk using existing extensions for the XMPP Jabber protocol. So I think if Palm just extends the built in Messaging app a little further, and Android also gets to support the same extensions, we will be rocking. The only missing piece would be the requirement of a Google account.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannns View Post
    I just wanted to point out some of the features that sets BBM apart:

- Users don't need to register for it to work, just share your short provided PIN
    - It provides a lot of status information, including delivery and read confirmation. This one is really big.
    - It is included with the phone.
    - It is easy to send voice and picture messages.
    - Widely adopted.

Not to be negative, I think it is a nice innitiative. But I think something like this needs big support from both phone manufacturers and carriers. Also most of these features (including delivery and read notification) can be implemented with Google Talk using existing extensions for the XMPP Jabber protocol. So I think if Palm just extends the built in Messaging app a little further, and Android also gets to support the same extensions, we will be rocking. The only missing piece would be the requirement of a Google account.
    -Registering takes all of 5 seconds. There's not really a way to get around this.
    -Delivery and Read Confirmation could/will be added. Thanks for the idea!
    -Can't solve that one .
    -I will at least have a way to send pictures, but most likely you will be able to send all sorts of files.
    -Once the webOS version is where I want it to be, I am going to work hard to get a version out for different platforms (namely android).

The bad thing about using IM on the pre: It KILLS your battery life. This app will use the mojo messaging service, which should keep battery loss at a minimum.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!
    tibiafibia, i think it's a great idea! it would also be neat to talk to random, anonymous webOS people who are out there in the mojo ether for fun to kill some time. also i noticed having two emulators open in the vid at the diff resolutions, which i had never tried but will def start using to cut down on time (was using emulator for pixi and pre for pre).

***EDIT: would also be nice if it could include fb chat... they blocked it at work =(
    Last edited by shanerooni; 03/26/2010 at 06:33 AM.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    if this can be a cross platform with my BBM friends that would be AWESOME

As an aside though, what benefit does this have between GTalk/AIM? Does it have ability for attachment?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    tibiafibia, i think it's a great idea! it would also be neat to talk to random, anonymous webOS people who are out there in the mojo ether for fun to kill some time. also i noticed having two emulators open in the vid at the diff resolutions, which i had never tried but will def start using to cut down on time (was using emulator for pixi and pre for pre).

***EDIT: would also be nice if it could include fb chat... they blocked it at work =(
    There will be group rooms and three+ way conversations. I could build in a random person feature if there's enough interest.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast