Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Agreed, I say 2.99 is the most I'd pay for a pro version of this app.
    Just letting you all know, v1.1.0 was added to the catalog this morning.

Now including keyboard shortcuts, and undo!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeSlaw View Post
    Just letting you all know, v1.1.0 was added to the catalog this morning.

Now including keyboard shortcuts, and undo!
    Thank you! I love this app, by far the BEST paint app out there.
    Just found this thread, and this app.

I love it.. its a great way to keep busy when you need something...

I am not near the arteeeste , that you guys are, but here is my very first Paintr Lite creation.

house.png

Id pay $1.99 for the pro version
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

CodeSlaw,

I'm so excited about this app! I'm an oil painter and have been waiting for a decent painting app since day 1 with the pre. I love Paintr so far. Attached is my first shot with Paintr of a simple mountain lake scene. I'll do some more soon.

The app works great, but I have one wish. It's a big one and a must have for me: custom colors. I need to be able to select one of those colors hit "edit" and adjust it (hue, value and saturation). Right now as the first post mentions we have to create other colors by mixing colors of different opacities. This is a cool effect and very similar to how you work with pastels. However, if we can adjust colors in the palette it will be much more possible to paint with some bold strokes, yet maintain true color accuracy. You do that and I promise to make some cool stuff. But either way, I'll be the first to buy the pro version.

Here are some of my little paintings to give you an idea of my style:
    Jeff Mahorney- Paintings by North Carolina artist Jeff Mahorney on DailyPainters.com

Again I'm really excited about this app. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'll make some more paintings and post about Paintr on my blogs, facebook, twitter etc.

Best,
    Jeff
    120 Paintings

P.S. I'm diggin the codeslaw logo on your blog.
    Jeff - I am super impressed. Both your real oil paintings and your Paintr creation are phenomenal. I think the most rewarding thing about this app is seeing what people can create with it. There are clearly some extremely talented artists with Palm Pres out there.

The color wheel is definitely a priority feature for the Pro version, though it is still somewhat up in the air. Being as this app is built completely in HTML5/Javascript, it is heavily dependant on the support for cutting edge features. WebOS is doing great so far at implementing them, but they haven't opened up one single API that I would require to open a floodgate of features, including full RGB color. The lack of this API is also the reason why screen captures are the only way we can save images.

I've worked out ways to get around a lot of the lack of features, including a method to save hi-res images, but the color selection tool still evades me. With the coming PDK, there are more options for me to explore.

Anyhow, sorry to go into such detail, but the point is, I am reluctant to release a Pro version of this app that lacks things that you'd expect from a pro app, and as such, it will have to wait. I do plan on adding some more features into the Lite version though, in particular, a way for people to share their art with everyone else using the program.

Definitely keep me posted on any more paintings you do (that goes for everyone) and as soon as the new gallery functionality is ready, I'd like to pre-populate it with any images you guys might like to see included. Again, thanks for the interest, it's really gratifying to see people using and enjoying the program. And definitely spread the word, the more people making art, the better.

-Chris
    One of my favorite apps and I literally have downloaded 100+ (Not concurrently of course as some don't deserve to waste space on my Pre past the first load). I've only begun to dink around with it, but it really is great. If jmahorney is the first to buy the pro version, I'll surely be second.
    Thanks Chris

Here's my second shot at it:

I agree Chris, I think it'll be a real joy to see what all the different artists bring to Paintr.

I think I understand what you're saying and thanks very much for the info. So in short, you think there might be more precise color adjustment in the pro version, but you're waiting on the pdk to be released which will hopefully allow you to add these kind of features.

Thanks for keeping at it Chris! Good luck, and we'll keep painting until then.

Jeff
    120 Paintings
    I like this app alot to and features I would like to see is being able to pick a solid background color. The way it is now is the only color that look good as a solid background is black and white, while the other colors show the brush stoke if I color the whole background.

I agree with more colors, I thought I saw apps in the app catalog that have more colors. I haven't brought the apps to see but I'm sure I saw a screenshot of a color picker.

One last thing it would be good to be able to rotate the screen in landscape and the controls rotate also. Like the color box and the brush options.

I use to love to draw back in highschool and would $3 for a paintr pro. There need to be more apps with function instead of all the games. But it sucks that alot of devs keep saying their app can't be the way they want it to be because of palm and the sdk limits. Hopefully they fix all these problems soon!
    OneDeep - Full color selection is is available for things like lines, shapes, and fills, however the Paintr engine relies on a completely custom mechanism for drawing to the canvas. The colors that you see in Paintr are "hardcoded" so to speak, though they were carefully selected to give you maximum options for blending/highlighting with only 16 colors.

Changeable backgrounds will be available in the Pro version. The next update to Lite, however, will likely include the option to load a picture as a background, so you can do things like save a painting to work on later, or trace a photograph in paint, if you'd like.

Thanks for the feedback though, I want the users to generally drive the direction of new features/capabilities. The pro version is going to have some things that you may not expect though, and I really look forward to it's release in the (hopefully) not-so-distant future.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeSlaw View Post
    Jeff - I am super impressed. Both your real oil paintings and your Paintr creation are phenomenal. I think the most rewarding thing about this app is seeing what people can create with it. There are clearly some extremely talented artists with Palm Pres out there.

The color wheel is definitely a priority feature for the Pro version, though it is still somewhat up in the air. Being as this app is built completely in HTML5/Javascript, it is heavily dependant on the support for cutting edge features. WebOS is doing great so far at implementing them, but they haven't opened up one single API that I would require to open a floodgate of features, including full RGB color. The lack of this API is also the reason why screen captures are the only way we can save images.

I've worked out ways to get around a lot of the lack of features, including a method to save hi-res images, but the color selection tool still evades me. With the coming PDK, there are more options for me to explore.

Anyhow, sorry to go into such detail, but the point is, I am reluctant to release a Pro version of this app that lacks things that you'd expect from a pro app, and as such, it will have to wait. I do plan on adding some more features into the Lite version though, in particular, a way for people to share their art with everyone else using the program.

Definitely keep me posted on any more paintings you do (that goes for everyone) and as soon as the new gallery functionality is ready, I'd like to pre-populate it with any images you guys might like to see included. Again, thanks for the interest, it's really gratifying to see people using and enjoying the program. And definitely spread the word, the more people making art, the better.

-Chris
    i freakin love this app. and i appreciate u not releasing an unfinished paid app. id pay 2.99 probably more with some of the features ur talking about. could this app be fully synergized (fb[or any online source], email, mms) zoom sounds really cool, would be usefull to create really detailed work. love this app and love the potential. keep up the good work.
    WOW! jmahorney!!

I just LOVE your Paintr pics.. HOW do you get the mixing of colors like you have? I have played around with the opacity, brush size and , style and cant seem to get close. Granted Im NOT artistic, but I LOVE playing with drawing and painting, its like theraputic. Id love to get some blended colors like you have.

Codeslaw, this app is really SUPER!! One of the really few I actually use, and will use on a regular basis.

Again I am NOT a good artist, but LOVE this app and LOVE to play with it, and take my mind to other places.

My pics look like a 4 year old did them, but I dont care I like them

This is one I did, trying to blend the colors, but its just not even on the same planet as to what you seem to be able to do so easily

Beach

paintrlite_2010-18-02_182243.png

Bad Self Portrait (currently on my husbands wallpaper hahah)

paintrlite_2010-15-02_161328.png
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Thanks Diane,
    Kind of you to say so.

It's just practice. Mostly it's the practice of judging colors. Any scene can be broken down into just a few big blocks of colors. You then adjust the color in comparison to the others. You ask "Is this color supposed to be lighter/darker, warmer/cooler, brighter/greyer that the color block next to it"?
    Anyhoo, For more about it, I've got a digital painting tutorial here:
    120 Paintings: Digital Starts

In Painter, I mix a color by taking the closest one I can find and making a solid color block. After that I adjust it slightly by adding colors with low opacity (like 20% or less). If the color needs to be warmer I add a layer of red. Maybe that made it darker than I want so I add some white. etc.

Remember to squint your eyes to judge how light/dark the color is. Defocusing eyes helps you judge the hue and saturation.
    After 1.4, forward swipe no longer brings up the toolbar. Space bar still works, though.
  15. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    wow Jeff! Thanks for the pics and the tips!

My 2 year old loves this app too - he likes calling out the colours when 'drawing'.
    My grandkids love painting with my Pre
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great app! Looking forward to pro version.
    I just hope pre brings back forward swipe ahh.. made it so elegant!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I just hope pre brings back forward swipe ahh.. made it so elegant!
    I'm quite sure they will. If you'll notice, forward swipe is broken across all apps (namely the web browser), and according to a Palm employee, the bug has been identified and fixed internally, but didn't make it into the 1.4 OTA release. Should come in with the 1.4.1, which is hopefully very soon, as there are quite a few things they need to address.

I agree though, I basically built the entire interface around the forward swipe, and I would hate for the keyboard to permanently be the only way to access the tools.
    New Update hit the catalog yesterday. Fixes the Pixi bug, removes the borders on the canvas, and adds the Gallery. The gallery has some kinks to work through, but its chugging along.

Let me know what you all think.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast