Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I downloaded Epocrates last night, and so far I am really, really impressed. Epocrates seems to be the fastest native app that WebOS has as far as I can tell. It is incredibly responsive. And that got me thinking, what did it's developers do to make it so fast?

Well, if you download and play with the app, which I would recommend to anyone since it is free, you might notice that virtually all animations have been removed from the application. There are no sliding drawer mechanisms and no fancy transitions. With those graphical goodies removed, the app absolutely flies.

This is further indication to me that what is holding WebOS back is really the lack of GPU integration in the operation system. I also wonder what would happen if palm removed the nifty transitions and just made WebOS super speedy.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I was soo surprised by the speed of Epocrates, I thought something was wrong at first. My finger barely touched the screen and bam, the info was there.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I think you're right. the lack of transitions really speed up the application. okay, so it doesn't look as nice, but man epocrates flies! That's a worth while trade-off in my opinion.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I think you're right. the lack of transitions really speed up the application. okay, so it doesn't look as nice, but man epocrates flies! That's a worth while trade-off in my opinion.
    Yup, epocrates is the one place where I want pure speed. I don't need it to look flashy, I need the info!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    This is good news to my ears
    same here lol! Lol I thought something was wrong it was so fast! Lol love it, it doesn't need prettiness, it needs to have speed and function, exactly what we got. Epocrates hit this one perfect
    Remember how PalmOS flies too? No animations. Puts WebOS to shame with much less horsepower. But most people think animations are what makes an OS. I just want to get things done quickly.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I'm not so sure... If I wanted quick-and-speedy-and get-stuff-done, I'd have stayed with my BlackBerry Bold. I love the fact that WebOS is pretty and has transitions and such. But I absolutely agree that we need the GPU support soon.
    assuming animations really slow things down, and assuming they can be dissabled then I want an animations on/off toggle in the device options.

again, assuming the first two are true, anyone know if that would be a patchable thing? I'm guessing globaly no, but in specific circumstances possibly.
    There are four lights.
    Is there any chance it was built with the PDK?
    And as always, Non-US users are skipped
    Got the email to download the Beta version, but... "This Application is not available on your country"

why, why?!
    Seems to take a while to open the database when first launched, but once it's open everything runs really fast for me.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I love it. Wish I had two weeks ago.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    And as always, Non-US users are skipped
    Got the email to download the Beta version, but... "This Application is not available on your country"

why, why?!
    Hmm, that's weird. I downloaded it from the official app catalog in the UK. It's not just restricted to the US.
    yep its in the UK catalog, just search for it
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am LOVING this version of ePocrates! It is lightning fast after opening, and even that didn't take that long. Hoping they will add the remainder of the Essentials.
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Just realized he's from Mexico... why would they restrict Mexico? There's no logic to this regional nonsense.
    The only thing Epocrates changed was removing the transition animations. It does not use the PDK or GPU.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This thread is either full of doctors and pharmacists or you guys are a little to excited about a program that you will never use.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc-fine View Post
    This thread is either full of doctors and pharmacists or you guys are a little to excited about a program that you will never use.
    LOL, I've been thinking the same thing with all of these epocrates threads. There is no way we have this many doctors on Precentral.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast