Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Cohosoft has just released jVault Desktop for the Windows OS PCs, which is a desktop companion application for jVault for the Palm Pre and Pixi devices.

Although jVault Desktop can be used as a standlone application on the PC, it is designed to transfer data to and from the jVault app on the Pre and Pixi. For more details, please see the product page on the cohosoft.com web site.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Excellent. I was waiting for this and have just purchased the desktop and the Pre version. After using the Desktop version for a while now I have a few suggestions for future versions already:

1. Add an optional setting to auto-lock the desktop version after a user selectable inactive time (e.g. 3 minutes). I use this type of software a lot on my work PC as well and sometimes forget to close it before I leave my desk.

2. It would be nice if stored URL addresses would be real links. So that when I click on a link it would open in my default browser.

3. Add syncing via Wi-Fi.

4. Enable an existing card to be assigned to a different category and/or wallet.

I am sure I will come up with more proposals but those two are high on my wish list.
    Last edited by STBXXL; 02/11/2010 at 07:00 PM.
    I just installed the trial version of the desktop software. I have not even installed jvault on my Pre yet. I wanted to see how well it would work first. (Edit: I just bought jvault anyway, I trust you will add new features)

I found a cool utility to save out my old PalmOs Strip info to a .csv file. I imported this into the desktop app. It worked well for the most part.

I hope you allow more editing in future versions. A few imported records went into a blank wallet and there is currently no way to rename, delete or edit wallets.
    Last edited by Paladin; 02/19/2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I found a cool utility to save out my old PalmOs Strip info to a .csv file. I imported this into the desktop app. It worked well for the most part.

I hope you allow more editing in future versions. A few imported records went into a blank wallet and there is currently no way to rename, delete or edit wallets.
    FYI, jVault Desktop does have the ability to import CSV files, however, the data must be in a specific format for the program to import correctly. If you used the CSV file generated by the utility you mentioned without making any modifications, most likely it will not import correctly into jVault Desktop. The proper format is documented in the jVault Desktop User Guide. You can easily use a program such as MS-Excel to adjust the columns of data into the proper format and write out a new CSV file for jVault Desktop.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Hi,
    thanks for the update to version 1.1.0. I like the new features - they are quite useful.

Do you have plans to add an auto lockout function (like with the WebOS program) for the Desktop version in the future?

Cheers.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Hi,
    Do you have plans to add an auto lockout function (like with the WebOS program) for the Desktop version in the future?
    Cheers.
    Yes, that feature is on the enhancement list for jVault Desktop.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Downloaded both the Pre version and the desktop version of jVault this week. I was pleasantly surprised by the developer's willingness to work with me through several minor issues. I now have both installed and functioning well. I was seeking something to replace my Passwords Plus from DataViz with both the Pre and desktop versions PLUS being able to convert all data from Passwords Plus, which I accomplished! Both are working well. A big thanks to cohoman!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Yes, that feature is on the enhancement list for jVault Desktop.
    Great, I am looking forward to the future version then.

Btw, it would also be useful to add an optional counter (turned on and off in the preferences) that displays the number of records per wallet (and possibly per category).

Thanks.
  9.    #9  
    Btw, it would also be useful to add an optional counter (turned on and off in the preferences) that displays the number of records per wallet (and possibly per category).
    Thanks.
    Did you want the counter in jVault Desktop or jVault Pre? I can certainly add such a counter in the statusbar window in jVault Desktop rather easily.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Did you want the counter in jVault Desktop or jVault Pre? I can certainly add such a counter in the statusbar window in jVault Desktop rather easily.
    My original idea was to have it in the status bar of the Desktop program. On the Pre the available space is rather limited. So perhaps this could be added as a menu item (e.g. "Database Statistics" such as number of wallets, categories and data sets, last modified, ...).

Thanks for considering this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    This is TERRIFIC! Been waiting for this desktop version, and you've done a great job with it... thank you!

2 features I'd like to see, is a "free form" like notes field in each card. What I've done is to just use field 12 as that... which leads to my 2nd feature... when you have a lot of info in one field, and are viewing the card, you can't use the wheel on the mouse to scroll up and down in a big field, you need to click the scroll bar on the right.

...but for a beta or test version, you have done a fantastic job!

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Btw, I have noticed that every time I sync from the Desktop client to my Pre the preferences in jVault on the Pre get reset to the default settings. Is this intentional?
  13.    #13  
    Btw, I have noticed that every time I sync from the Desktop client to my Pre the preferences in jVault on the Pre get reset to the default settings. Is this intentional?
    No, that behavior isn't intentional. When you "sync" you're actually just doing a file copy, so the settings table in the database file should be unaltered. However, if you compress the card items in the treeview control in the Desktop version (to only show the category folders) then you should see the same behavior in the Pre version after you do the database transfer.

Let me look into this and see what I can discover.

Update:

I think I know what the issue is. The preferences settings are saved in the jVault database file, and only configurable on the Pre. If you've never transferred this database from the Pre to the jVault desktop, then the database file on the desktop only has the default preference settings. So I'm guessing you've only transferred the database file from the Desktop to the Pre, and not vice versa.

To correct this issue, do the following:

1) Make the desired settings in the preferences screen on your Pre for jVault.
    2) Close jVault on your Pre
    3) Connect you Pre to your Desktop (USB drive mode) and start up jVault Desktop.
    4) Transfer the database file from the Pre to the Desktop PC.

Now, you should have the desired settings preserved in the database on your Desktop PC, so they should remain if you transfer the database back to you Pre.
    Last edited by cohoman; 02/21/2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: update response
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kohn View Post
    2 features I'd like to see, is a "free form" like notes field in each card.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "free form". Currently, you can enter as much text as you want in any of the data fields (except for the card title). So, you can have multiple lines of text separated by a return character. Is this what you're asking for, or are you wanting something different?

when you have a lot of info in one field, and are viewing the card, you can't use the wheel on the mouse to scroll up and down in a big field, you need to click the scroll bar on the right.
    When entering text in a data field, the height of the editbox control will adjust automatically to fit all the text. So, you shouldn't need to scroll within a data field editbox control. The only scrolling, would be for the right viewport window when you want to see all the data fields. Of course, you can also make the main application window bigger to see all of your data fields.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Loving the jVault desktop and it's easy-as-pie syncing with the Pre! In fact, the only thing that I found less-than-stellar about the program is the inability to cut-and-paste into or out of it. That having been said, I paid my $6 for the desktop and $3 for the Pre app and it was worth every penny.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire View Post
    Loving the jVault desktop and it's easy-as-pie syncing with the Pre! In fact, the only thing that I found less-than-stellar about the program is the inability to cut-and-paste into or out of it. That having been said, I paid my $6 for the desktop and $3 for the Pre app and it was worth every penny.
    The latest version of jVault Desktop (ver 1.1.0) does allow you to cut-n-paste individual cards or category folders between wallets or within the same wallet. You can get the latest update from our web site at CohoSoft - Home

In fact, we added several new features (like URL hyperlinks) which users have been requesting.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    FYI, jVault Desktop does have the ability to import CSV files, however, the data must be in a specific format for the program to import correctly. If you used the CSV file generated by the utility you mentioned without making any modifications, most likely it will not import correctly into jVault Desktop. The proper format is documented in the jVault Desktop User Guide. You can easily use a program such as MS-Excel to adjust the columns of data into the proper format and write out a new CSV file for jVault Desktop.
    It imported everything fine except one or two things. I just ordered this from you guys and I hope you add more editing abilities. That is the purpose of a desktop app like this. Well that and import/exporting the data.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    No, that behavior isn't intentional. When you "sync" you're actually just doing a file copy, so the settings table in the database file should be unaltered. However, if you compress the card items in the treeview control in the Desktop version (to only show the category folders) then you should see the same behavior in the Pre version after you do the database transfer.

Let me look into this and see what I can discover.

Update:

I think I know what the issue is. The preferences settings are saved in the jVault database file, and only configurable on the Pre. If you've never transferred this database from the Pre to the jVault desktop, then the database file on the desktop only has the default preference settings. So I'm guessing you've only transferred the database file from the Desktop to the Pre, and not vice versa.

To correct this issue, do the following:

1) Make the desired settings in the preferences screen on your Pre for jVault.
    2) Close jVault on your Pre
    3) Connect you Pre to your Desktop (USB drive mode) and start up jVault Desktop.
    4) Transfer the database file from the Pre to the Desktop PC.

Now, you should have the desired settings preserved in the database on your Desktop PC, so they should remain if you transfer the database back to you Pre.
    Thanks! That did the trick.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I hope you add more editing abilities. That is the purpose of a desktop app like this. Well that and import/exporting the data.
    What kind of editing capability do you want, beyond what is currently available in jVault Desktop? With the latest version, you can create cards and category folders, edit existing items, create and edit custom templates. You can also cut/paste/copy cards and category folder between the different wallets.

Is there something else you need to edit or do in the Desktop version?
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    What kind of editing capability do you want, beyond what is currently available in jVault Desktop? With the latest version, you can create cards and category folders, edit existing items, create and edit custom templates. You can also cut/paste/copy cards and category folder between the different wallets.

Is there something else you need to edit or do in the Desktop version?
    Off the top of my head; I was trying to move a category from one wallet to another and could not seem to find a way to do that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast