Grooveshark is in the app catalog!!!!!! woot downloading now
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Good find. I just downloaded.
    Just finished downloading it.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    Downloaded it while watching the PalmCast. I think this is 100 times better then Slacker and Pandora. I bought the year VIP. I like the option to be able to search for other peoples play lists and see what other people are listing to, I like to find new music to work out to. I've been following them on twitter ( @grooveshark) and they have a big update coming... Best 30 bucks I've spent in a while!
    I still want to know what the legal issues behind this service are...after all, when you pay, you give them your personal info!
    Do you have to sign up for VIP? On their site you do not have to and get full access with an ad running on the side. On the app it says I only have 50 songs but does not tell me what I have to pay after that. I don't want to sign up for VIP on their site if it has nothing to do with the app.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Merge plz
    I am curious to hear people's thoughts: Is Grooveshark worth the $3/month ($42 per year)? Between Pandora, Accuradio, Slacker, Radio Time, many SHoutcast apps and Suggest a Tune there is SO much free music out there that I am having trouble motivating myself to pay a fee.

I know Groove shark lets you make play lists etc but by the tiem you drill down through genre choices on these other apps or choose a style in Pandora - thats pretty close to a play list - with lots of choices both for music I know and to be exposed to new music.

I noticed that on their website, full functioning Grooveshark is FREE, and the only reason to pay for VIP is to get rid of ads on the side. I would much rather see Grooveshark mobile be ad supported.

I like Grooveshark but when my 50 songs run out I will most likely uninstall it and just use my many other music apps.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I am curious to hear people's thoughts: Is Grooveshark worth the $3/month ($42 per year)? Between Pandora, Accuradio, Slacker, Radio Time, many SHoutcast apps and Suggest a Tune there is SO much free music out there that I am having trouble motivating myself to pay a fee.

I know Groove shark lets you make play lists etc but by the tiem you drill down through genre choices on these other apps or choose a style in Pandora - thats pretty close to a play list - with lots of choices both for music I know and to be exposed to new music.

I noticed that on their website, full functioning Grooveshark is FREE, and the only reason to pay for VIP is to get rid of ads on the side. I would much rather see Grooveshark mobile be ad supported.

I like Grooveshark but when my 50 songs run out I will most likely uninstall it and just use my many other music apps.
    I've written about GS before. So I'll just summerize this.

DO NOT USE THE TRIAL until you've checked out the website. Checking out the service separately is your best bet, as it's completely-free to listen to and to sign up for. The website, being ad-supported, pays for itself. Once you decide you like the service. Then try out the mobile app. Since it is not ad-supported it requires VIP access after a fashion.

Grooveshark isn't for discovering new artists, though they are trying out a Radio Algorithm. So it's worth keeping Pandora/LastFM to discover new artists. Really, Grooveshark is for listening to artists you already know you like, songs you already like and for your own music library. Since you can upload your own music (once you sign up at a basic level), it's more like a catalog of music you can search and listen to.

As far as I know, GS is in the middle of a bunch of deals. EMI was going to sue them, dropped that suit and entered into a deal. I can only assume it's the same way for everyone else. It's a young company, created in 2007 by a couple of University of Florida students (hence the shark motifs).

VIP access on the website, get more - they also get all the themes available to skin and also a desktop application they are betaing. But really the most compelling reason, I think to have VIP access is for the Mobile Applications which, since they are not ad-supported at all, requires it.