1.    #1  
    As always with the games from Gameloft, I am concerned about the controls. I watched some review videos of the iphone version, and it seems like this game is using old school nintendo like d pad controls instead of the analog stick version found in Hero of Sparta and Gangstar. Since you just have to push in one area to make your little dude go a certain way, I a guessing the controls should be ok.

Also, the reviewer in the video noted that on non iphone 3gs models, some people complained of occasional drops in frame rate, I am wondering if our version will suffer from that?

So...anyone have any experience with this game before I drop yet another 5 bucks into Gamelofts vault?
    There are a few reviews in the app catalog that says the game is nice. Its a side scroller. I cant tell if its a dpad or a 360 controller, though.
  3.    #3  
    Based on iphone version it's a d pad controller. I always trust reviews from people from the forum over the ones in the App Catalog.

Looks like I might bite the bullet and be the one answering my own question! lol
    Yeah the app catalog attracts a strange amount of really bad or unrelated reviews, but I've heard the iPhones are even worse, or were when the phone was new.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah especially those fools that still don't know that it's a good idea to restart your phone first after installing a game. There are some good reviews in there, but also a lot of useless ones....nothing beats the PreCentral crowd with actual useful reviews!
    Personally, I'm not going to be buying any games any more that use a virtual joystick, d-pad, or anything of the sort. I've bought quite a few, and it just pains me how difficult it is to actually control them. Whether it's an on-screen d-pad, or an on-screen joystick, it doesn't matter. And especially when there's a cluster of small action buttons on the side that I have to tap one of while watching a different section of the screen.

I end up fighting with the controls more often than I enjoy the game, and I've already bought 3 games that bug me that way. Earthworm Jim is the worst, it's hard enough on the SNES/Genesis with a D-pad, let alone with an onscreen joystick.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Personally, I'm not going to be buying any games any more that use a virtual joystick, d-pad, or anything of the sort. I've bought quite a few, and it just pains me how difficult it is to actually control them. Whether it's an on-screen d-pad, or an on-screen joystick, it doesn't matter. And especially when there's a cluster of small action buttons on the side that I have to tap one of while watching a different section of the screen.

I end up fighting with the controls more often than I enjoy the game, and I've already bought 3 games that bug me that way. Earthworm Jim is the worst, it's hard enough on the SNES/Genesis with a D-pad, let alone with an onscreen joystick.
    I am having a difficult time with Asassins Creed, mostly the jumping part, but Hero of Sparta plays great! The jumping is automated, and you have quite a bit of help with the attacks as well, point the dude in the general direction and hit the sword key and you'll eventually get them all. Very playable game!