1.    #1  
    I'm hoping that there are some developers out there who can help me understand this better.

Many of us outside of the US are complaining about the lack of a full app store and part of our frustration is that we just don't know why.

Some have blamed Palm, but I'm just not buying that Palm doesn't see how important selling more apps is for the device.

And there are some apps that are outside of the Palm universe that non Americans can't buy. Hulu, Google Voice, just to mention a couple.

And I've heard that there are some beta tests of apps that will eventually go into the Palm catalogue that non americans can't participate in. Not because Palm forbids it, but because the creator of the app can't get legal clearance.

If you make an app, and your American, and it's in the Palm app catalogue, what are the issues around selling your app to the rest of the world? I just really want to get a better understanding of the issues. (So I can better undersand where to focus my frustration )
    Basically, if you want to sell and you don't care about customer support, you can publish the app worlwide without restrictions (if it's free). If you want to create a good user experience, you must publish the app in different languages, and be capable of offer customer support in different languages.

It would be the case that german people with problems request your support in german, and how you would help that people?

Not everyone speaks all the world languages...
    I don't see why support in different languages would be necessary. One can only expect developers to offer support in the language the app was published in, unless stated otherwise. It's then up to the user to decide if he wants to use it or not.

I as a customer would like to choose in which language I use an app. There are a lot of people living abroad who like to use apps in their native language. I think this shouldn'd be restricted locally (like only German apps in Germany, or no German apps in the US).
    Just a personal thing. I'm Dutch living in Germany and get really frustrated when I go to google.com or .nl and get redirected to google.de.

For services like Hulu, I could understand regional limitation because the content isn't available outside the US. Users would only get frustrated after downloading the app abroad.
  4.    #4  
    Canadians and Americans share the same language. It's not language. It must be something else.

I assume it has to do with digital rights. Making sure that app makers are paid properly, and have their rights protected for their intellectual property, but I'm just making that up.

If anyone in the forums is an app maker and knows for sure then please speak up.
    I haven't published my free version, because it is really a demo. It would only frustrate users who want to upgrade and can't purchase the full version. I'll push out to as many countries as possible when Paid Apps are available there, with text explaining that it is English only.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I haven't published my free version, because it is really a demo. It would only frustrate users who want to upgrade and can't purchase the full version. I'll push out to as many countries as possible when Paid Apps are available there, with text explaining that it is English only.
    Ah but lets say you had a completed app. Do you then hand it over to Palm and they tell you what countries it can be sold in and when? Do you negotiate publishing rights for different continents? Or do you deal with the telco?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I've been a long-time user of both Palm and WM devices, and have always been able to buy any app at all that's available - through Handango, or other sites. Moving to a Palm Pre and being in Canada has severely hampered access applications. Don't get me wrong - there are some GREAT free apps out there - Homebrew and the limited number of free apps in the app catalog that we do have access to, but, I'd LOVE to know who to complain to as well. This is just getting more ridiculous as time goes on....