1.    #1  
    On my PalmOS Centro, I have SplashID for passwords and other sensitive data, and SmartList To Go for other non-encrypted mobile database needs (grocery list, book inventory, etc.). jVault seems like a very promising replacement for SplashID, and I am wondering whether it could replace SmartList as well (the non-private data doesn't *need* to be encrypted, but would not be harmed by encryption.)

* The jVault documentation seems to indicate that I can create a "wallet" in which each "card" has arbitrary fields of my choosing. Is that correct?

* All field values are text strings; there are no pick-lists or check-boxes, correct?

* Does setting the inactivity time-out to a long-ish time (say, 10 minutes) mean that as long as I return to jVault within that time I don't have to retype the password, even if the screen has turned off or I use another application? SplashID requires that you retype the password if anything causes the screen to go to sleep or show another app, which would make it tedious to use for non-private data.

* Is it possible to sort on various fields, or to filter based on values in fields? Does not seem like it. This would make jVault less than ideal, but it might be reasonable fix until someone makes a good mobile DB for WebOS (please, Please, PLEASE will somebody make a SmartList-like DB for WebOS!!)
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Yes, each field on a card can have whatever text label you want, and whatever text for the data field.

All fields are text only. No checkboxes.

The inactivity lockout will force jVault to close the database and display a password screen after the timer has expired. The screen won't turn off until the app has inactivity for the length of the setting time. You could turn off the inactivity timer completely if you wish.

You can't sort by an arbitrary field, only the title of the card. What you can do, is search all data fields for a text string, which makes finding a particular card very easy.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info. I really need a DB that allows sorting and filtering. Example Use Cases:

* Database includes books that I either own, or have read, or wish to read. While in bookstore, Filter to show only those on my wishlist, sorted by category and author.

* Database includes grocery items including aisle info for specific stores and checkboxes for things I need to buy. While in grocery store, Filter to show only needed items, sorted by aisle for that particular store.

I provide these details in case your company would be interested in tackling such a project.
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 02/22/2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    The inactivity lockout will force jVault to close the database and display a password screen after the timer has expired. The screen won't turn off until the app has inactivity for the length of the setting time.
    What if I manually turn off the screen and then turn it back on--must I then retype the password? That is the case with SplashID, which makes it difficult to use for anything other than brief consultation of data you really want to keep private.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    What if I manually turn off the screen and then turn it back on--must I then retype the password? That is the case with SplashID, which makes it difficult to use for anything other than brief consultation of data you really want to keep private.
    No, you don't. I just tested it on my Pixi doing this:

1) Start up jVault
    2) Enter the unlocking code
    3) Turn off the screen (by pressing the power button once)
    4) Turn the screen back on

The jVault screen was displayed just as it was when I turned off the screen. So, you have the option of using the lockout feature or not. Your choice.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist