Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I was pretty excited about Slacker, from what I had heard. The song selection is way better than Pandora, but the sound quality is still pretty low. It's still nowhere near CD quality. Oh well. It sounds ok on small computer speakers at least. Sounds awful in the car, though.
    Just tried it for the first time while driving and ... to answer my own question ... it seems like it does it's own buffering song-by-song, more like Pandora than streaming stations. Pretty stable, no skips if I go through some low-signal areas.

I found some preset stations I like, haven't tried the custom stations yet (which is what I really like about Pandora). So far it seems pretty similar to Pandora, with just enough difference to be a nice alternative. It does seem to have some problems remembering your login (not every time, but occasionally) and I had one glitch where it didn't switch smoothly between EVDO and WiFi. Overall a very nice app.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevillain View Post
    I was pretty excited about Slacker, from what I had heard. The song selection is way better than Pandora, but the sound quality is still pretty low. It's still nowhere near CD quality. Oh well. It sounds ok on small computer speakers at least. Sounds awful in the car, though.
    Slacker sounds pretty awesome in my car and I'm playing over bluetooth. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the sound system? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Slacker sounds pretty awesome in my car and I'm playing over bluetooth. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the sound system? :-)
    Nah, I don't think that's it. Maybe the sound output on my pre is messed up, because nobody else seems to have a problem.
    Update available: 0.9.4

App now available officially in the App Catalog (out of beta).

Don't notice anything different.

Updates (they're minor):
    Nag screen differs...1 month and 12 month pricing vs 3months and 12 months
    Minor update to the way the app calculates time left of a song
    Other minor updates to error handling, including when logging out
    Re-organized menu

...minor as you can see.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 02/01/2010 at 09:48 PM.
    apparently the app isn't available in Canada either, even though I pay for, and use the Slacker service. That pretty much sucks. Any way I can get it on my pre? =/
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    Use RadioTime. Search -> India.
    I already have that one... hehe
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    was curious if I upgrade to slacker plus will I be able to play a particular song at will? for example lets say i want to listen to billie jean/michael jackson.

can I create a play list with this song only and play it without having to listen to other songs?

I'm trying to find a music app that will let me choose what songs I want to play.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I posted to the Slacker forums asking about dashboard support. Not sure if anyone from Slacker reads messages here, but that seems like a good place to request dashboard features... Slacker WebOS Application
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevillain View Post

Yeah frankly I don't know what all these guys are talking about - Pandora sounds way better. I have my Pandora quality set to High though so maybe that is what makes it sound better.

Slacker sounds flat and there is very little thump to the songs. They sound tinny and compressed. I have a nice sound system so it certainly isn't that either.

I'm guessing they stream at 64k and pandora at 128k maybe. I dunno but it's like night and day to me.
    That's exactly what I've been saying. In the car, Slacker has no kick whatsoever. It drops all the bass out and just sounds small.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV79 View Post
    Everytime I open the app, it makes me enter my email and password. Has anybody been able to get the app to save this info line pandora so that it does not have to be enetered everytime? Big pain when you are in the car and cannot open the app with one touch.
    I'm having the same problem. Slacker is not saving my login information.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Slacker is not saving my login information.
    I haven't had that problem in 0.9.1 or 0.9.4.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Slacker and Pandora both sound great in my car and hooked to my home system. Pandora webOS app HQ is 64k, not sure what Slacker is.
    I'm not seeing my costom stations in the app. Do you have to upgrade for this?
    Just an FYI, Slacker app showed up in the Canadian app store today, a day after I contacted them asking when it would be available(heh). This app is pretty awesome. Slacker is by far the best streaming radio service available in Canada, nice that I can stream it to my Pre now
    1.0.1 Update available

Fixes:
    This version fixes some small bugs as well as adds in the search feature to allow you to search for an artist or song and play a radio station based around the searched artist or song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Anyone know what the 1.0.1 update does?
    Adds the ability to search.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Slacker and Pandora both sound great in my car and hooked to my home system. Pandora webOS app HQ is 64k, not sure what Slacker is.
    Per the slacker forums:

The Bitrates are the same as Pandora (according to public comments made by Pandoras team, I can't comment other than that).

If you use wifi, you are getting MP3 128 files. If you are using OTA then you are getting AAC files that are comparable in quality, but smaller in size.

Best regards,
    Rome E
    Slacker Support
    No matter what the Slacker team is saying, it is obvious that the sound quality of Slacker is waaaay worse than Pandora. I compared both today in my car, and Slacker lacks any kind of low end. The song selection is better in Slacker, but the quality is just crap. I hope they upgrade it soon.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast