1.    #1  
    If I understand correctly how these apps work, you input tasks/errands/reminders that must be done at/near specific locations. Once the app and your to dos are configured, the app reminds you (alarm?) when you near the location of one of your to dos. Well, that got me thinking as I read a newspaper article tonight...

I have lived the past four years in two different regions that use those blasted speed/traffic light cameras (#&@$%!!) and the article I just read had a map showing the locations of cameras in my area. So I got to thinking...what if you programmed those locations into one of these "geo" apps and set reminders for when you appraoched them? ALERT!! SLOW DOWN!!

Just a thought...

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    For the second part, use Trapster. Seems to work well for me.
    I haven't tried Trapster, but if it runs in the background and the data found in the app is pretty accurate, I'd say that would be the best way to accomplish this. But if you have to remember to open the app (in card mode) when you drive for it to monitor for speedtraps, I don't think that would work too well. Using an app like GeoStrings (which runs in the background) would be a great way to remind yourself of these type of speedtraps. I never even thought of using it that way.

I actually plan on creating a new video series called "GeoStrings Tales" where I'll share interesting stories on how I used the app. I'm going to invite people to post their own stories in the comments section (or as video replies), so when I post my first video in the series, be sure to post this since I think it could help some people out.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    My radar detector has this built in. Set up a trap point and it will remind you 1 mile, 1/4 mile and .1 mile away. Also uses that same tech to skip some of the reoccuring false alarms from sliding doors and such.
    Trapster's neat, but you do need to start it up every time you get into the car. Plus, I think it's more accurate in more populated areas because it relies on reports from users to let it know where speed traps are frequently set up. The more user reports, the more accurate it is. If you already know the few spots in your area where you should be watching out, I think it's a fantastic idea to use GeoStrings to remind you! As Dan said, it's always running in the background, so you never have to remember to turn it on when you get in the car.

ETA: And if you don't already have a radar detector like scoobdude, this'll save you the money to buy one.
    Of course the sure-fire way to avoid tickets is to always drive below the speed limit. But then again you may not know what the speed limit is in a particular area.

Before I worked on GeoStrings, I had another idea for an app. It would run in the background monitoring your speed and compare it to a database of speed limits and based upon your current position alert you if you exceeded the current speed limit. The problem was I could not find any public speed limit databases.

This type of app would be the ultimate driving companion because not only would it help avoid tickets, it would also keep you driving more safely at all times, not just during speed traps.

But I still think the original idea in this thread is very good.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Of course the sure-fire way to avoid tickets is to always drive below the speed limit.
    What?! Go below the speed limit??

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    The problem was I could not find any public speed limit databases.
    Maps websites can calculate how long your drive would be so I wonder where they get their database. I found wikispeedia with a quick search but they don't seem that complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Maps websites can calculate how long your drive would be so I wonder where they get their database. I found wikispeedia with a quick search but they don't seem that complete.
    That's a good question. I saw wikispeedia; however I can't find any published API to access their database. I emailed them and we'll see if they respond.

google (and most everone else) buys their stuff from teleatlas including speed limits etc... its expensive. If there were a reliable public database I bet they would save their money and use it.
    Saved me today!! Thanks trapster!