1.    #1  
    I see a few threads saying that such and such application can not happen until Palm releases that microphone API (Skype, Shazam, et cetera...)

If this is correct, how did gdial function? I have not delved into WebOS programing yet, so I just do not understand how one app that relies on the microphone can work, yet other apps are 'impossible' with out the microphone API.

Can any developer help me understand why this is?
    because it makes a phone call those apps would have to be able to turn the mic on and off and record
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    because it makes a phone call those apps would have to be able to turn the mic on and off and record
    I guess my issue is not understanding the different API's or system calls used or required. A phone call depends on the microphone, so wouldn't that need a microphone API? Or did the app call on the phone app to handle the mic?
    it utilized the already existing phone app
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    it utilized the already existing phone app
    OK, so it front-ended or called on the phone app as an intermediary instead of calling directly to the microphone.

Thanks for clearing that up. Time to add my name to the long list of people asking Palm for the microphone API.
    From my understanding, the micrphone api is going to be availabe when the 1.4 update comes out. Which I believe is confirmed for Feb. 25th... So it'll be interesting to see how exactly it'll work. But i'm pretty excited for it, I already got some ideas on what i'm going to make after Zoovio.
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    From my understanding, the micrphone api is going to be availabe when the 1.4 update comes out. Which I believe is confirmed for Feb. 25th... So it'll be interesting to see how exactly it'll work. But i'm pretty excited for it, I already got some ideas on what i'm going to make after Zoovio.
    where did you hear that?? Mic api in 1.4??
    Yes, do tell where you heard this from in 1.4...
    I guess that it is probably reasonable to assume that if video is coming with 1.4, then a mic api would be there as well.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    If this is correct, how did gdial function?
    It told Google Voice to dial your cell phone number. When you answered, Google Voice then called the number that you punched into gdial. Basically, Google Voice set up a two-party conference call between your cell phone number and the person you were calling, and the call counted against your voice minutes since you were talking using the cellular phone. This is a standard feature available via Google Voice's web interface. There was no VoIP or audio streaming being done on the Pre.....