Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Hey everyone,

My app ToDo Classic is now in the App Catalog. I would greatly appreciate your input/suggestions. I have a number of things planned for it.

My basic goal was to provide functionality similar to that offered in the ToDo app in Palm OS. I've missed using that for years.

Previous discussion/info/screenshots is over in the homebrew forums at http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?t=224842 but I would like to move the discussion over here going forward.

Thanks!!
    Nathan, I've been a ToDo Classic user for several weeks and like it very much. I purchased it today from the App Catalog. How can I import my ToDo list from the Palm Desktop? I have them in a CSV file now. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Nathan, I've been a ToDo Classic user for several weeks and like it very much. I purchased it today from the App Catalog. How can I import my ToDo list from the Palm Desktop? I have them in a CSV file now. Thanks!
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it. There is no direct way to import from a Palm Desktop export, but it can be done with a little work. I would suggest entering a few items into ToDo Classic and exporting. Look at the file to see how the data is formatted. Then copy the info from inside the CSV file into the ToDo Classic export file. It's going to take some work, but less than retyping everything.

Once you get it all setup, rename the file to todoclassic.xml and put it in the root of the media partition, then choose Import from the menu.

Hope that helps. Sorry it's not easier.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I appreciate the help!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I originally got this from the homebrew section I believe. Now I see it in the app catalog with an update. That update has been failing for two days now. Do you have any idea why it would be failing?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaffa View Post
    I originally got this from the homebrew section I believe. Now I see it in the app catalog with an update. That update has been failing for two days now. Do you have any idea why it would be failing?
    I'm sorry, but there is a problem moving from the homebrew to the catalog version. You will need to export your data, delete the app, reboot, install from the app catalog, then import your data.

My apologies for the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Thanks! I'm glad you like it. There is no direct way to import from a Palm Desktop export, but it can be done with a little work. I would suggest entering a few items into ToDo Classic and exporting. Look at the file to see how the data is formatted. Then copy the info from inside the CSV file into the ToDo Classic export file. It's going to take some work, but less than retyping everything.

Once you get it all setup, rename the file to todoclassic.xml and put it in the root of the media partition, then choose Import from the menu.

Hope that helps. Sorry it's not easier.
    Nathan, Your instructions worked just fine. I have a rudimentary understanding of HTML and formatted my 70+ ToDos accordingly. I also had to manually replace "&" with the word "and", but everything worked normally after that. Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I'm sorry, but there is a problem moving from the homebrew to the catalog version. You will need to export your data, delete the app, reboot, install from the app catalog, then import your data.

My apologies for the issue.
    This problem is not exclusive to ToDo Classic. I have been using several freeware apps that become shareware. In all instances, the application will not "update". They must be deleted and then PURCHASED in order to obtain the updated version.
    nlowhor,

I have not followed all discussions, and may have missed those regarding suggesting new features. Pardon me if this is repetitive.

I would love to see color coding of categories or items within each category to visually denote PRIORITY. As an alternative, I would find numeric priority levels useful.

Also, I would find the delete confirmation dialog helpful once swiping an item for deletion.

Thanks for considering!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Nathan, Your instructions worked just fine. I have a rudimentary understanding of HTML and formatted my 70+ ToDos accordingly. I also had to manually replace "&" with the word "and", but everything worked normally after that. Thanks again!
    Great! I'm glad you were able to get things moved over. Hope it didn't take too much of your time.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    This problem is not exclusive to ToDo Classic. I have been using several freeware apps that become shareware. In all instances, the application will not "update". They must be deleted and then PURCHASED in order to obtain the updated version.
    I think the issue is the app having the exact same appid. Technically I should've named the homebrew version slightly different so that they are seen as 2 different apps. Sorry for your trouble.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    nlowhor,

I have not followed all discussions, and may have missed those regarding suggesting new features. Pardon me if this is repetitive.

I would love to see color coding of categories or items within each category to visually denote PRIORITY. As an alternative, I would find numeric priority levels useful.

Also, I would find the delete confirmation dialog helpful once swiping an item for deletion.

Thanks for considering!
    Thanks for the input! I do plan on adding numeric priority like we had in the PalmOS todo app. However, I had not thought about integrating some sort of visual component to that. I'll have to think about that more...could be cool.

As far as delete confirmation, I want to keep it quick and simple to mark an item completed. Technically you do get an extra level of protection still. Swiping an item only marks it as complete. It can still be viewed by hitting the trashcan which will show all completed items in light gray at the bottom of your list. Swiping a completed item permanently deletes it. Hope that helps.
    Yes, having that extra level of protection does help. I had to re-read the features before I caught on to that particular feature. As long as that's there, I no longer believe a delete confirmation dialog is necessary. Thanks for replying.

How about an alarm for items due "Today"? The user can set the default alarm time (e.g. 9:00am).
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Yes, having that extra level of protection does help. I had to re-read the features before I caught on to that particular feature. As long as that's there, I no longer believe a delete confirmation dialog is necessary. Thanks for replying.

How about an alarm for items due "Today"? The user can set the default alarm time (e.g. 9:00am).
    I'm already considering some sort of alarm feature since users have requested it. I was thinking more about being able to set an alarm per item though.
    I bought this app today when I saw daily recurring option was added. The only thing I'd like to see is an every other week repeating option.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I bought this app today when I saw daily recurring option was added. The only thing I'd like to see is an every other week repeating option.
    Thanks! I hope to add some more options/control to the recurring feature later on.
    Bought the app today and I really like it. Everything that I need is already in place except for syncing to Toodledo.

When you add priorities, will it be possible to hide that column if one doesn't use them? The interface is fantastic as it is now. Keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Bought the app today and I really like it. Everything that I need is already in place except for syncing to Toodledo.

When you add priorities, will it be possible to hide that column if one doesn't use them? The interface is fantastic as it is now. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks! Yeah I'm itching to get some online sync working. All in due time.

I agree with having the ability to hide priorities. Personally I'm not sure I would use them and don't want them taking up space. I'd like to incorporate them in a way that doesn't take up much room though.
    Sweet! Thanks for working on this!
    Once you get recurring tasks working, I WILL purchase a device and this app!

edit: I guess I should clarify. Looks like Daily recurring works, but weird options like "Fixed Schedule" / "After Completed" and the other arbitrary time tables for the recurrence are what I'm talking about.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Hi,

I purchased ToDo Classic the other day (now that paid apps are available in the UK) and it's good - I've been gradually transferring tasks out of the built in app into yours.

Couple of feature requests.

i) Redo tasks. This is like a recurring task except that recurs x days (or other period) after the task is completed. For example, let's say I'm supposed to water my plants every 5 days, but I forget and don't do it until the 7th day. With a redo task, the next reminder would be 5 days away, (whereas with a recurring task it would be just 3 days away)

ii) Priorities - I know you've mentioned that this is on your list already but I was going to mention the variant of A - Important / Urgent, B - Important / Not urgent, C - Not important / Urgent and D - Not important / Not urgent. I think this comes from Getting Things Done but I've seen it on a couple of management courses. Basically, the A tasks are your top priority followed by B tasks and you can drop Cs & Ds if you need to.

iii) Lead time - for each task allow a lead time property which can be tied to a display feature. For example, I might have a task that needs to be done in 3 months time, so I don't need to see it now. If I set a lead time of 2 weeks, it will appear in my task list 2 weeks before the deadline.

Anyway, just a couple of suggestions.

Thanks,

Andrew
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast