Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Excellent program. I just dumped SplashID and bought both the desktop and Pre versions of this program.

A couple of things . . .

"Alphabetic sorting is case sensitive" setting doesn't seem to turn off. I unchecked this setting on the desktop, but all of my lowercase items are at the end of the list.

On the Pre, I wish I could jump to a place in a long list of items by pressing a letter on the keyboard.

I appreciate what seems to be excellent support and response through this forum.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rweiss View Post
    Excellent program. "Alphabetic sorting is case sensitive" setting doesn't seem to turn off. I unchecked this setting on the desktop, but all of my lowercase items are at the end of the list
    Hmm... I'll take a look at that.

On the Pre, I wish I could jump to a place in a long list of items by pressing a letter on the keyboard.
    Did you want the list to jump to a category or card which starts with the letter pressed?

Update:

I just tested the "Alphabetic sort is case in-sensitive" option and it worked ok on my PC. This sorting option is for the cards only, not the category folders. So with the option turned off You would see this effect for a set of cards under a category folder:

Bread
    Corn
    Fajitas
    apples
    bananas

With this option turned on, the list would be sorted as:

apples
    bananas
    Bread
    Corn
    Fajitas

Category folders can be sorted manually, by dragging them in the treeview to rearrange them.
    Last edited by cohoman; 02/21/2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: update
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Off the top of my head; I was trying to move a category from one wallet to another and could not seem to find a way to do that.
    That was a new feature added to version 1.1.0. You can right-click on the category folder in the treeview control and a popup menu will appear, from which you can select cut/copy/paste/delete. If you pick copy or cut, you can then move to a destination wallet and paste it there.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Hmm... I'll take a look at that.

Did you want the list to jump to a category or card which starts with the letter pressed?

Update:

I just tested the "Alphabetic sort is case in-sensitive" option and it worked ok on my PC. This sorting option is for the cards only, not the category folders. So with the option turned off You would see this effect for a set of cards under a category folder:

Bread
    Corn
    Fajitas
    apples
    bananas

With this option turned on, the list would be sorted as:

apples
    bananas
    Bread
    Corn
    Fajitas

Category folders can be sorted manually, by dragging them in the treeview to rearrange them.
    Well, this morning it is indeed sorting correctly! Not sure what happened or what I was looking at last night, but could have sworn all the lower case cards were at the end.

I would prefer to be able to jump to a card. Some of my lists of cards are very long and scrolling through them seems slow. Hitting a letter on the keyboard to jump to that place in the list would be very nice.
  5.    #25  
    I would prefer to be able to jump to a card. Some of my lists of cards are very long and scrolling through them seems slow. Hitting a letter on the keyboard to jump to that place in the list would be very nice.
    The question is, under which category folder will the list jump to? For example, if I press the letter "c" the list could scroll to "Cars" under the "Vehicles Info" category or to "Coat" under the "Clothing" category.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents... Just purchased both desktop and Pre versions and moved over 5+ years of SplashID data...and never looking back!

Really like the way jVault development is going! Thank you for your hard work!

Jeff
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    The question is, under which category folder will the list jump to? For example, if I press the letter "c" the list could scroll to "Cars" under the "Vehicles Info" category or to "Coat" under the "Clothing" category.
    If I understand the terminology correctly, this would work when I have a category open and a long list of cards -- it would jump to the first letter "c" in the category I have open.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    If I understand the terminology correctly, this would work when I have a category open and a long list of cards -- it would jump to the first letter "c" in the category I have open.
    Yes this would be helpful indeed.
  9.    #29  
    However, you can have more than one category folder open at a time. In fact, you can have all the category folders open at the same time. In that case, which "c" line would you jump to? That's the dilemma...
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    However, you can have more than one category folder open at a time. In fact, you can have all the category folders open at the same time. In that case, which "c" line would you jump to? That's the dilemma...
    Now I understand the problem. I guess if it is possible, I would be happy with jumping to the "c" in the first open category. Most of the time I would only have one category open and would use this feature when it has a lot of cards.

How about a different approach . . .

Another similar option which I might find even more useful is a search feature through all categories. Sometimes I can't remember exactly where I put a card. I would like to simply start typing the name of the card I want to find and an automatic search would pull up the card (or cards) for me to select from. Is this feasible?
    I think it should jump to the first card that starts with c, regardless of category. This is the same behavior as the PalmOS contacts application, for example: start typing a name, and everything that matches that initial string gets shown if you were displaying All Categories. If you had already narrowed the field to a specific category (or "wallet" in your case), then the filtering finds only items in that category/wallet.

I feel this is sensible and time-honored behavior for Palmish devices.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    That was a new feature added to version 1.1.0. You can right-click on the category folder in the treeview control and a popup menu will appear, from which you can select cut/copy/paste/delete. If you pick copy or cut, you can then move to a destination wallet and paste it there.
    I just downloaded this the other day and it is version 1.0.1. from your link. No wonder I did not see that feature.

I will try again and see if I can get the newer one. EDIT: I just downloaded it again and it is the right version now, thanks. ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 02/22/2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  13.    #33  
    Another similar option which I might find even more useful is a search feature through all categories. Sometimes I can't remember exactly where I put a card. I would like to simply start typing the name of the card I want to find and an automatic search would pull up the card (or cards) for me to select from. Is this feasible?
    What you can do with the current version, is do a search based on a text string and all cards that fit the search string will be displayed on the screen. From there, you just tap on the card you want to view. By default the search will look at ALL fields in all cards and categories, but you can limit the search to just the card titles if you wish. I use this feature a lot when I want to quickly find a card and I have a text string to search for. This is when you do a formal search, not a on-the-fly search by just typing in text.

Now, I could update the app so that when you start typing a text string it automatically display only those cards that match the search string, but I would need a "refresh" button or something that will re-display all the cards when done. That may become confusing to a novice user.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    I think it should jump to the first card that starts with c, regardless of category. This is the same behavior as the PalmOS contacts application, for example: start typing a name, and everything that matches that initial string gets shown if you were displaying All Categories. If you had already narrowed the field to a specific category (or "wallet" in your case), then the filtering finds only items in that category/wallet.

I feel this is sensible and time-honored behavior for Palmish devices.
    The problem with that approach, is I would need to have some mechanism to re-display all the hidden cards when done.

The current search method does what you've described, but you need to formally type in a search string and tap the "search" icon (or press the return key).
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Looking good!!

So, it does backup and restore, but am I correct that it does not do sync? That is, if I change data on both the Pre and the Desktop, then can I sync the two databases? If not, then, in this case, I ought not to copy to the Pre or copy to the PC, right, as I'd lose data on one of the devices.

For me, while backup/restore is great, sync is needed as well.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    Looking good!!

So, it does backup and restore, but am I correct that it does not do sync? That is, if I change data on both the Pre and the Desktop, then can I sync the two databases? If not, then, in this case, I ought not to copy to the Pre or copy to the PC, right, as I'd lose data on one of the devices.

For me, while backup/restore is great, sync is needed as well.
    No, jVault Desktop does not do true syncing of records. It only copies the database file between the Pre and Desktop PC. We do plan to add true syncing in a future release.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
  17.    #37  
    How about this for a quick search of displayed cards:

When you click a letter on the keyboard jVault will scroll the list so that the first card that has a title that matches that letter is visible. You press the same letter again, and the list scrolls to the next match. This will work for all cards currently displayed (category folders that are closed will not be searched).

Also, you will only be searching for the first letter of a title card. Would that be sufficient?
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    How about this for a quick search of displayed cards:

When you click a letter on the keyboard jVault will scroll the list so that the first card that has a title that matches that letter is visible. You press the same letter again, and the list scrolls to the next match. This will work for all cards currently displayed (category folders that are closed will not be searched).

Also, you will only be searching for the first letter of a title card. Would that be sufficient?
    I think this would be very useful. I have used the search feature and I like it very much. Will probably use it frequently. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    What you can do with the current version, is do a search based on a text string and all cards that fit the search string will be displayed on the screen. From there, you just tap on the card you want to view. By default the search will look at ALL fields in all cards and categories, but you can limit the search to just the card titles if you wish. I use this feature a lot when I want to quickly find a card and I have a text string to search for. This is when you do a formal search, not a on-the-fly search by just typing in text.

Now, I could update the app so that when you start typing a text string it automatically display only those cards that match the search string, but I would need a "refresh" button or something that will re-display all the cards when done. That may become confusing to a novice user.
    I still think this would be my preferred method of finding a card. If this is confusing to novices, would it be possible to add such as feature that is turned off by default, but can be turned on in the Preferences? I understand the need to avoid confusion for novices, but flexibility like this would be a real selling point. (One reason why I loved DateBk6 on my Treo and dearly miss it on my Pre.)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quick future request update...

I've just upgraded from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. I had to backup, uninstall 1.1.0 and then install 1.1.1. It did do a great job of not messing with my data or registration, but seems unnecessary.

I'd say in future upgrades just have it do updates over itself (if possible) and don't use version number in the directory name... but just a suggestion.

I have to say, I'm really impressed by the level of functionality, ease of use, and polished feel in the desktop software. You have really done a great job with this. As a FORMER SplashID user, I'm super impressed by your speed, ability and willingness to answer questions as well as take suggestions and incorporate them into the software.

Thank you for your great, and now indispensable app!

Jeff
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast