Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    FYI -- Wiki Grooveshark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess artists and bands can upload original recordings to grooveshark to distribute around the interwebs..
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    If you change phones I wonder if you will loose your playlists and favorite songs.
    Ok fellas, let me help clarify the confusion a bit.

Grooveshark is a streaming music service, much like Pandora or Slacker, but its built via crowdsourcing. All the music on Grooveshark has been uploaded by members. Not necessarily VIPs.

What Grooveshark has going for it is that you can search for any song (or artist or album) and play it specifically. In addition you can have it run in "radio" mode (on the web), where it acts exactly like Pandora or Slacker. The bonus is, even in Radio mode, you can continue to add specific songs you want to hear to the queue. In fact, the radio logic will update it's picks based on the songs you add.

But wait, it gets better:

You can heartclick every song you like, and Grooveshark will save them in a list. You can also create and save specific playlists of the songs you like.

Currently I'm not seeing a radio button on the WebOS app, but you can create and save playlists right on your phone. Additionally, you can create vast lists of songs and playlists on the web, and access/listen to them on your phone.

Regarding cost of the app, what's freely available on the app catalog is a demo. to continue using the app beyond the demo period, you'll have to become a VIP, which is $3/month, or $30/yr.

Magic. Oh, and it's completely legal.

Now Listen: If you have lots of music and want it accessible anywhere, you can try to upload it onto grooveshark. However, this is a sticky issue for them as they don't have agreements in place with every major label. As such, to keep grooveshark legal, if you upload a song that's not ok to upload, your uploading privileges eventually get revoked. As I've seen no clear list of what songs will get the uploading privileges banned, this creates a catch-22. They invite you to upload your songs, but doing so may get your uploading privilges revoked.

There is a simple solution to this: DO NOT USE YOUR VIP ACCOUNT TO UPLOAD MUSIC.

Instead, create a different free account and upload all your tunes through that. You don't need to be a VIP to upload. As Grooveshark gains momentum, (they have >1M members already) hopefully they'll have more leverage to negotiate agreements with record labels.

Hope this helps. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, and if I've misspoke, I'll edit.
    Last edited by RizP; 02/23/2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added hyperlink about grooveshark legality
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    I have an interface suggestion. It would help to be able to sort the search results. They come up all mixed up and since songs are repeated so much, it can be a bit of a chore to sift through a popular artist's songs.

Otherwise, the app is great. Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    If you change phones I wonder if you will loose your playlists and favorite songs.
    You don't. You have an account at grooveshark.com and all your heart-clicks are synced to there. When you log in from your next WebOS device, They'll be there, waiting for you

And if you rock out with grooveshark at work via grooveshark.com (or their desktop app), making lists of hundreds of songs you like and dozens of playlists.... All that goodness will be waiting for you when you load up grooveshark on your Pre/Pixi for the drive home.

I'm actually feeling giddy right now.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    I downloaded the app and playing music right now, pretty cool app. Wish I could pay one time for a set period of time, never had a good experience with giving a credit card # for monthly billing.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I downloaded the app and playing music right now, pretty cool app. Wish I could pay one time for a set period of time, never had a good experience with giving a credit card # for monthly billing.
    You can pay by the month. When you sign up for one month, you get put on recurring charges, but you can change this in your account settings. Then after your month is up, you won't be charged unless you go pay for it manually.
    Ok malpha, thanks for the info, will sign up for a month and give a try!
    Whoa...I was excited about this app until I read what rizp said.....that put a big damper on it. How ok is the record industry with people uploading songs so others can listen to them? Isn't kinda like running limewire on your computer and downloading music illegaly to listen to?

Count me out....seems too shady for me, especially since you have to give them your personal info to sign up and be able to use the app on your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    You can use PayPal for your recurring or one-time payments as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Whoa...I was excited about this app until I read what rizp said.....that put a big damper on it. How ok is the record industry with people uploading songs so others can listen to them? Isn't kinda like running limewire on your computer and downloading music illegaly to listen to?

Count me out....seems too shady for me, especially since you have to give them your personal info to sign up and be able to use the app on your phone.

They're not trying to operate illegally. In fact, they currently have a licensing agreement with one label, EMI.

In fact, the reason why every song you can think of isn't on there (as it would be for limewire) is that they remove songs if requested by a label.

That it's in the app catalog means it went through Palm's app approval process. You're an end user, downloading an app from the official app catalog. I would find that reassuring, if I had any concern about it.

In fact, yours is a common concern. From Grooveshark's FAQ:

Is it Legal?

"Is Grooveshark legal?

Grooveshark is 100% legal. It is our aim to revolutionize the way you listen to music, and we intend to do so in a completely legal manner. Artists and labels are compensated every single time a song is streamed from Grooveshark. If anyone is opposed to their content being on Grooveshark, we will happily remove it, but we would much prefer to pay them!"

Hope it helps,

Riz
    This is such a great app. I've been testing out some of my favorite songs that aren't on the other online music players and I'm happy to see that they are there. I'm very surprised about that. Now I don't have to worry much about my memory on phone since I can stream it instead. I'm soo happy I'm going in and creating all my iTunes playlist into the Grooveshark...yeah I got a long night ahead of me.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I love it. That's all I can say about it.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    This is a MAJOR app for me and fills in a piece of the puzzle that may help me stay with WebOS.

I've been waiting patiently for Rhapsody to become available for WebOS but don't see that happening anytime soon.

Grooveshark is the only one that I'm aware on WebOS that lets you play specific tracks on demand. It's not random play like Pandora,Accuradio, etc.....

I'm looking forward for the music library to grow, and any improvements that come along. As a suggestion I would like to be able to click a song and from there be able to bring up the album and a list of songs from that album.

As of now, the only way I can bring up an album and it's songs is to know the name of the album and do a search.

Overall it's a great app for creating your own personal music list, and Pandora/Accuradio is great for discovering new music.

Great job Grooveshark. I will become a paying member once my 50 plays are used up!
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    There's actually another thread that started before this one that did. It was iamsexy or something like that. Did you try to log into his account?
    That was me...and it was in -this- thread. Right here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2242956

Hmm...that sounds reassuring. For a moment there I thought this was another case of "if it sounds too good to be true...."
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    This is major. And I'm excited there's a native application for the webOS. It (like LASTFM - which I've given up on a native app for), are services I use everyday on my desktop systems. I was even waiting on Flash so I can just enter the non-mobile site. So, color me tickled pink by it.

RizP already covered it in this thread, like I covered it elsewhere.

But to put it in more stricter terms: Grooveshark is American Spotify.

It's pretty much the dark horse in Internet Radio.
    The app is not available in Spain. In spite of I can use the Grooveshark web here. Does anybody know if they will launch it in the spanish catalog (or german..).

The thing with the non-US App Stores is becoming ridiculous, and very frustrating.
    So I can pay $30/year for a streaming music service, or play with two other streaming service apps for free. Granted, I hear Grooveshark has a few features Pandora and Slacker do not have, but not enough to justify a $30/year fee. For my purposes I would get more value out of spending that $30 on a bunch of webOS apps I would use a lot more. Sorry. Downloaded. Installed. Played. Uninstalled.
    I uninstalled it too. Their ToS is scary to me.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast