1.    #1  
    Anybody pick up the ScanCode bar code reader app from the app catalog yet? Can't get it to work with the pre's camera...just wanted to see if others were having better luck?
    Hi,

the problem is indeed the camera of the palm with its fixed focus. Barcodes has to be very large and the light conditions have to be very good. It works better with qr-codes.
  3.    #3  
    well i hope this signifies that palm will be updating the focus mechanism with the new update (if this is possible).
    I could be wrong but wouldn't you have to have the proper hardwear for that.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    well i hope this signifies that palm will be updating the focus mechanism with the new update (if this is possible).
    from what I understand the camera itself, as in the hardware is where the problem is. Perhaps some sort of cheater focus can be programmed into the camera app but I think that might be asking too much.

I downloaded it too but I couldn't get it to read anything but QR-Codes. I've got a lens from a dvd player that i use to take macro shots and a rubber shell for my pre that I don't use since I got the touchstone back. If the lens will make the app read read regular barcodes better then maybe a custom job is in the works.
    Last edited by xome1983; 01/31/2010 at 09:31 AM.
    I tried it, too. No luck with bar codes...and since I have the other QRdeCoder, I deleted this one, at least for now. Hopefully there will be a solution for bar codes at some point, but this isn't urgent for me...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    i got it to work with the barcode below. But i snapped the photo off of my laptop, which is backlit, and the code is huge. i tried it with several smaller ones, with no luck.

EDIT: actually, its not working with the photo pasted on the forum, but it works with the image in This Link

EDIT 2: got it to work with the forum image, but its hit and miss.

Last edited by GarrettQ; 01/31/2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    It's good that it works with this image, because, frequently items like a can of soup will have a barcode this size!
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    It's good that it works with this image, because, frequently items like a can of soup will have a barcode this size!
    lol, you must buy big cans of soup. ive never seen a barcode this size.
    well, I took a picture with the pre's camera, emailed it to my desktop and used windows photo gallery to crop it and clear it up.

Then searched for online barcode reader and got ZXing Decoder Online.

It read it correctly. So it SHOULD be theoretically possible. There's an app called redlaser for the iphone 3G that can analyze fuzzy pictures

Also, has anyone tried this scancode app with the macro lens DIY from DVD player?
    got scancode to work with the huge barcode posted above. TOok a picture from the monitor. So in theory it works. Anyone got a magnifying lens handy?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    well, I took a picture with the pre's camera, emailed it to my desktop and used windows photo gallery to crop it and clear it up.
    Could you upload the picture?
    I tried it today. I'l post pics of my DIY Case in a thread tomorrow for anyone who's interested, it actually turned out pretty good. It works great for taking macro shots but I found it relatively useless for barcode scanning since you had to be too close to get the whole barcode into frame. Gimme like 5 minutes and I'll upload a couple of shots just as an example.
    you could just type the numbers in google and hit search it's the same thing pretty much
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    you could just type the numbers in google and hit search it's the same thing pretty much
    Well yeah, but that's just not as fun. Maybe we should try and get one of these awesome devs to make us a http://ww.upcdatabase.com app. That would be almost as good.
    :P
    My take:

Works fine with Screen Capture off the web. Both product barcodes and QR codes.

Was 0% success with Pre camera. But the HUGE ONE above worked... So good, but not very useful, app. It might come in handy in certain rare situations, but not widely useful on Pre.

I think this is a port from an Iphone app, from what I've read, it works better on Iphone. Still fixed focus, maybe optics a bit better for macro / close ups?

My thanks button no work!