Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm new here and hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a Palm pre from Sprint that I have had for a few months now (and LOVE). I have software version 1.3.5.1 and have had absolutely no problems with the Preware app, until yesterday out of the blue I tapped my Preware icon and as always got the circling indicator (downloading feeds) and then it just stuck there. I tried closing it and got a "Memory critical" error "too many cards". Now everything works perfect on the phone except Preware (still locks everything up) and I have to do a hard reset. I have uninstalled Preware, reinstalled and still the same. Anyone have any ideas, thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwatton View Post
    I'm new here and hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a Palm pre from Sprint that I have had for a few months now (and LOVE). I have software version 1.3.5.1 and have had absolutely no problems with the Preware app, until yesterday out of the blue I tapped my Preware icon and as always got the circling indicator (downloading feeds) and then it just stuck there. I tried closing it and got a "Memory critical" error "too many cards". Now everything works perfect on the phone except Preware (still locks everything up) and I have to do a hard reset. I have uninstalled Preware, reinstalled and still the same. Anyone have any ideas, thanks in advance.
    Try disabling feeds one at a time. Try PreThemer first.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Rod, but my pre is at the point where when I do a battery pull reset and it boots up it instantly comes up with "Critical memory, too many cards" and freezes and I can't do anything, I'm taking it to my local sprint repair center and I hope I don't end up regretting getting a palm over a Iphone....

Thanks again,
    -Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwatton View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rod, but my pre is at the point where when I do a battery pull reset and it boots up it instantly comes up with "Critical memory, too many cards" and freezes and I can't do anything, I'm taking it to my local sprint repair center and I hope I don't end up regretting getting a palm over a Iphone....

Thanks again,
    -Scott
    It's highly unlikely that Preware or the Package Manager Service could cause that. Before you start the Preware application, both do nothing at all.

Do a recovery mode webOS Doctor and full erase on the device before taking it to Sprint. Those actions may well save you the trip.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks again for the reply Rod, Had to go to Sprint as even the webOS Doctor was not accessible (I'm talking this thing was FROZE). I really tried everything. So actually me son works for Sprint and he spent an hour on the phone with tech support, they could not figure out how it happened, but with some patience and some key strokes at boot up they were able to get me back up and running with very little loss of data. So far it's running great and later today I will reinstall Package manager and Preware and post an update to let you know if everything is still working. This was a strange one and almost shook my faith in Palm. Will post later and thank for your replies....

Best regards,
    -Scott
  6.    #6  
    Installed Package Manager / Preware, rebooted and when Preware is launched I get (Failure during "GetCongfigs" Operation), but thank god no lock up's. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    -Scott
  7.    #7  
    Anyone know how to fix "GetCongfigs" while trying to connect. Thanks in advance.
  8.    #8  
    For anyone that might have the same problem as mentioned above here is what the problem was. With Quick install 2.9 you could update with the phone in USB mode, with 2.96 it does not work in USB mode it has to be in Charge only. Found this out last night after reading through the forums for the hundredth time and everyone was saying installing with 2.96 worked, so I went through every menu on 2.96 and found the little tidbit of information on the help menu under usage. Now I'm up and running and back to normal. Thanks for the replies Rod.

Best regards,
    -Scott
    I'm not sure what happened but I had the same thing happened to me. I went to preware and it just hung. I had to pull the batt. but when it rebooted everything seemed to work ok until I tried to access preware.

I tried to reinstall it but I get the critical memory while trying to install it. I'm getting ready to Doctor it. Its just really odd, I haven't had any issues with preware.
    ...and I'm getting the memory critical message while it's trying to sync my gmail and applications. Going to have to make a trip to the Sprint store tomorrow. I'm just not sure what happened and I'm too tired to keep playing with it...l
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I know this really isnt related but I just figured that since its related to Preware I would give it a shot.

Anyway, I tried to download some apps but it says that they're not web os capable (or something like that)
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpantoja View Post
    I know this really isnt related but I just figured that since its related to Preware I would give it a shot.

Anyway, I tried to download some apps but it says that they're not web os capable (or something like that)
    There seem to be some "rapid release" apps in the Palm web catalog that are giving this message, leading some to speculate that they are flash apps waiting for the Flash release.

On a sidenote, my pre locked up yesterday and required several battery pulls before it would make it past the palm icon. I don't really suspect Preware but could something at Sprint have caused this for us?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steraser View Post
    On a sidenote, my pre locked up yesterday and required several battery pulls before it would make it past the palm icon. I don't really suspect Preware but could something at Sprint have caused this for us?
    I had that happen to me too.
    Hi,

I'm having similar problems: since a few days ago, Preware stays forever on the first screen; after a while i get "too many cards open" message and the pre becomes unresponsive. I try to close the app but it's not possible. Then after a few minutes, the pre seems to go into reboot (black screen with white palm logo), but remains stuck there, so i have to remove the battery to get it to boot normally.

What happened? Everything was working smoothly until this happened.... I think the beginning of the problems coincidates with the moment I updated all my patches to the "new technology". Could this be related?
    Quote Originally Posted by olivier101 View Post
    Hi,

I'm having similar problems: since a few days ago, Preware stays forever on the first screen; after a while i get "too many cards open" message and the pre becomes unresponsive. I try to close the app but it's not possible. Then after a few minutes, the pre seems to go into reboot (black screen with white palm logo), but remains stuck there, so i have to remove the battery to get it to boot normally.

What happened? Everything was working smoothly until this happened.... I think the beginning of the problems coincidates with the moment I updated all my patches to the "new technology". Could this be related?
    This seems to be caused by one of the feeds that are not hosted on preware.org going haywire and creating a huge download list. Try looking in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists and see if there are any unusually large files there. If so, delete them (they are recreated when Preware updates feeds).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by steraser View Post
    I highly doubt it. Such behaviour would just cause more support calls for Sprint, so it would not be a something they would do, even if they could do such a thing (which they can't).

And the Package Manager Service doesn't even start to get involved until well after the user interface for you Pre comes up, so there is no way it or Preware could cause your Pre not to boot.

It's more likely to be something like a CPU speed patch, or MyTether, or some other dangerous thing like that causing your Pre to hang. Do a full erase and doctor to clear the device, and then don't install stuff outside of Preware for best results.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This seems to be caused by one of the feeds that are not hosted on preware.org going haywire and creating a huge download list. Try looking in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/lists and see if there are any unusually large files there. If so, delete them (they are recreated when Preware updates feeds).

-- Rod
    Right on spot! There was a 2+ GB file named prethemer, I removed it and everything seems to be back to normal.

Thanks a lot, I was already set to doctor my Pre...
    I had a similar problem with my Pre, but it was when I tried to use Classic, not Preware. The problem turned ot to be that I was out of memory space on the device, and when it tried to interact with something large (Classic is large, and Preware has the potential to be large) it blew up. I had other weird problems like the phone only working on "speaker".

When I removed my music (freeing up oodles of room) everything resolved. I lost a lot of stuff in the process, though, because I took it to the Sprint store and let them do a full reset. They restored everything that they back up except the music, but I lost all my settings, my web bookmarks, stuff like that.

-- Rod
    How do I do that?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

-- Rod
    Would you be able to help me accomplish this? If I use WebOS Quick Install to access that directory it tells me permission denied. Do you know how I am supposed to do this? I am having the same problem as the other poster.

Thank you,
    Tim
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast