Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I have been getting Install Failed error msgs for apps I've tried to download or update. I used Quick Install to remove all my patches, tried again, didnt work. So I uninstalled Preware and Package Manager Service, and tried again, nothing. I downloaded the Emergency Migration Helper, but I dont see it in my launcher or on the device management tab. How do I get it to work? Thanks!
    My pre has no patches and is running on the 1.3.51 webOS...
    I'm having the same issue as you and I'm running the same version of webOS. If you get a response to your post could you send me a message and let me know how to fix it please. Thanks
    Are your apps from the Palm App Catalog or from Preware (or both)? Are they free or pay apps? I had an issue with an app that started in Preware as free, then migrated to the app catalog as a paid app. The app would always come up as needing to be updated, but I had to delete it and reinstall the new version to pay for it.
    I've had an issue downloading through preware, palm beta feed. With a certain program I get the same error.
    @ bringithome
    i have the same problem but i don't want to pay for it i just want to get rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbbates11 View Post
    I've had an issue downloading through preware, palm beta feed. With a certain program I get the same error.
    If there is an app with is in multiple feeds (you can tell this from the Feeds field in the app description), then just disable the feeds you don't want, then hit update feeds, then try and install the app.

App authors have been told by Palm to use different appid's for different distribution feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Two of my App Catalog free apps tried to update, but the update installation failed. I tried deleting them and reinstalling, but the installation fails every time. Now I'm afraid to let my apps update! How can I fix this?

Thank you!

Ruairaidh (Rory)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Okay, I solved the problem for now. I ran the Emergency Migration Helper from PreWare and then they re-installed without fail.

But I downloaded these apps from the Palm App Catalog from the first, not from Homebrew, so why did I need to run the EMH? Also, will I have to do this every time an app needs to be updated?

Thanks!
    no you wont have to do this every time this was because of an update to aupt or preware and all apps are stored in the same part of the phone now. this is most likely why you needed to do this .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am having the very same problem.
    try the emergency migration patch it should help you out. if not someone will be here to help you out.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    no you wont have to do this every time this was because of an update to aupt or preware and all apps are stored in the same part of the phone now. this is most likely why you needed to do this .
    It still doesn't quite make sense. These apps (not patches) were downloaded from the Palm App Catalog, not PreWare, the first time I downloaded them. I don't understand why the migration tool would be necessary. Also, if they were downloaded from Palm in the first place and I had problems with the updates, might not they again have trouble in the future?

Sorry to be troublesome, but I like to understand what I'm dealing with.

Thanks,

Ruairaidh (Rory)
    If you had any home brew apps installed then this is why you had to run the migration tool. The apps you were trying to update were not the problem. The problem was the home brew apps and where they had been installed. They needed to be moved so that 1.3.5 could move the official apps. This is why you will not need to run it again. The home brew apps are now in the correct place.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I can't update, download, run ANYTHING.

Try the emergency migration helper? Get this:

Error installing: See IPKG Log

which says ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' operation.

Yes I've run WebOSRepairUtility. Found 2 minor problems... obviously not the ones needed so that I can use the phone for any apps...

I'm so sick of this Pre... This is one of about 25 things that's sucked...not just this. I'm so tired of having to act like a computer nerd just to make this phone work semi-decent.

Anyone have any ideas?

g
    use WebOS Quick Install to remove and reinstall both Preware and Package Manager Service.....My GF had the same issue, now it all works great, not sure why it does this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 130guy View Post

I'm so sick of this Pre... This is one of about 25 things that's sucked...not just this. I'm so tired of having to act like a computer nerd just to make this phone work semi-decent.

g
    Not trying to be a jerk, but maybe you shouldn't be doing these "hacking" type things to your Pre and stay "Vanilla".

Its just like a car, you start messing with stuff, be aware of the consequences.

I'm fully aware that if i start tinkering, there may be a chance that SOMETHING may go wrong.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but maybe you shouldn't be doing these "hacking" type things to your Pre and stay "Vanilla".
    Yea fair enough. No illusions in that sense. But the fact we all have to "hack" Palm's premier product to get it to act in any way approaching semi-intuitive says a fair bit in itself...

g
    I had the "Install Failed" message after downloading alot of app from the App Store. Updated Preware and ran Emergency Migration Helper and now every single one of the the apps installed just fine.

Whew!!! Thanks for starting this thread. Thanks for the fix!!!

Blake
    I've gone through a secure full reset, and a webos doctor reset and have this issue. It seems to me that the update is tied to the profile. I've set up a second dummy profile and there's no problem there. I'm currenly going to try removing all of my apps to see if that takes care of it. Migration tool didn't do anything.

Update - with all of my downloaded apps removed and no Preware (no patches either), I still have the error. I'm slightly baffled.
    Last edited by bringithome; 05/04/2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bringithome View Post
    I've gone through a secure full reset, and a webos doctor reset and have this issue. It seems to me that the update is tied to the profile. I've set up a second dummy profile and there's no problem there. I'm currenly going to try removing all of my apps to see if that takes care of it. Migration tool didn't do anything.

Update - with all of my downloaded apps removed and no Preware (no patches either), I still have the error. I'm slightly baffled.
    I've got the same problem as of today (15th May 2010). Running standard WebOS 1.4.1, never used preware or anything but standard apps from the catalogue.

Tried the webos doctor, etc but all apps still fail to install. What's going on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast