Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I have 2 palm pres under my sprint account. 1 is mine, and one is my girlfriends. I have bought quite a few apps on my phone, and I used to be able to put download all the games I paid for on her phone for free. That doesn't work anymore, and it kinda sucks because I don't want to pay for everything twice if I don't have to. I have the same credit card information on both of our app catalouge accounts. So basically, if I buy an app on my phone, I should be able to download it for free on hers right? If yes, then why can't I? If no then that really sucks because I used to be able to. Thanks

Fej180
    you would have to have the same palm profile in both phones which is not possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fej180 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I have 2 palm pres under my sprint account. 1 is mine, and one is my girlfriends. I have bought quite a few apps on my phone, and I used to be able to put download all the games I paid for on her phone for free. That doesn't work anymore, and it kinda sucks because I don't want to pay for everything twice if I don't have to. I have the same credit card information on both of our app catalouge accounts. So basically, if I buy an app on my phone, I should be able to download it for free on hers right? If yes, then why can't I? If no then that really sucks because I used to be able to. Thanks

Fej180
    Really? You kidding? Your stealing apps, and your complaining that Palm figured it out and blocked it. Are you really that dense, or just a troll?
    Give the guy a break...how many people enjoy buying software twice, one for their system and one for another computer phone or otherwise.

Most people don't remember the 80s when all we had was IBM PCs and the little company called Microsoft making DOS and Windows 3.11. Microsoft software policies were VERY open ENDED allowing us to use apps on as many computers we had access too...not like most people had more than 1 computer....mosts houses didn't have more then one TV (now I have 4) let alone 1 or more computers.

Either way, the smoke and mirror idea was...get the Word (literally and figuratively) out and show others how good MS Word really is.

Yes those days have changed and now we buy Family Packs, Student Editions, or otherwise to save where we can. With the App Catalog, this is not yet an option, except for when developers cut their prices for special event, sales, etc.

Now for all the High and Mighty app developers here with all your angst and finger pointing and "your stealing," it maybe a good time to look a little closer in the mirror and stop judging other people.

No one is perfect or at least thankfully I'm not. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 02/04/2010 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Give the guy a break...how many people enjoy buying software twice, one for their system and one for another computer phone or otherwise.

Now for all the High and Mighty app developers here with all your angst and finger pointing and "your stealing," it maybe a good time to look a little closer in the mirror and stop judging other people.

No one is perfect or at least thankfully I'm not. Sorli...

And exactly what do you do for a living? Do you work for free? I'm guessing not. They why should all of us "High and Mighty" app developers work for free.

If you go back and read the license agreement for all of that free software, it stated you could install it on more than one computer, but was only allowed to run one copy at a time.

If you can't afford 99 cents, or even $9.99 to buy an app for each phone you have, then you probably don't need to be spending that much on a phone, and service any way. You probably be better off with a cheap phone and rate plan to save your money for more important things.

I'm sick and tired of these lazy *** people who think stealing is perfectly fine, since it doesn't affect them. Since you’re so high and mighty maybe you should pony up some money to help the guy buy the apps he wants.
    Actually, I am also a software developer (web developer per say) and know to well the ends and outs of people stealing code. Actually High and Mighty was a little harsh, but developers like you, me, and everyone have been in these situations and my Point is not to justify what that person is doing.

$.99 is not a lot of money, but last I checked...most of the apps and the one most people want in the App Catalog are not .99 cents. Would love to see an article and poll on what people think should be the average price for apps through the catalog - Derek???

It takes time to update and make apps people want to buy. I'm working on one that I plan to offer for free simply because I want more people to have it the information then what would be limited by me selling the same app. I, like everyone else developing, have to decide if what we have is worth selling, promoting by advertising, or simply offering for Free and asking for donations.

To be honest, I haven't purchased anything from the app catalog and have know plans as of yet simply because there isn't anything there I have to have. Sooner or later this will change and I've tried some of the new 3D apps with free trials like Asphalt5 that actually work VERY WELL.

Do I think people should be buy $.99 apps...yes, are apps worth $1.99, $4.99 and $9.99...sure there are, and how bout $24.99 yes it can be. I'm an old Palm Treo, Zodiac 2, Palm 5 and the list goes on the software I've purchased and used on the older Palm OS platforms. One of my favorite apps was Smartlist to Go (Database program that many of you may remember) and I'm sitting here staring at the original software box on my desk as I type. I can't use it anymore without something like Classic and I used to use that religiously everyday to Log my Mileage while traveling from client to client, but stopped since using the emulator was just too inconvenient and simply wanting to move away completely from my Palm OS legacy now that I'm on webOS.

I'm sure others out there can relate and please note I've contacted the developer for Docs to Go and Smartlist to Go with hopes they would finally port their software and make the move back to Palm and webOS. Same old same old...we're busy working on it, but have no scheduled time frame when it will be released on webOS.

To be honest....I'm one of those lazy people....I could write a database like Smartlist to Go and make a similar product, but simply don't have those skills and it would simply be cheaper to wait and buy it from someone else.

Thankfully, these type of apps are on the way and I'm looking forward to making purchases for apps I can no longer live without.

Thanks and sorry for the miss use of words. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRR View Post
    Really? You kidding? Your stealing apps, and your complaining that Palm figured it out and blocked it. Are you really that dense, or just a troll?
    I realize I am reviving an old thread here, but its my thread and I wanted to clarify and clear my name here. I guess I only read the first response and then moved on because I never read your response until today when I was looking through my old posts.

First of all, I don't know how but I did originally and accidentally find some sort of loop hole to where if I paid for an app on my phone I could download it for free on my girlfriends phone. Somehow our profiles were mixed but still separated, don't ask me how it worked because I don't have a clue, all I know is that it did and it eventually caused problems and I had to go into palm.com and adjust my palm profile and make hers separate from mine and I don't remember the details anymore because it has been so long.

But put yourself in my shoes, if you have a pre you buy apps and then a couple months later you get your girlfriend a pre and she can download all the apps you bought for free. My initial though wasn't "Oh sweet, I found a loophole and I can steal." This was my first smart phone and I didn't really know how things worked. I figured since we were on the same plan maybe that's just how it worked and when it stopped working it did suck. Not because I couldn't steal anymore, but I thought that she was supposed to be getting them for free if she was on my account.

I hope that makes sense and people understand that I thought when she also had to pay that there was something wrong. I have since learned that I was wrong about how things worked and I have no problem paying for apps on both phones now that I understand that that's how it works. Anyway, I just don't want people thinking that I am trying to steal apps.

Thanks