Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Sucks to see how much of an ### Apple was to you guys for not letting you in the app store. Glad to see that Palm hasn't given you that kinda trouble. Seen Grooveshark in Cydia and looks like a well developed app.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I am not paying $3 a month to listen to my own music, which is then unavailable unless I have a solid 3G or Wifi signal. If I just want an internet radio experience there are other more elegant solutions. Also, I did the trial on this program and was seriously underwhelmed with the sound quality of the songs thye were streaming.

I liked the interface, liked the idea you could choose your song, but again, the cost is a deal breaker for me. Also I am not sure about the legality of their using my uploads to stream to other users.
    I have 60 songs that I have been trying to upload. Each time it appears it was successful. I wait a couple days and still nothing. I am being told by Grooveshark, that if the upload was unsuccessful, to upload again. Anyone else having trouble uploading their music?
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    I have 60 songs that I have been trying to upload. Each time it appears it was successful. I wait a couple days and still nothing. I am being told by Grooveshark, that if the upload was unsuccessful, to upload again. Anyone else having trouble uploading their music?
    Yeah I tried uploading from two computers, waited a few days, and still nothing.
    Why is Grooveshark showing up in the app catalogue as released today? There is no update or anything. Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    Why is Grooveshark showing up in the app catalogue as released today? There is no update or anything. Anyone know?
    When they update the metadata (description, price, anything like that) it goes to the top of the list.
    Let me add, I love this app, but it does seem a little buggy in some places. I have like 60 songs in my favorites, but for some reason it always freezes on me when I get to the bottom songs on my favorites list. Of course my PC does it all just fine. I assume updates will correct the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    That looks like a different app for Grooveshark called Groovee. http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...atalog/groovee

But it looks like the app was pulled from the app catalog. It wasn't supposed to be posted yet. Hopefully Groovee will have a shuffle option.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I honestly think they should just put ads on it and have a free version like their web site. When the Pre gets Flash...I imagine you will be able to just use the web browser and listen for free. So the forcing of $3/mo. is pretty bad.

So in the meantime one could of course randomize the mobile id that gets sent so your 50 play / 2 week trial never expires. The actual app is coded poorly with logging still left enabled and tons of comments and unused code. It doesn't run slow on my phone or anything, but it's pretty sloppy.

So your trial for mobile is not linked to your actual account. It's your phone id that gets set and registered. That's why "Just Use It" button works but still puts you on a trial. This is the easiest app to crack.

I'm not saying go and do it and who knows, maybe they have logs, but with wireless IP's changing I'm not sure how they'd police this.

Honestly not a real intelligent move by them. They should've thrown ads on it instead, probably would've made out better for payment that way hands down.

Again. I do NOT support stealing their wonderful service nor am I going to explain how to do it so don't even think about asking...I just hope that maybe eventually they can realize how pointless it is and vulnerable they left themselves and actually change it so that it follows the same model as their website. ... Ads til you pay. It's wonderful.

Like mentioned before, why even bother over Pandora which is free?

I can't wait for Flash to come to the Pre, I'm thinking I'll just skip the "native" app and use the thing like I normally do through my desktop computer and be happy for the amount of music listening I do on my phone...I work from home all day =)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    wow. i didn't know grooveshark expanded so much. aside from an apparently upcoming API (that already exists) there's also widgets? so.... um.... erm.... does anyone else think it's kinda weird they want people to pay for mobile when widgets are free and going to the web site is free?? (just ad supported of course)

do they know that many mobile devices are going to get flash??
    then what? what's even the difference? what's it even matter? does no one pay them $3/mo. to remove ads?

really really weird.
    A the price of a cheap hamburger once a month not to have commercials, sounds like a great deal to me IMO.
    Because Pandora doesn't play the song you want when you want it nor does it store your playlists. So when the Tegan and Sara album dropped and was recommended to me I could have 1) bought it and had it take up space on my Pre, 2) pirated it and had it take up space, 3) go to Pandora and listen to radio similar to one song, or 4) go listen to it from my phone whenever I want and have it take up zero space. I like 4 best, which is why I choose it over Pandora (or rather in addition to, and in my case, Slacker), which is free. I listen through the phone even when I'm home because it's much more immediate and flexible for me than a stereo or my pc.

I don't find it strange that they charge because mobile adds a lot of strain. Pandora's base took off like a rocket when they put out their mobile iPhone app and if you think its been with little cost, visit it from the web. Ads everywhere. They've even moved to pop up video/voice ads that interrupt playback. Grooveshark's site ads are extremely minimal in comparison (just the one bar, really).

Anyway, have fun navigating the site over the memory intensive flash and web browser, constantly pinching to see anything and then having your playback interrupted when the browser refreshes whenever you go to a new card. Sounds like a pleasant experience.
    Last edited by malpha; 03/05/2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well once you login and hit your playlist, you can hopefully just let it go. I imagine you won't be able to switch cards because Flash is designed to stop when you change to another app from what I saw in adobe's preview videos.

