Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    There is a backup routine in Classic under the main menu that appears to create a tarball backup. What is this backup? How can it be accessed to restore classic? Is it backed up with the OTA backup?
    Please review this FAQ for more info on this - data from within Classic are not backed up when you perform OTA backup of your Pre

Customer Support - MotionApps
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    OK, that shows where the backup is, and how to see it in USB mode. But, what does it do? How do you use it to restore Classic?
    Sorry for the confusion, here’s more details:

- say you create backup of Classic data like explained in previous post
    - and you backup your Pre data via profile backup
    - you restore your Pre data – it will bring Classic installation along, but you will have installed Classic only, without any of your data inside
    - then you take the Classic backup from your PC and put it in the same directory you initially took the backup from: ClassicApps/ClassicBackups folder

Makes more sense?

Cheers!
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    OK, yes. This in fact worked to perfection. I did a partial erase of my Pre because of an issue with Epocrates. The partial erase does not erase the USB part of the Pre. So, before the erase I did a backup of Classic. Now, after the erase and automated restore of the apps from the Palm Profile, I fired up Classic, and everything was as before, including my much valued Datebk6 program and database. So, this works great. Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by dndrich View Post
    OK, yes. This in fact worked to perfection. I did a partial erase of my Pre because of an issue with Epocrates. The partial erase does not erase the USB part of the Pre. So, before the erase I did a backup of Classic. Now, after the erase and automated restore of the apps from the Palm Profile, I fired up Classic, and everything was as before, including my much valued Datebk6 program and database. So, this works great. Well done!
    From what you've said, it doesn't seem to me like the Classic backup had anything to do with your data being available. Was your data there when you first fired up Classic after the re-install, or did you have to do some type of restore within Classic?

I think your Classic data was always there (it's in the USB partition that you say you didn't erase), so when the Classic app was restored it got pulled right in.

In the post by MotionApps, one critical step in the backup process is to copy your Classic backup file to your PC. Otherwise, it's just as vulnerable as any of your Classic data, as they sit on the same USB partition.

Some of this is educated guess on my part, and I would appreciate either correction or confirmation by anyone.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    OK, yes, what you say is likely true. That is, Classic data and files are kept in the USB portion, so when I fired up Classic I did not have to do any kind of restore procedure. The data was there. Now, for safety I ran the backup routine in the preferences of Classic before the erase, and it dumped a tarball file into the backup folder on the USB portion. I copied that over to my Mac for safekeeping. Now, with a full erase, or if I lost the phone, that data would be gone without backup. So, keeping a backup somewhere else is important. This is not backed up to the Palm profile over the air. Furthermore, I happen to run Missing Sync for Palm OS, not the Palm Pre version. So I have that installed in Classic, and then can do a network sync of the Classic side. This also nicely syncs to my iCal, and Google calendar and contacts, which then comes back OTA to my native Pre contacts and calendar. Kind of roundabout, but works great. Datebk6 is the only reason I run Classic.