1.    #1  
    What is the best directory assistance app for webos if any?
    m.whitepages.com
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ry94080 View Post
    What, specifically, do you want?

The solution could be anything from calling 411 (costs money), to calling GOOG-411 (free), to using universal search/Google, to "category" apps like Where.

Personally, if I know the name of the business and the city, I just use universal search. The resulting Google page displays nicely on the Pre, has a "call" button, etc.

I can even try categories, such as "sushi fargo, nd."

May not be as fancy as one of the apps, but does the job quite well.

Do you need/want something more?
  4.    #4  
    There was an app for PalmOS called tryDA, which was a directory assistance app. I'm just now transitioning over to WebOS and was curious to see if there was anything similar.
    I used to use TryDA too. Great little tool. I'd like to know if there's an equivalent for the WebOS too.
    There was an app for PalmOS called tryDA, which was a directory assistance app. I'm just now transitioning over to WebOS and was curious to see if there was anything similar.
    I don't believe there's anything quite like that yet for WebOS (although you can use tryDA through Classic if you really love that app).

As others have suggested GOOG-411 is quite good, or (since WebOS is well integrated to the Web) a universal search (which typically ends up in Google) is usually pretty effective ... especially since any phone number on the browser can be dialed by just tapping.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Having looked at the description of TryDA at their web site, I'd say that you'll find that Universal Search/Google will do the trick for you.

Google Maps or Sprint Navigator (if you're on Sprint) also work well for this sort of thing, if what you're interested in is what's closest/how do I get there (as opposed to a phone number).

Goog-411, which is a free call, is most like the normal 411. You call, say what you want. Better for when you're driving, where you can't use a keyboard or look at a screen. Just dial 1-800-GOOG-411. Heck, make it speed dial!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    usually a google search is all I need, as it will automatically pull the results form local businesses. all I have to do is tap on the number, and it calls them.
    The nice thing with tryda was that it lets you copy the results to a contact so you have it for future. Even though google maps shows the address and number, there doesn't seem to be a way of copying the address and saving it. Tapping the number is great though, but saving the results would be amazing.
    Google search or YPmobile

Neither are as good as tryDA was.

I've submitted a formal request to the developers expressing my interest in a tryDA for WebOS.

I suggest you do the same... https://www.tryda.com/Public/contact-telepages.aspx
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    TryDA is a great application for PalmOS users but I have to agree that the WebOS universal search replaces it pretty well.

One little known fact is that you can also get info via text messages to 46645 (GOOGL). In today's world of Smartphones this is probably a bit archiac. But if you want something less interactive, its not a bad way to go.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    just start typing on your phone and hit the google maps button everything pops up around that your looking for . thats what i have used since my palm os phone treo650p 700w and 755p
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    MLJones8: Thanks, I tried YPMOBILE and yes, lets you add the results to a contact (and even create a calendar appointment which is a bonus) . I'm happy with that, even though it adds it to a ypmobile address list and not my outlook address list. I sync to outlook using pocketmirror so my office outlook wont have those contacts and unfortunately that means those contacts wont be backed up , but I can live with that.
    Thanks for info...