1.    #1  
    The "popular" sorting button in the App catalog needs to add weight for number of downloads and or number of reviews.

The applications that come up on top as "Popular" are not popular.

There are 37 apps at the top of the list before you get to "dictionary" for example. Dictionary has like 171 reviews which is probably more reviews than all 37 apps above it have.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. What do you think the chances are that Palm addresses this?
  3.    #3  
    I know its on their to-do list... somewhere between "start working out" and "learn a new language"

(but its an easy fix palm! and you will sell more apps! right now it looks like all you have is CRAP and its somehow POPULAR)
    it's as useless as search. I search on 'office' thinking i'll find an office app of some sort. I get a ton of apps with zero relation. 'docs to go' includes the fart app in the top 25 results. Are there tags for apps that would trigger things in a search?

I wouldn't mind having a free checkbox to only include free apps. I don't mind paying for apps, but I wouldn't mind playing around with free versions and such and donating later or just seeing trials. Especially if it will thin out searches and not give me apps that don't have trials, demos or lite versions.
  5.    #5  
    Crogs, ya, I am with you on that point too. Its true, the search function needs help too.

I dunno, I guess that the app catalog just came out of "beta" and all but still... If they want to turn the app catalog into a success for everyone they are going to need to make it easier to find Apps that people actually want...

((side note... hate the app spam... an app for each artist for lyrics, an app for each sports team, an app for each different picture of "sexy" women wallpapers... uggg...))
  6.    #6  
    Crogs, ya, I am with you on that point too. Its true, the search function needs help too.

I dunno, I guess that the app catalog just came out of "beta" and all but still... If they want to turn the app catalog into a success for everyone they are going to need to make it easier to find Apps that people actually want...

((side note... hate the app spam... an app for each artist for lyrics, an app for each sports team, an app for each different picture of "sexy" women wallpapers... uggg...))
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    so, looking at the data that palm has available for the apps, there won't be an easy way to do any sort of trending for what's popular. this is because the date for when the app is published is updated each time the app is updated, with no mention of the original date of the apps publication.

I ran some quick tests, such as sorting by the total number of stars given, sorting by the total number of downloads, or by the number of stars given per day, and the latter strongly favors old apps that were recently updated.

just for the heck of it, here were my results (the data was current as of last night, and this is the US catalog only)

sorted by total number of downloads
    1. Pandora Radio
    2. Bubbles!
    3. WHERE
    4. Speed Brain
    5. Connect 4 Demo
    6. The Weather Channel
    7. Flixster
    8. GoodFood - Restaurants Near You
    9. AccuRadio
    10. Fandango

sorted by total number of stars (rating * number of reviews)
    1. Pandora Radio
    2. m:Mafia
    3. m:Vampire
    4. Connect 4 Demo
    5. WHERE
    6. RadioTime
    7. translator
    8. Need for Speed Undercover
    9. AccuRadio

sorted by stars awarded per day (rating * number of reviews / days since publication)
    1. The Weather Channel
    2. m:Mafia
    3. m:Vampire
    4. Need for Speed Undercover
    5. R-Tyc00n (precentral's censoring turns it into ty****)
    6. PocketMirror® for Microsoft Outlook
    7. PhotoDialer
    8. Where Is My Pre
    9. Blocked Traffic Free
    10. Connect 4 Demo

I think stars awarded per day, using the original date of publication would give the best mix of great old and rising new apps. but with the date of publication changing each time an app is updated, this list is not a very accurate measure of popularity.
    The "Top Rated" section on Project Appetite seems to sort similarly to the app catalog, but it gets rid of the stuff at the top of the list that may not have a lot of ratings/comments.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  9.    #9  
    Good Work PoMonkey
    Those results are very interesting.
    I would have assumed that there would be more "useful" apps (productivity, calculators etc) would be on the list and less entertainment stuff.

Makes me realize why Apple makes some of the decisions that they do. Looks like most people use their phones to goof around.
    the sort by price doesn't work. Has anyone else seen this?
    all of the sorts are rubbish, inc "new apps" it includes updated apps as if their new and doesnt sort them in date/time added order, ie: newest first, i have tons of my old apps appearing in "new" its terribad.
    Yes, I agree. I know it used to work last year. I would sort by price and all the free ones would be at the top.
    yeah would like to see editor choice and rating /price sorting