Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FINAL FINAL UPDATE: The survey results have been published on the Remember the Milk website blog. Check it out here: http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2010...0-the-results/ Palm WebOS scored second in number of requests for a brand new mobile application, beat out only by Blackberry. I feel proud that I was able to help generate so much activity in that department, at least.

FINAL UPDATE:The survey has been closed. Thanks to all who participated in helping to make an official RTM application a possibility.

We have a chance to see a truly useful application developed for our phones: an OFFICIAL Remember the Milk application!

They just posted a blog with a link to a survey about where they should head in terms of development for the current year.

They're (Remember the Milk mobile development) trying to find out in which direction to proceed in in the coming year with application development. We've got to knock down the door of these developers and let them know that we want to see this app made, once and for all!

In case you don't know what Remember the Milk (RTM) is, it's basically a to-do list and checklist online management service. Essentially, what a RTM application would do for us is allow us to synchronize any number of to-do lists with an online backup. Also, you can share these online to-do lists and truly share these lists with other mobile phone users, whether they be on iPhone, Android, or whatever (there are already RTM apps for these phones, and they're WORLDS better than the one that we have which is in beta).

The WebOS application store has a huge impact on WebOS device sales. What customers (and potential customers) see in our application store (or DON'T see in our store) affects their opinion of the Web OS itself. It's an unfortunate truth that a good OS can't stand alone anymore on a smart phone. Today's game is all about the application variety and quality.

My point here is that Remember the Milk is a popular website. Every application that is released for WebOS from popular sources is a huge boost in publicity for not only the Pre and Pixi but more importantly, for this KILLER operating system!

Being the low ones on the totem pole, we've got to fight every step of the way to help keep this OS going. I know if you're here and you're reading this, then you feel as I do that we have an amazing OS to use.

So if you want to help make this happen, let's let 'em know!

1.) Go to Remember The Milk Mobile Survey 2010: Help Bob Decide! - Remember The Milk Blog

2.) Click "Take the Remember the Milk Mobile Survey".

3 .) Take the survey (I suggest choosing options strategically to help increase the chances of getting them to decide in our favor, but maybe that's just me?)

UPDATE: In the survey on the last page, one question asks what specifically you'd like them to develop in the coming year. There are two choices. One is for them to create an entirely new RTM application from scratch for WebOS. The other is for them to modify the existing 'Tasks' application on our phones to allow for tasks syncing.

If they modify the existing application, I can't imagine they'd have as much use of all of the wonderful features of RTM as if they just developed a brand new application. Therefore, I believe that to see the best application possible for online tasks management.

If you agree, you SHOULD select "Palm webOS: Develop new standalone app"

and NOT THIS ONE:
    Palm webOS: Develop app to sync with Palm webOS tasks

You're done! You've helped the cause significantly!
    Last edited by BBuncky2; 05/26/2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Done did it!

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Done!

Come everyone go ahead and fill out the survey and request a native WebOS app. Even if you dont use RTM you might some day and you will be glad you filled out the survey. TIA
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  4.    #4  
    Thanks so much, guys. Please pass the word on to whoever will listen. I've created a personal Facebook Note and actually tagged as many people as possible in it. I know it's spam but I'm really enthusiastic about the possibility of this application (if you couldn't tell...)
    done
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Done
    Ditto.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    done!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Done!!!
    Did it. Dolphinking had a well polished app for rtm but had to scale it back and is currently being distributed through preware as cowtasks. I would love for them to just make it so that it syncs to the current task manager.
    done
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Done!
    done
    Guys, remember to fill in the Dropbox survey as well! (needs login):
    https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/67/a...n-for-palm-pre
    You are contributing to the success of WebOS this way!
    done
    Love my Pre!!!!! Psn: tj501
    Took care of this last night. Hoping it works out.
  17.    #17  
    Everyone, I just wrote an e-mail to PreCentral.net urging them to post a story on their main feed about this situation, or to at least point users to this thread.

Here's what I wrote:

Pre Central Guys,

As you probably realize, the WebOS' native 'Tasks' application is lacking in a few important areas. One of which is network synchronization and task sharing. This is a common complaint from by myself and many users here on the forums.

One such solution is to leverage one of the many online to-do list and websites out there and use those to do the work. Well that's exactly what one user did. He leveraged the API from the existing service Remember the Milk (RTM, for short) in order to create a beta-version application. However this application never really reached "usable" status, and the user has abandoned the project and left it as open source.

There's another solution, which for only a short time can Pre users have an influence in making happen.

Mobile Development at Remember the Milk itself is holding a survey asking users to help decide on where they should focus their efforts in the coming year.

If Remember the Milk actually generated their own application for WebOS, it would mean worlds to WebOS users worldwide! We'd finally have a way to share to-do lists with other people, other than just by finding work-arounds through something like the calendar.

My request for you is just to post a story about this on your main page. That would incite the largest possible response from WebOS users (larger than I could possibly rally up).

Details:

Here is my forum post about this: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ssibility.html

Here's what I've written on that forum post:

We have a chance to see a truly useful application developed for our phones: an OFFICIAL Remember the Milk application!

They just posted a blog with a link to a survey about where they should head in terms of development for the current year.

They're (Remember the Milk mobile development) is trying to find out in which direction to proceed in in the coming year with application development. We've got to knock down the door of these developers and let them know that we want to see this app made, once and for all!

In case you don't know what Remember the Milk (RTM) is, it's basically a to-do list and checklist online management service. Essentially, what a RTM application would do for us is allow us to synchronize any number of to-do lists with an online backup. Also, you can share these online to-do lists and truly share these lists with other mobile phone users, whether they be on iPhone, Android, or whatever (there are already RTM apps for these phones, and they're WORLDS better than the one that we have which is in beta).

So if you want to help make this happen, let's let 'em know!

1.) Go to Remember The Milk Mobile Survey 2010: Help Bob Decide! - Remember The Milk Blog

2.) Click "Take the Remember the Milk Mobile Survey".

3 .) Take the survey (I suggest choosing options strategically to help increase the chances of getting them to decide in our favor, but maybe that's just me?)

You're done! You've helped the cause significantly!"

If you could please help out either by pointing users to the forum post, or better yet by actually posting a story on you main feed, I would be very grateful!

Sincerely,

Brett

So let's hope that this makes a difference and gets people to push for this application.
    I am concerned that if RTM develops an app that syncs with the existing webOS tasks app that we will get a far less functional app that if the develop a standalone app. They will spend time trying working on syncing to very limited set of fields that webOS supports, and much less time working on functionality that is useful. We will not likely get tags support, etc. I think we want RTM to develop their own webOS data store designed to maximize the functionality of the app. Besides, if you have RTM on your phone, would you ever use the native Tasks app? It doesn't even sync to anything, does it? Can't image you would ever use it.

If you agree, make sure you check this box when filling out the survey:
    Palm webOS: Develop new standalone app

and NOT THIS ONE:

I also think you should make sure not to check any other items on that page of the survey - don't give any other platforms any competing votes!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryrosenhagen View Post
    I am concerned that if RTM develops an app that syncs with the existing webOS tasks app that we will get a far less functional app that if the develop a standalone app. They will spend time trying working on syncing to very limited set of fields that webOS supports, and much less time working on functionality that is useful. We will not likely get tags support, etc. I think we want RTM to develop their own webOS data store designed to maximize the functionality of the app. Besides, if you have RTM on your phone, would you ever use the native Tasks app? It doesn't even sync to anything, does it? Can't image you would ever use it.

If you agree, make sure you check this box when filling out the survey:
    Palm webOS: Develop new standalone app

and NOT THIS ONE:

I also think you should make sure not to check any other items on that page of the survey - don't give any other platforms any competing votes!
    Well I'm not sure what RTM could or couldn't do with the native Tasks application, so I'll stay out of that.

But I'm sure you're right about users not using their Tasks app once they have a RTM app. If implemented right (ability to work offline, and to switch to offline mode until a usable toggle is enabled), we'd probably have no reason to go back to the Tasks application. I guess it depends on how good of a job they do on their application if it's created.
    I'm 99% sure that the current API's will not allow any app to sync with the WebOS task app. Therefore they would have to build a stand alone app which I know would be my preference.

Regardless. Please be sure to fill out the survey!!!!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast