1.    #1  
    GeoStrings is the best of an exciting new category of applications that use location as the trigger for an alarm instead of time.

At only $3 it is a must have application for your Pre/Pixi and it is a truly useful app that (so far) can't be replicated on any other device. (Your Iphone CAN'T do this.) I hate to over sell it, and use such hyperbolic terms like "game changer", "paradigm shift" and "killer app" but that is what this category of application is. GeoStrings is the best of the bunch and has surprisingly little impact on battery life.

Have you ever tried to time a calendar entry or to-do item to remind you of something when you got home, or got to work, or passed a store? But you just didn't guess right, or didn't know when you would ever be in the neighborhood of that one particular store? Have you ever just driven home on autopilot and forgot to turn off early to stop off at the video store and drop off the videos you rented?

GeoStrings allows you to choose a location as the trigger that will set off a reminder on your phone. It will vibrate and chirp at you with its distinctive tone as you pass the location and give you a pop up with reminder text that you get to choose. You also have room for entering a longer memo if you choose. Once the alarm pops up, you can time snooze it, dismiss it or press the 'boomerang' icon to geo-snooze it. In other words, it will dismiss the alarm until the next time you come back to the area.

There are many other handy features such as custom radius size for alarm trigger, schedules for when the app will check for location, favorite locations, pulling addresses from your contact database and easy links to check location in the Google Map. Also of note, the application in my experience, and others has surprisingly little impact on battery life. (though there is some) Also of note, this application will work even if it is not open and running as a card on your phone.

The application is easy to use, has excessive amounts of documentation, help menu and online videos posted by the author. But I recommend a purchase and just start playing around with it.

...Downsides....
    It is currently limited to doing searches through google to determine locations. There is currently no option to enter a lat-long nor an option to touch a place on a map and turn it into an alarm location. For now you have to know an address, pull it from your contact list or search by business name to pick an alarm location.

...Competitors...
    GeoTasks, free, a worthy competitor.
    Space Alarm, free, very basic, but uses map to choose alarm locations.
    Lucy, $4.99, avoid this one, it does not seemed finished.

...Bottom Line...
    Buy it, you will love how much more useful your phone will become.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    dismiss it or press the 'boomerang' icon to geo-snooze it. In other words, it will dismiss the alarm until the next time you come back to the area.
    I'm loving the term "geo-snooze"! It fits the functionality perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    It is currently limited to doing searches through google to determine locations. There is currently no option to enter a lat-long nor an option to touch a place on a map and turn it into an alarm location. For now you have to know an address, pull it from your contact list or search by business name to pick an alarm location.
    I know you know this already, but it's worth mentioning that the other way you can add a location is by saving your current location. Also the easiest way to add a location to a GeoString reminder is to search your location history, favorites, and saved location groups. I've found in my personal use of the app that most of the places I set reminders for are already in my history, so I don't have to keep searching for them via a business name or address search. But I'm with you...I definitely want to add a map input option in the future.

Thanks a lot for the review!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    People still rent videos at a video store?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Perhaps a more relevant example would be to set a GeoString to remind you to stop in Blockbuster the next time you drive by so you can cancel your membership now that you're a Netflix member.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Geo-Strings is one of my all-time faves. I can't credit DanPLC enough!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I have it too and love it!

Dan, if you are listening:

I have my kids and wife txt me items for the shopping list. Is there an easier way to get a shopping list incorperated into the Saved Geostring? Right now I'm either copy/paste or typing it in manually.

Not sure if this is an option, but maybe tie it to another app that has check boxes for normal items and a place to add new items to be saved as favorite items.

Or better yet, have an online repository that the family could update and when a Geostring goes off, it is linked to the online shopping list.

This is one of the best ways I have ever spent $3.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    I have it too and love it!

Dan, if you are listening:

I have my kids and wife txt me items for the shopping list. Is there an easier way to get a shopping list incorperated into the Saved Geostring? Right now I'm either copy/paste or typing it in manually.

Not sure if this is an option, but maybe tie it to another app that has check boxes for normal items and a place to add new items to be saved as favorite items.

Or better yet, have an online repository that the family could update and when a Geostring goes off, it is linked to the online shopping list.

This is one of the best ways I have ever spent $3.

Rob
    I plan on adding some type of syncing option in the future. Basically it would allow family members to submit GeoStrings to each other. That doesn't quite solve your problem of having to enter in a shopping list manually (someone in your family would still have to do this); however it would prevent you from having to do this again when entering in your GeoString.

It would be nice to have an easier way to list items. But to link it to another shopping list app, it would require that app to be modified to have a "add to GeoString" button.

But maybe I can think of a way to implement a shopping list feature that saves items as people add them.

You mean isohunt isn't a video store?
    Thanks Dan! I love that you are engaged in your product support and growth.

Right now I'm guessing the only way for family members to submit geostrings would be if they had a Webos device with the app installed. I'm not sure I can or will be able to use that functionality. Right now my wife has a Pixi, but I doubt she will have it for long. We have a few droid devices at home, a couple of other win-mobile phones and 3-4 different Blackberrys along with some regular dumb-phones. I'm thinking that cross platform development might be an issue for you?

Anyway, I love the app and it serves it's purpose quite well.

How about another suggestion? Sometimes I need to get odd-ball stuff at the grocery store or Home Depot. I will take a picture of the item for when I need to grab an exact match. For instance: we have two different furnace filters I need to pick up from time to time. I can never remember the size or model number. I take a picture of it so I know what to get. Or one of my daughters will need a specific type of hair product/make-up or toiletry... (yeah doesn't my life sound great) any way to include a picture file in a Geostring?

Thanks,

Rob
    Oh, and I wish there was a real barcode scanner for our phones, could you imagine just scanning in the barcode of a product when you were using it and having it upload to your geostring shopping list?
    Right now I'm guessing the only way for family members to submit geostrings would be if they had a Webos device with the app installed. I'm not sure I can or will be able to use that functionality. Right now my wife has a Pixi, but I doubt she will have it for long. We have a few droid devices at home, a couple of other win-mobile phones and 3-4 different Blackberrys along with some regular dumb-phones. I'm thinking that cross platform development might be an issue for you?
    I think initially it would only have the ability to transfer GeoStrings from device-to-device (Palm only). But I may have the ability to add new GeoStrings from a web form of some sort.

Cross-platform will only be possible if I port GeoStrings to another platform. I'm not sure about that yet.

How about another suggestion? Sometimes I need to get odd-ball stuff at the grocery store or Home Depot. I will take a picture of the item for when I need to grab an exact match. For instance: we have two different furnace filters I need to pick up from time to time. I can never remember the size or model number. I take a picture of it so I know what to get. Or one of my daughters will need a specific type of hair product/make-up or toiletry... (yeah doesn't my life sound great) any way to include a picture file in a Geostring?
    That's a really good idea. I'll see if this is possible.

Another idea I've had is to have the ability to store audio recordings to a GeoString. Of course this will require Palm opening up the microphone API in the SDK.

Oh, and I wish there was a real barcode scanner for our phones, could you imagine just scanning in the barcode of a product when you were using it and having it upload to your geostring shopping list?
    Yeah I've been wishing for a barcode scanner too. But my main purpose would be to have an app that searches for reviews and prices online. Right now when I'm in a store looking at an item, I'll do a google search on it and find the information that way. It works, but it would be so much easier to have an app scan the barcode and pull up all the information. But from what I hear, the camera in the Palm phones don't have an auto-focus feature required for this type of app.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

That's a really good idea. I'll see if this is possible.

Another idea I've had is to have the ability to store audio recordings to a GeoString. Of course this will require Palm opening up the microphone API in the SDK.
    Glad you thought it was a good idea. I'll have to tell my wife that I had an idea today that someone thought was even remotely usefull.

The voice recording was something I had thought about too, but I figured the pictures would be quicker as there is actually a camera app that works on the phone and no vice recording as of yet.

I'm already setting up a geostring for my familes trip/cruise next month. There is another app that I plan on using while there to send post cards back to family and friends to let them know how warm and sunny it is where we are at. I'm going to set up a Geostring with people we want to send post cards to with Cardsender. the great thing is I can do it all straight from my phone.

If I think of other ideas or enhancements I will get a hold of you.

Rob
    Yeah I've been wishing for a barcode scanner too. But my main purpose would be to have an app that searches for reviews and prices online. Right now when I'm in a store looking at an item, I'll do a google search on it and find the information that way. It works, but it would be so much easier to have an app scan the barcode and pull up all the information. But from what I hear, the camera in the Palm phones don't have an auto-focus feature required for this type of app.

I normally have my son with me when at the store so I just have him shoot the item's barcode with his Droid phone and look up the information and prices we want. Yeah, I wish the camera was better too.

Rob
    I'm already setting up a geostring for my familes trip/cruise next month. There is another app that I plan on using while there to send post cards back to family and friends to let them know how warm and sunny it is where we are at. I'm going to set up a Geostring with people we want to send post cards to with Cardsender. the great thing is I can do it all straight from my phone.
    It is remarkable the things you can do today with your phone.

If I think of other ideas or enhancements I will get a hold of you.
    If you have any other ideas, you can email me using the "feedback" link found on the app's help screen.

I plan on adding some type of syncing option in the future. Basically it would allow family members to submit GeoStrings to each other.
    AWESOME!!!!!!

This program is a no-brainer... You have a pre.... You have to have this program! The program is wonderful and the support is amazing.

Thanks Dan!
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Perhaps a more relevant example would be to set a GeoString to remind you to stop in Blockbuster the next time you drive by so you can cancel your membership now that you're a Netflix member.
    Ha- Good response.
    BTW, i have a question. Is it within the realm of possibility that you could make an option to GeoStrings (or a whole 'nother app) that does this:
    Say for instance, I wanted to geotag all the good pizza stores that I know of in a 25 mile (or any area) radius.
    After I drive around to geotag all of these pizza stores via GPS, i would like to pull up a map within the app that would show ALL those tags and where they are, in ONE view.
    I know you have the smarts to make something like that. I'd just like to know if you will do it, if it would be an update to GeoStrings, or a totally different app altogether.
    Thanks for the work you do.
    -- Danny.

PS: I posted this in your other thread too-

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2189203#post2189203
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 01/29/2010 at 09:54 PM.
    Ha- Good response.
    BTW, i have a question. Is it within the realm of possibility that you could make an option to GeoStrings (or a whole 'nother app) that does this:
    Say for instance, I wanted to geotag all the good pizza stores that I know of in a 25 mile (or any area) radius.
    After I drive around to geotag all of these pizza stores via GPS, i would like to pull up a map within the app that would show ALL those tags and where they are, in ONE view.
    I know you have the smarts to make something like that. I'd just like to know if you will do it, if it would be an update to GeoStrings, or a totally different app altogether.
    Thanks for the work you do.
    -- Danny.

PS: I posted this in your other thread too-

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...03#post2189203
    I responded in my GeoStrings thread.

I responded in my GeoStrings thread.
    ok, got it.
    A free trial version of GeoStrings is now available in the app catalog. So go check it out and give GeoStrings a whirl!