So yea that's another downside.

I do agree it's nice to play exactly what you when and when you want it. I prefer Grooveshark over Pandora, hands down.

But if you go to grooveshark every now and then...Seriously, I bought into the whole iPod thing (well Zune actually) and I travel with that anytime I'm traveling and if I'm on a plane....I'm not exactly using Grooveshark because there's no internet (depending on the airline). No internet in subway either. So the only choice is an mp3 player with local file content.

So....I'm sure there's other users like me that are really casual about it or don't often find themselves away from a laptop/desktop computer. I'd love to say, "YEA! I'll listen to Grooveshark on my phone while working on my computer in the library or while looking super cool at Starbucks (which I've never worked from Starbucks in my life btw)" ... But wait a minute...If I'm working on my computer somewhere with internet...Uh...Why not use the computer and save the cell phone battery?

So basically I wish that they would make a monthly limit....Or put ads in. Mobile ads don't have to slow down things if done right.

Thinking about this more I'm actually quite concerned about Grooveshark staying around. I should be using it more while I can. I think it's a wonderful service and I'm sad I don't use it more. I just think that it's a strange model they have for "VIP" access because it's very inconsistent.

It makes me worry about them and combined with the fact that people can so easily reverse engineer their service. I assume they fork over tons of money to be able to stream the music and I hope that site ads aren't the only way to pay for this. Now what happens if someone makes a boxee app and bypasses ads? I imagine that they would try to get the user to take down their boxee repository but when did that stop anyone? How about this other "Groovee" app that's out there? Or anything that may (and I'd wouldn't bet on not seeing it) end up in the home brew catalog or through other sources that bypasses ads?

I know it's a big bummer to have audio ads, but I think they should. I think so long as you're playing your uploaded music, fine no ads...But I certainly think they should have audio ads every X song you play if streamed. It's only fair and honestly it's funny that an end user is actually asking them to put in ads.

It IS better than Pandora, but Pandora at least seems like they're in it to make money. I know Pandora will be around. It's on bluray players, boxee, and other devices. They have (or had) audio ads (location based!). They have limits. It's way more aggressive about making money. Another reason many people would hate it. Oh and their audio quality isn't as good as Grooveshark either. Another point for Grooveshark not mentioned.

I'll probably end up giving Grooveshark money on principal, just to support their cause, but probably won't use it much. Though yea it would be rad if Grooveshark could pull it off with minimal ads...

I wonder if there will be any other Grooveshark apps in the official catalogue in the future though because it seems like Grooveshark wants to open an API for developers, one day. Maybe.

Oh and poor Apple folks...but hey, here's to supporting jailbreak.
    The last couple of days Grooveshark will freeze when I try to play a song. Has anyone else had this problem?
    tripsbacks said, "The last couple of days Grooveshark will freeze when I try to play a song. Has anyone else had this problem?"
    Couple questions for all of you. I use Grooveshark a fair amount from my PC and downloaded the free trial for my Pre. I haven't upgraded to VIP yet -- mostly because I have these few remaining issues:

I have a playlist that is around 80 songs which I shuffle and sometimes listen to at work. When I try to load the playlist on my Pre, it seems to duplicate songs and freeze up as I browse through the playlist. Specifically, it only shows the first ~50 songs, and then just duplicates the list after that instead of showing the other 30 songs. However, (and this is weird), if I use search to find the other songs in the playlist, it works. Anyone else observe this? Is this error limited to the trial version, not the VIP?
    I don't have any playlists that long. If you tell me what yours is, I can search for it from my Pre and test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyTF View Post
    Couple questions for all of you. I use Grooveshark a fair amount from my PC and downloaded the free trial for my Pre. I haven't upgraded to VIP yet -- mostly because I have these few remaining issues:

I have a playlist that is around 80 songs which I shuffle and sometimes listen to at work. When I try to load the playlist on my Pre, it seems to duplicate songs and freeze up as I browse through the playlist. Specifically, it only shows the first ~50 songs, and then just duplicates the list after that instead of showing the other 30 songs. However, (and this is weird), if I use search to find the other songs in the playlist, it works. Anyone else observe this? Is this error limited to the trial version, not the VIP?
    Well, I was able to get over the duplicate song problem by simply playing all. Once in the player, I could see all my songs with no problem. I am a VIP customer and everything was fine until a couple of days ago. I cannot get anything to play on Grooveshark through my Pre at all. On my PC all is good. I was just wondering if maybe it was just the mobile app software causing the problem.
    I like it, great app
    Maybe I'm blind, but is there no shuffle functionality on the mobile grooveshark? This is kinda big for me, as I like my music to be shuffled so it's never the same.
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristanlogd View Post
    Maybe I'm blind, but is there no shuffle functionality on the mobile grooveshark? This is kinda big for me, as I like my music to be shuffled so it's never the same.
    There isn't right now, hopefully there working on an update to put in a couple of features that are missing.
    tavex26 likes this.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast