Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts

Description
    If you sync your Palm Pre or Pixi with Google, then this App is definitely for you. It provides much needed features, that are missing on your phone. It can search in your Google (or Google Apps) accounts for text in calendar entries and in contacts (most fields, not only name and company). You can choose between whole or partial word search. Also, it can provide an Agenda view of your upcoming events. Tapping on a found event or contact takes you to the day in the calendar or to the detail screen of the contact on your phone.
    This is a much enhanced version of our App "Google Calendar Search". Enhancements include search in contacts, multiple accounts, partial (sub-string) search, Agenda mode and highlighting in results.

Usage
    Just choose your search direction, put in some search terms and press enter or tap the magnifier button. You can recall the last search terms with the history button on the left. For Agenda mode, please tap the Agenda button at the lower right.

Hints
    The accounts to search and other settings can be found in Preferences.

Privacy
    The Google logins and passwords will be saved unencrypted in a database. Encryption would not make sense without a master password. If you lose your Palm, a webOS expert could find out the saved password.

Motivation
    This program was written because of the following reasons:
    • at the moment, webOS can not search in the calendar
    • searching Google Calendar in desktop browsers does not work well with many results and can not do partial search
    • in the Palm browser, one is always being directed to the mobile version of Google Calendar, where search is not available at all
    • webOS Universal Search only searches in name and company fields of contacts
    • webOS does not provide an Agenda view

Documentation: http://software.vivalv.de/Googleaccountsearch/english
    PreCentral Homepage: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...nt-search-beta
    Program Homepage: Google Account Search
    Last edited by sidamos; 02/23/2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    It's published and should be available via Preware and fileCoaster.
    I have it all set up, however, I try to search for "dentist" I receive what appears to be an error log with ok at the bottom. No information.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Could you give me more details, please?
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thanks for developing this. I can see this as a means to allow tagging contacts and calendars in the notes, something lacking in webOS atm.

Any chance this can develop to the point that typing in universal search can result in launching this application witch then produces a result? For example, one of the universal search results is a choice which would pass the search term along to your application after which your app would do the search?

I had an issue upon performing my first search. It found the expected contacts within my google account. But clicking upon any contact, I get the following message:

"This google contact is not yet linked with one of your local contacts. Do you want to link it now (you can unlink it later by tapping and holding the contact)?"

This seems to indicate I was clicking on a search result for a contact that is not located on my phone in the native contacts application. This, however, is not possible, ALL of my google contacts are in fact in the contact application on my phone.

If I have misinterpreted what this error is trying to tell me, please explain.

Thank you once again!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I think I might have found an issue.

I did another search, this time I unchecked the perform calendar search and show contacts first. The app spinning wheel just went on forever, and it never told me it was looking in the first 200 contacts, next 200, etc. Perhaps unchecking the calendar parts confused it.

If I leave search in calendars check, but uncheck show contacts first, the search works.

If I uncheck search in calendar and leave show contacts first checked, it works.

So I guess it only gets confused if you uncheck both.

Great app, I look forward to seeing it develop.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Yep, you found a bug. Will be fixed in next beta shortly.

About your 2 issues:

Unlike PalmOS, webOS does not allow integration into Universal Search at this moment.

You are right, your Google contacts are linked to your phone contacts. However, 3rd party apps do not have access to the phone contacts, unless the user picks one from a webOS people picker. webOS is (in my opinion) too restrictive in this matter. That is the reason, why our app has to search directly at Google in the first place. But thanks for the hint, I will need to change the text of the box to be more understandable, without knowing the background.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    0.1.2 has been uploaded to PreCentral.

Bug regarding searching only Contacts fixed and changed texts.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I will fetch the update as soon as PreWare loads, thanks!

Regarding no access to contacts, I am not a programmer by any stretch, but what I do know is the app called Mail Lists has access to the contacts at some level. As does Super Contacts. Though I am sure its only to the name and company fields as you point out above.

But knowing the name in the search result and assuming (good assumption if you are using this app) that the name in the contacts app that matches is the one you want, can't that association be used to pull up the person in the contacts app and build a result based upon contacts in the contacts app? Which would then be usable to either create lists or emails to one of the results without this additional linking requirement?

Thinking out loud here with not enough information to fully understand, thanks for your patients with non-programmers!
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Do you use Super Contacts? Can you please describe step by step what the user has to do to access the on phone contacts with this app? Because is is not in our App Catalog.

I have just tried Mail Lists Lite and it also cannot directly use your phone contacts. When you want to add a contact to a mailing list, it opens the same People Picker as Google Account Search.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I just uploaded 0.2.0 to PreCentral.

Changes:
    * highlight search text in results
    * search in related persons
    * option to display addresses
    * option to display related persons
    * bug fixes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I just uploaded 0.3.0 to PreCentral.

Changes:
    * highlighting optional and can be toggled
    * partial search on/off also applies to contacts
    * bug fixes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I just uploaded 0.4.0 to PreCentral.

Changes:
    * Agenda mode
    * highlighting on/off only in preferences
    * small optimizations
    * highlighting on by default, fetchsize 300 by default
    * bug fixes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I just uploaded 0.5.0 to PreCentral.

Changes:
    * sorting and grouping options for contacts
    * directly call/SMS/email from the result list
    * RegExp can be used for partial search in calendar/contacts and for non-partial search in contacts
    * bug fixes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I just uploaded 0.6.0 to PreCentral.

Changes:
    * options for line breaks and font sizes
    * better display of all day events
    * changes für webOS 1.4

This is feature freeze and final candidate for 1.0.
    Last edited by sidamos; 03/03/2010 at 04:54 AM.
    Do you plan on making the background customizable maybe adding the dark theme as an option. Great app.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Good idea. Noted as enhancement request.
    Would you be able to add the Google Tasks list (and possibly a way to add said tasks...maybe another app?)? That would be great.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    It should be possible, but I would probably first wait, if Palm decides to sync the on-device Tasks app with Google Tasks.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Version 1.0.0 is now available in the Palm App Catalog (US)!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast