Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It's not the same problem everyone else is having...I think.

I don't get "install failed". But rather, I download the app -- it seems to download OK and then switches to "Installing...". I get the "MyDatabank has installed" notification, but the App Catalog card still says "Installing".

Furthermore, the icon for the program on the launcher has the little circle icon on it. Trying to run it just takes me to the App Catalog page where is still says "installing..."

Grrr. Anyone experience this?

UPDATE: Here are screenshots:

Looks good, "Download for Free" as normal

Finishes downloading normally and then switches to "installing". Still normal

Then this crap. Basically notifies "Installed: ..." but still says "Installing on the button"

Finally, if you close the app catalog and try to go run the program, the icon has this status wheel on it. Its properties show 0 K!

Any help?
    Last edited by Jayrot; 02/08/2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Same thing happened to me. I dont know how i solved it, but ibasically let my pre rest. I restarted it completly, canceled all downloads and even removed the battery. Next time i tried, it worked.
    are you using the update app or going to the app catalog first to update . basically how are you getting to the update page??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdubhotsauce View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I dont know how i solved it, but ibasically let my pre rest. I restarted it completly, canceled all downloads and even removed the battery. Next time i tried, it worked.
    Hmm. Thanks for the response. I've tried all those things, but still can't get certain programs to install. Interestingly, it's only MyDatabank and Geotasks. All the other programs from App Catalog or Preware install fine.
    same exact problem when trying "Cryptonotes"
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    i ask because you can open app catalog and click on the bag at the bottom of the page, and this will alow you to update. it works for some people but not all .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i ask because you can open app catalog and click on the bag at the bottom of the page, and this will alow you to update. it works for some people but not all .
    Yeah, this isn't an issue with trying to update a program, but rather just can't install it at all.

As I said, it's not all program, just some. Indeed, I just went and successfully downloaded and installed a program right now.

EDIT: I just put some screenshots in the OP to illustrate my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    Yeah, this isn't an issue with trying to update a program, but rather just can't install it at all.

As I said, it's not all program, just some. Indeed, I just went and successfully downloaded and installed a program right now.

EDIT: I just put some screenshots in the OP to illustrate my problem.
    If you use either WOSQI or Preware, there is an app called Emergency Migration Helper. If you run this app, it will move any "stuck" apps that didn't move after the 1.3.5 update, and should solve the downloading issue.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I've used the Emergency Migration Helper a half dozen times and it's done nothing to solve this problem for me (even waited 30 minutes after running EMH with no luck).

In other threads, I've seen people suggest that Preware's Package Manager Service is somehow to blame and that removing and re-installing Preware will solve the problem. Hasn't worked for me either.

On the Palm dev forums, I've seen at least one dev ask Palm for help with this problem because they were getting numerous negative reviews because people couldn't get past the "installing" message. The problem was escalated to the Palm engineers attention, who responded by saying that they aren't having any problems on their own devices and suggesting that some "homebrew" might be to blame.

It doesn't seem to be a really widespread problem, but its certainly happening to a fair number of people. Just no solution yet.
    I'm having the same issue for Geocaching for WebOS...
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    I'm having the same issue for Geocaching for WebOS...
    reboot phone after installing and see if this works for you, if not then uninstall and reinstall reboot again it should work eventually lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Try this[1]:

. install Luna Manager via Preware [2]

. Try a new application install/update in the App Catalog

. If it works, great. If it fails as described in this thread, then:

. throw away the hung App Catalog card

. open the launcher - does the ap icon appear with the "update" blue bullet badge?

. open Luna Manager and poke "rescan"

. open the launcher - does the ap icon appear normally?

. does the new/upated ap work?

This sequence seems repeatable for me - and much easier than restarting - but I've tried only a few cases.

[1] At your own risk, of course.

[2] or otherwise be ready to trigger a launcher rescan
    This happened to me often...until I ran EPR and removed all patches. Since then it has worked fine, and I've even installed a few patches since then. I think this has to do with a patch or a combination of patches, but I'm not sure which ones. Now you're going to destroy my theory if you say you have zero patches installed...
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    p.mc --

I've got Luna Manager (had it for awhile now). Tried your process with "geotasks" from Preware (not the app catalog as you suggested) and no joy. Icon is still there with the blue bullet thing. Bummer - that sounded like a good solution too!

intlbeans --

I do have plenty of patches. I'll take note of them, EPR it, and see if it works "patch free" - then add patches back until it chokes (if it chokes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    reboot phone after installing and see if this works for you, if not then uninstall and reinstall reboot again it should work eventually lol
    No - when I reboot it goes back to the same thing. I dumped the app and tried to re-download it. Now it downloads and claims it's installed, but I never get past the "installing...". Essentially I get the app with the blue badge of death. Anything I do after that erases the app again. I'm going to try some of the other ideas here. There must be some patch that is messing with the app......
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Is the said app also in preware? If so, I think this may be your problem Application talk:Preware - WebOS Internals

I have experienced the same problem and you should still be able to install it fine with preware, then when the app needs to be updated, you should be able to update the app via either the app catalog or preware. If you can't find it in preware, you don't have to remove it, just disable all your feeds, then select "update feeds" to refresh them, then it should install fine from the app catalog.
    Just a note ...

I spent some time just now with vbockius debugging his problem, and it is clear from that session that this problem is not related to Preware or migration or anything like that.

It is the case that Preware is showing an app and passing over to the App Catalog to install it, and the App Catalog is failing to install it properly. It is also that case that in vbockius's situation it was an app that the App Catalog would not show to him, meaning it's an app that Palm doesn't want him to see in his region or on his device, which may explain why the app catalog is not installing it properly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    the app installed for me through webos quick install...don't know why i didn't try that sooner....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    the app installed for me through webos quick install...don't know why i didn't try that sooner....
    OK, so that means that the app is in both the homebrew feeds and one of the official app catalog feeds with exactly the same package id. Palm advises authors not to do that (and we concur).

What is the package id of the app in question?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod - glad to see that you were able to spare some time to look at this and exonerate Preware.

My problem has been with geotasks, and others, but its been maybe 2 weeks since I stopped messing with this. Per 'vandelay's suggestion above, I went direct to Preware and disabled the "Palm-beta" and "Palm-web" feeds (I already disabled "Palm-catalog" a few weeks ago - the redundancy drove me nuts) and tried installing Geotasks. Worked fine so maybe he's got something. I un-installed it and re-enabled each of those feeds (one at a time) and was still able to install Geotasks. Put em BOTH back on and still can install Geotasks. Now I cannot duplicate the original problem. Too bad I didn't try to install it before messing with the feeds.

I'll see if I can find something else that caused me trouble, but I'm pretty sure the trouble was when Preware launched the app catalog beta installer and it was that installer that hung.

Gerry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast