Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    What are you worry warts talking about, this app rocks!! You can actually choose and play whatever you want, a song, a album, that's right, you choose. I signed up on the VIP account for a year, $30 bucks, sh#t, where can you go out and dine and get out for under $30? Bunch of tightwads in this forum, crying about spending 99 cents on an app, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    What are you worry warts talking about, this app rocks!! You can actually choose and play whatever you want, a song, a album, that's right, you choose. I signed up on the VIP account for a year, $30 bucks, sh#t, where can you go out and dine and get out for under $30? Bunch of tightwads in this forum, crying about spending 99 cents on an app, lol.
    Has nothing to do with being "tightwads" "crying about spending 99 cents on an app". It has to do with charging such a fee for an entertainment diversion app. For people with real life issues such as mortgages, children, businesses to pay for, and so on, we tend to prioritize our spending and try to be better stewards of our money. And where did 99 cents come from? Ninety-nine cents and thirty dollars are two different things, my friend.

And frankly, some of us do not have the time to just sit and listen to music all day, we work 10-12 hour days. And seeing as how you have made over 900 posts in the 3 months since you have joined here, clearly you have more leisure time than the rest of us.

If you're going to start name calling for people choosing what to spend and not spend on, you open yourself up for a rebuttal.
    Give me a break, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Give me a break, lol
    That's right, everyone works hard, some work long hours and they get compensated for their work, so why is it so hard for them to comprehend the fact that when they use a product or service they should have to pay for it. If you pay 20 dollars for 2 tickets to go and see a movie and it was not what you expected do you go and ask for you money back? Why should it be any different for a 99 cent app?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Has nothing to do with being "tightwads" "crying about spending 99 cents on an app". It has to do with charging such a fee for an entertainment diversion app. For people with real life issues such as mortgages, children, businesses to pay for, and so on, we tend to prioritize our spending and try to be better stewards of our money. And where did 99 cents come from? Ninety-nine cents and thirty dollars are two different things, my friend.

And frankly, some of us do not have the time to just sit and listen to music all day, we work 10-12 hour days. And seeing as how you have made over 900 posts in the 3 months since you have joined here, clearly you have more leisure time than the rest of us.
    To be fair, and you are right - it's not gonna work for everyone. But, it isn't just the mobile app that you are paying for. While, it is the most compelling reason for getting a VIP Access to grooveshark, you are getting more for your money than just the mobile usage. It also allows you a host of other features Grooveshark (the non-mobile site) has to offer. For example:

• Desktop Application
    • Ad-Free on Grooveshark.com
    • Ability to Favor 5000+ songs
    • Themes
    • And a Few More...

To me it hasn't been compelling till last night, and now I'm seriously weighing the options since I do use the online site, pretty much every day. It's not for everyone. That's what competition is all about, after all.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Been a big fan of grooveshark for a while, installed and listened to it while i worked out today. Great app with a few tweaks and additions it will be perfect.

No need to argue over price and worth, if you like it and think its worth the price then it is, if you don't then its not, that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post

If you're going to start name calling for people choosing what to spend and not spend on, you open yourself up for a rebuttal.
    Thanked 1 time in 323 posts, really not much more to say.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RizP View Post
    Ok fellas, let me help clarify the confusion a bit.

Grooveshark is a streaming music service, much like Pandora or Slacker, but its built via crowdsourcing. All the music on Grooveshark has been uploaded by members. Not necessarily VIPs.

What Grooveshark has going for it is that you can search for any song (or artist or album) and play it specifically. In addition you can have it run in "radio" mode (on the web), where it acts exactly like Pandora or Slacker. The bonus is, even in Radio mode, you can continue to add specific songs you want to hear to the queue. In fact, the radio logic will update it's picks based on the songs you add.

But wait, it gets better:

You can heartclick every song you like, and Grooveshark will save them in a list. You can also create and save specific playlists of the songs you like.

Currently I'm not seeing a radio button on the WebOS app, but you can create and save playlists right on your phone. Additionally, you can create vast lists of songs and playlists on the web, and access/listen to them on your phone.

Regarding cost of the app, what's freely available on the app catalog is a demo. to continue using the app beyond the demo period, you'll have to become a VIP, which is $3/month, or $30/yr.

Magic. Oh, and it's completely legal.

Now Listen: If you have lots of music and want it accessible anywhere, you can try to upload it onto grooveshark. However, this is a sticky issue for them as they don't have agreements in place with every major label. As such, to keep grooveshark legal, if you upload a song that's not ok to upload, your uploading privileges eventually get revoked. As I've seen no clear list of what songs will get the uploading privileges banned, this creates a catch-22. They invite you to upload your songs, but doing so may get your uploading privilges revoked.

There is a simple solution to this: DO NOT USE YOUR VIP ACCOUNT TO UPLOAD MUSIC.

Instead, create a different free account and upload all your tunes through that. You don't need to be a VIP to upload. As Grooveshark gains momentum, (they have >1M members already) hopefully they'll have more leverage to negotiate agreements with record labels.

Hope this helps. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, and if I've misspoke, I'll edit.

Thank you so much for all this info. This really helps out. Does anyone know if there is a service/site that will let us upload and stream private uploads?
    For right now, the app is in beta... I'm fairly certain that since it's beta, they're only allowing full access to the VIPs... That's the way Grooveshark has been working... Giving VIPs earlier perks, but eventually they give it to everyone. I'm expecting them to remove the 50 song/two-week limit once it's out of beta.

From mobile.grooveshark.com

"VIP Exclusive Sneak Peek. Get unrestricted access for only $3 per month."
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I'm all logged in and it's working great.

Grooveshark does have a radio, but it's not on the app yet. For me, I was never a big fan of Grooveshark's radio, it's not as customizable and fully featured as Slacker or Pandora and is a bit more annoying to use. However, this app could be a way to improve their interface.

The app is really fast and I'm already liking the mobile experience more than the browser version. They could stand to tighten up the navigation a bit. For example, if I'm on a playlist I searched for and I choose one song to play, going back to the search from the player screen takes you out of the playlist I was in. It should leave me in the playlist I was at.

Also, NO DASHBOARD. One thing I'm hating more about Slacker every day. Since neither of these apps are working with the headset advance (that I know of), if you want to change the track, you have to pull the phone out of your pocket, unlock it, go to the app and change it. It's one of WebOS's best features, I wish developers would take advantage of it. That said, they did try to make it visually mesh with the Pre instead of using the same interface as on other models.

All in all, though, I really really like it and I'm definitely glad I went VIP. I spend $3 on a midnight caffeine run to the store, so not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    Initial thoughts: adding songs to a playlist is a bit cumbersome. I think it was 4 clicks needed per song....radio option by genre...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    I have an interface suggestion. It would help to be able to sort the search results...
    Otherwise, the app is great. Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    ...looking forward for the music library to grow, and any improvements that come along. As a suggestion I would like to be able to click a song and from there be able to bring up the album and a list of songs from that album.

As of now, the only way I can bring up an album and it's songs is to know the name of the album and do a search....

Great job Grooveshark. I will become a paying member once my 50 plays are used up!
    Hey guys, I'm on the dev team at Grooveshark and just to let you know, I love all your suggestions here. This was an early release and most of these features are coming, especially Radio and a Dashboard.

I want to do a lot of UI improvements and will be scanning this blog and others for all your ideas, so please know you have ears listening at Grooveshark, and work as fast as we can to make it better and hopefully even surprise you. We'll also open up forums at our website for suggestions for the Pre and other phones.

Thanks!

-Dmitri
    Last edited by dmitri.v; 02/24/2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I uninstalled it too. Their ToS is scary to me.
    I don't think anything can happen to you if you're just listening, and the record label going after someone for uploading a song is pretty much impossible. Most labels are looking for a deal, and I know there are negotiations taking place continually.

If you know of a label that is not with Grooveshark, you can tell them to sign up, and we would really appreciate it if you do, because your voice counts. But we definitely know music is not free.
    PLLLLLEASE give us Bluetooth headphones support, dashboard playback controls, and shuffle mode. I'd be in heaven when all this is implemented. For 1.0 app though, its very nice indeed. Thanks for releasing this app!
    No bluetooth controls :P Deleted it within 5 minutes. Lazy programmers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozzman View Post
    No bluetooth controls :P Deleted it within 5 minutes. Lazy programmers
    No one here's lazy. I've been pulling 70+ hour weeks for the last month getting version 1.0 out. More features and improvements will be there, and soon (we hope to update every week), including free, unlimited Radio play, and bluetooth, so please check back for updates!
    so this is a limited free app right?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitri.v View Post
    No one here's lazy. I've been pulling 70+ hour weeks for the last month getting version 1.0 out. More features and improvements will be there, and soon (we hope to update every week), including free, unlimited Radio play, and bluetooth, so please check back for updates!
    With responses like these it makes you want to spend the $30, of course as long as they continue to improve the app.

Looks like i will be a "vip' soon
    dmitri, it's a great app and you guys definitely put in a lot of hard work, obviously it isn't a straight port from an iPhone or Android version like some other apps. I definitely feel like it was designed with WebOS in mind.

Been using it non-stop in my car, listening to new, recommended music and it works like a champ. I've been recreating my library on it, too, I like it that much more than the native app and syncing with the Pre, so I'm changing from the month to a year myself, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    so this is a limited free app right?
    Yes, right now there's just a 50 song trial but that's about to change. We're working to release an update with free unlimited Pandora-style radio play this week.

We'd love to keep adding free options, but I honestly don't think the music industry will give us much more than this.
    For some reason I try to download the app, and it just says downloading but it won't actually download. Any reason?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast