1.    #1  
    Is anyone using VZ Navigator on the Pre Plus? If you are, how does it compare with a stand alone GPS? I used the TomTom GPS software and bluetooth receiver with my 700p before I upgraded to the Pre. That solution worked fine and I have continued to use the 700p for a GPS since getting the Pre. But, I would love to cut down on the wires and gadgets in my car.

Please, I know that VZ Nav is a paid app and that Sprint Nav is free on Sprint and Google Nav is free on the VZW Droid. That stinks, but I'll live with it if VZ Nav does a decent job until a free alternative comes along.
    Thanks,
    David
    "The only piece of Verizon-specific software to be found is VZ Navigator. It's based on software created by Networks in Motion, pulling map data from NAVTEQ. In my testing I found it to be a perfectly serviceable turn-by-turn GPS app, well-designed and fast on webOS. The homescreen even displays local weather, gas prices, and movie times, which is pretty convenient. What's not convenient: unlike Sprint Navigation, VZ Navigator costs an extra $9.99 per month on your service plan. Here's to hoping that Palm accepts a turn-by-turn GPS solution into the App Catalog soon, because $9.99 per month is a bitter pill to swallow."

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-plus-verizon-review

Verizon VZ Navigator Review (GPSmagazine.com)

http://blog.wirelesszone.com/Verizon...avigator%205.0

If it is as good as the Sprint app then I'd say it is more than fine for most people. If you make deliveries for a living perhaps not.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I saw this review and it was helpful. I am curious to hear from anyone who is using VZ Nav as a day-to-day GPS solution. At $10 a month, I may need to load it up and run it for a month to see how it compares with the TomTom. Maybe I'll write a more detailed review if I run it for a while.
    I have not used it on the Pre but have used in on several feature phones. It works great. I love it. I suspect it will be the same on the Pre (haven't used it yet, but will on the Pre). I only turn it on for a few days when I need it on vacation or a business trip. Then I just turn it off.
    You can do a "trial" for $2.99 i think. I believe it expires in 48hrs(?)
    Has anything come out yet to be a free alternative to VZW Navigator? If no such application comes out soon, I'll have to get a separate GPS...was hoping not to have another piece of hardware to lug around (they are so heavy you know) on trips.
    anybody have an update here? Anybody using vz nav? I'm thinking of giving it a try this summer (1st month may be free). Of course, if another option becomes available...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    anybody have an update here? Anybody using vz nav? I'm thinking of giving it a try this summer (1st month may be free). Of course, if another option becomes available...
    My opinion is that I can (and did) get a full featured Garmin for less than what I'd pay for VZ Nav over the 2 year contract. ANd it has free lifetime traffic.

I have been in cars with drivers trying to use their phone as a gps... screen too small, don't keep eyes on the road, and then they try to talk on the phone while using gps.... geesh.

So, I prefer a 4.3" device securely on my dashboard, mine happens to also have bluetooth, so it can dial my phone, put calls through to my car stereo, etc. Best $199 I'd spent in a long time. I use my Pre+ for so much, but I just can't see the value of a GPS app for navigating while I'm driving.

We had the option to do it on the Treo and Centro, and I felt the same way then...

VZ used to offer the ability to use it for 1 or 2 days for a few dollars, and that would have been ok in an emergency. But, they don't offer that on the Pre+.

I haven't started VZ NAav yet, so I thought I'd save the 30 trial for the potential emergency where I must have navigation and I don't have my Garmin...
    Currently a Palm Pre + Verizon user. Will all the GPS programs work if one gets the VZ Navigator? Or will on the Navigator get GPS lock and nothing else. There is some very interesting GPS linked software, but currently it is total useless with the Palm Pre Plus Verizon. Will it be worth paying $9.99 per month if all , or most of the GPS software on Webos Work? Thanks GlassPaul
    I'm somewhat legendary in my opposition to using my phone for a driving GPS. I want a dedicated GPS, with a 4.3" screen, solid attachment to the dash, free lifetime traffic. And I have such a device for much less than two years of VZ navigator, and no attempt to read that little screen and have it overheat when I use it (especially with the sun beating down on the dash through the windshield...)

It syncs to my phone via Bluetooth for dialing and such. It connects to my car stereo for speakerphone, and knows to mute when I'm on the phone. It has a microphone port so I can have a headset on for handsfree driving. If I had spent a little more money, I could have purchased one that does voice dialing, but I was too cheap...

So, when I am driving with people that use their phones as a GPS, I take their phone away and put my GPS on the dash and make them use that... I feel safer when they use their phone as a phone...

IMHO

Of course, I will get flamed for being old fashioned, etc... But I do what works for me...

That said, I want the location-based services to work so I can use Yelp, Ymobile, Text-My-Location, Latitude, etc. I don't want to pay VZ for Navigator to make those services work properly, even if my company would let me expense it (and i expect they would).
    Quote Originally Posted by glasspaul View Post
    Currently a Palm Pre + Verizon user. Will all the GPS programs work if one gets the VZ Navigator? Or will on the Navigator get GPS lock and nothing else. There is some very interesting GPS linked software, but currently it is total useless with the Palm Pre Plus Verizon. Will it be worth paying $9.99 per month if all , or most of the GPS software on Webos Work? Thanks GlassPaul
    The recent buzz around here is that everything else works better once the VZ Navigator has been launched because it magically "wakes up" the GPS radio. I just replaced my Pre+, and I'm not having as much success with the recent patches from ebags33 to overcome that. I'll be testing it on the road tomorrow, and if it doesn't appear to be working as well as my last one did with the patch, I'll be asking VZ to send me yet another one. Personally I don't care if they send me a phone every month, because that way I'm sure it is always shiny and scratch free. And modding the crap out of it from a fresh install is fun more than problematic...