Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just put in today, IM+ is now available to download. $9.99 so a bit pricey, but all open IM chat can now be done on the Pre! Sweet.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    When it has Facebook chat I'll be on board till them pfft...
    sweeeeet can't wait to hear a review!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Any link to a product webpage would be great. For us Europeans that can't see this yet. I'm just curious how this thing looks.
    this program MUST have background notifications and dashboard dock, or in my opinion, it will fail
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    But when you go to the developers web page the only application available for the Pre is IM+ for Skype. Hmmmm
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    this program MUST have background notifications and dashboard dock, or in my opinion, it will fail
    Agreed, and no way am I paying ten dollars to find out whether this thing sucks or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Agreed, and no way am I paying ten dollars to find out whether this thing sucks or not.
    Especially considering that games like assasins creed are 7 bucks. An entire game plus 3 bucks in my pocket vs a chat system that never really worked 100% great on my iphone when I had it there.... donno.
    will give the testversion a spin, (homepage says 7 day test) but i still hope for a native client (go greg go), the palm has the libpurble library so it can use alle those im protocols, only skype won't work, because thats a crap proprietary protocol...

i want to have synergy with my IM buddys too. thats what webOS is all about.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    I would very much like to have those things as well, but for me it would not be essential. For me, support for Skype is essential and though their other IM+ products support Skype, it does not appear that their webOS version does.

I began trialing their webOS version a few days ago, it is only for Skype, nothing else, and it is all browser based, no app. It works is about all I can say.

I sent this in to their support at their web site and if I get a reply, I will report back:

Quote Originally Posted by jdod to Shape Services

Hello,

I started trialing your IM+ for Skype for webOS a few days ago and though it works, it is not an app but rather a web bookmark. And it did not support the other IM providers. Today I notice that IM+ for webOS is available in the webOS app catalog, very exciting! I see however that the webOS version does not currently support Skype and none of your versions support Facebook chat.

Questions:

1. Will your webOS version support Skype at some point?

2. Will your webOS version support Facebook chat at some point?

3. Here on your website, unlike in the webOS app catalog, you can trial your products for 14 days. Will the webOS version eventually be available on your web site for a 14 day trial?

Thank you for reading my questions. I look forward to your responses. Support for Skype is critical for me and an indication from you that you will support it in the webOS version soon would be welcome.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    This thing was like 99 cents in the App Store, they are crazy if they think I'm going to pay 1,000% more
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I've heard from a different thread that this app uses texts to notify when the app is closed. Seems like a workaround to me. I guess when Mojo messaging is implemented we will see a more robust implementation. Let's hope for the native client to improve.
    Bought this to toftt and see how it works as I didn't see many impressions, here are my impressions:

I'm using MSN, I probably wouldn't use any other IM clients except maybe Facebook, which this doesn't have. Does it work? Yes and no. The first time I signed in it was pretty quick but started loading all my offline contacts, I found the preferences and unchecked the option to show offline contacts and it removed all contacts and froze the application. I closed it and re-opened, logged back in and it showed my online contacts correctly.

Small hiccup, not that horrible until I tried scrolling through my contacts, it wouldn't scroll, nor would tapping any of the buttons work, so again, I swiped the app off and re-opened. On the second opening it re-connected to the server and my contacts appeared pretty quickly, now I can scroll, changed my status and that seemed to work, and things seem "ok" now, maybe it was the avatars being downloaded, or the status messages, I'm not sure. It doesn't work in the background however, so you have to keep the app open (If your using another application and IM+ it will give you a notification update when you get a message, so in that sense it does work in the background).

On the subject of notifications, It does send notifications in the notification area and vibrates the phone, doesn't send your phone text messages or anything stupid. The only issue I have with the notifications is that they don't stay in the notification area, they disappear after a few seconds, which means if you don't see it or hear your phone vibrate you wont see you have any new messages without looking at the app. Again, this is annoying, and I hope they fix it.

Right now, I give this app 1 star out of 5, but it does "work", as in it does show contacts and allow you to talk to them, however the crashing and freezing almost makes it impossible to do so effectively, along with the notification annoyances. The 10 dollar price tag was way to much and I would have given more stars had it been cheaper, they need to update this quickly and make it more stable and more feature filled (Like add Facebook).

I recommend it if you have money to burn, or you need an IM client really badly and you're not willing to wait for the IM plugins that Greg_Roll is working on, or another app.

Hope this helps guys.

EDIT: After using it for awhile it works for the most part, I haven't seen it crash or freeze since I first started it. It has potential, but I still wouldn't recommend it at it's price point. I also found out that it doesn't save past chat history, which is a big let down.
    Last edited by Tristanlogd; 01/26/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I guess it could be useful as a temporary fix but I would rather wait a bit and send my spare cash to Greg. To help him develop, in my opinion.. "the cadillac".
    For 10 bucks it had better have video skype chat and come with a clip on reverse mirror since the camera lens is on back of phone. Heck, if you are not online with skype they could just text you or for that matter call your cell. Even mobile to any mobile if FREE for us. And they want 10.00. Needs to be put on a golf tee and hit with a 1 wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    This thing was like 99 cents in the App Store, they are crazy if they think I'm going to pay 1,000% more
    it was never .99 cents. i actually bought and used this when i had my iphone. its the same price for webos as it is for the iphone. at one point it was on sale for $4.99 (thats when I bought it). there is also a free lite version for the iphone.

it worked great on my iphone so i bought this version too.

so far it keeps disconnecting me from the main server which disconnects me from everything else. im not to happy about that. but for the time it stayed connected it was fast and responsive. you can activate or deactivate different accounts which is a feature i like very much.

ok. now here is the designer talking in me. there are some visual things that are getting to me. when in a conversation the text justifies all the way to the edge of the screen. im not sure if this is a bug or if they just didnt bother formatting this. and the text is overall bigger in this app then it is in every other app. this is not a big deal but it is important to maintain a simular look and feel amongst all apps and it just makes it feel like its not part of the phones OS.

now people need to keep in mind that this is their first webos app so they are learning just like all of you and they offer free updates. it will more then likely get better over time just like the iphone version has.
    btw. it did crash my phone once so far while trying to connect.
    The reviews on the app catalog are pretty bad.
    +1 on supporting Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by eztech View Post
    When it has Facebook chat I'll be on board till them pfft...
    lite.facebook.com has chat. Easier to do than full site chat on Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast