Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE: I was wrong. The problems I had were most likely caused by me having too many apps installed. So for those wanting to know if webOS had an upper limit, 190 might be it. (I'm testing everything.)

    I eliminated a few apps and all was well again. I then redownloaded Awesome Sayings for Free, applied the same wallpaper, restarted the phone and everything was fine.

    Again, I was wrong. To Dijit, I'm sorry. I'll be crafting my "mea maxima culpa" tomorrow morning after some sleep.


    [ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS]

    Warning: virus-like behavior.

    The "Awesome Sayings for Free" app by Dijit breaks Universal Search and "eats" app icons (eight icons from my last launcher page vanished). Changing the wallpaper back and deleting the app restores Universal Search behavior but the icon stays in the Launcher. Restarting the device removes the icon and restores the missing icons.

    Do not download!


    That's pretty much the review text I included on PreCentral's Beta App Gallery. I'll be updating my on-device review just as soon as the App Catalog lets me.

    What happened and what I did:
    While trouble shooting my sudden loss of Universal Search, I changed the wallpaper back using Palm's Screen & Lock app and then deleted Awesome Sayings. Universal Search came back. Then I reinstalled the app and reapplied the wallpaper and Universal Search was again kaput.

    When I went to delete the app again, instead of finding the icon on the first Launcher page, it was in the same location on the same page I had put it before. Curious, I deleted the app and Universal Search came back as before, but the app icon remained, even though the app wouldn't launch.

    At the same time, app icons were disappearing from my last Launcher page, where I dump icons I almost never use. At first it was just a few apps and I wasn't certain, but when I reinstalled the Awesome Sayings app the second time a few more apps vanished.

    Restarting the phone finally removed the icon and restored the icons missing from the last page.

    Both issues *could be* as simple as a hideously malformed appinfo.json file, but are certainly troublesome enough to avoid the app right now.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 02/06/2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: my original post was erroneous
  2. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #2  
    The app isn't replicating at all. I think you misunderstand what a virus does.
  3. #3  
    I haven't had any problems at all with this app. I'm still a little paranoid so i removed it. Maybe you installed a patch that got messed up?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    The app isn't replicating at all. I think you misunderstand what a virus does.
    Among other things, viruses do bad things to your computer and/or device. To cover comments like yours, I said VIRUS-LIKE, but apparently I overestimated you. It won't happen again.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by abiezerf View Post
    I haven't had any problems at all with this app. I'm still a little paranoid so i removed it. Maybe you installed a patch that got messed up?
    It could be a patch compatibility issue. I have the 4x3 v1, and reset to center patches. I currently have seven pages.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    The app isn't replicating at all. I think you misunderstand what a virus does.
    Thanks for this very useful insight. He didn't say it was spreading, he said it was messing with his phone LIKE a virus. Tired of comments like this.
  7. #7  
    The application isn't the cause for the above mentioned problem. The application has been download 15k on Palm and over 100k on iPhone. The Picture Messenger Application is the exact same application, both have been thoroughly tested and have never demonstrated the above mentioned behavior.

    Tired of these witch hunts!!!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by efacls View Post
    The application isn't the cause for the above mentioned problem. The application has been download 15k on Palm and over 100k on iPhone. The Picture Messenger Application is the exact same application, both have been thoroughly tested and have never demonstrated the above mentioned behavior.

    Tired of these witch hunts!!!
    Did you make an account just so you could post that?

    If installing the app caused those issues and uninstalling it fixed the issues I'd say there's something wrong with it. Just my opinion.

    How can you say the app isn't the cause for the above mentioned problem? You don't know that. And how can "Awesome Sayings For Free" and "Picture Messenger" the exact same application? They are 2 different applications.

    You're tired of these witch hunts? I bet your a developer of "Virus-Like" apps. You probably made this c r a p app didn't you?
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/05/2010 at 09:45 PM.
  9. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Among other things, viruses do bad things to your computer and/or device. To cover comments like yours, I said VIRUS-LIKE, but apparently I overestimated you. It won't happen again.
    I know it's semantics, but you misused a catch-all phrase to help describe a technical issue - it's just counter-productive. It would make more sense to say the app has caused 'alarming' or 'concerning' issues, the behavior is not 'virus like.'


    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Thanks for this very useful insight. He didn't say it was spreading, he said it was messing with his phone LIKE a virus. Tired of comments like this.
    See above.
  10. #10  
    I am having a very similar problem with apps disappearing. The problem occurs on the last page (to the right). Several apps go away as well as the search through the launcher stops working.

    I attached a photo and if you look at the top left icon you can see that several are all piled up on top of each other. I only have one Dijit app installed on my phone and had it on my phone several weeks before this problem started. I can also remove apps and have the Pre work correctly for some time. I have not removed the Dijit app that I have. There seems to be a 50/50 chance that it will work correctly after a reboot.

    This may have more to do with a patch issue I have on my Pre.

    Does anyone know if there is a total number of apps you can have? Is there a top that is different from the total memory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I am having a very similar problem with apps disappearing. The problem occurs on the last page (to the right). Several apps go away as well as the search through the launcher stops working.

    ...

    Does anyone know if there is a total number of apps you can have? Is there a top that is different from the total memory.
    craftsman, how many apps do you have on your phone?

    I was grabbing app after app to compare and then never got around to testing them. Earlier this week I realized I had 190+. After eliminating a few apps my phone has returned to normal working order. It wasn't Dijit's app that caused the problem.
  12.    #12  
    I updated my first post. Please re-read it.

    I was wrong. It seems I had too many apps installed. Dijit's app was not to blame.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    craftsman, how many apps do you have on your phone?
    Taking a quick look at Preware it shows

    163 Applications
    4 Linux Applications
    1 Optware
    31 Patches
    1 Plugin
    7 Service
    1 Theme

    Total 208

    Did you find somewhere else of a APP limit?
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.

Posting Permissions