Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Having trouble with a station today that has worked fine the two days before. When I try KTAR (phoenix), the audio comes out too fast-sounds like the chipmunks. This appears to be a known problem with the Pre and the way the codecs work (or lack thereof)....I just find it strange this station worked yesterday fine and now today the problem has been going on all day. I guess there is a chance they changed the format of their stream, but I'd think that is unlikely.

One thing I did today that was different then the last two days was to do a soft reset...before going into radiotime, I was getting some "too many cards" errors. Maybe something happened when I did this. The other radiotime stations I try come out sounding fine.

Anyone have trouble like this before?
    It happened to me also, sounded like the chipmunks talking. It was only on one channel in the talk section but I can't remember the exact one.

so atleast you are not alone

today only
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnallyj View Post
    Having trouble with a station today that has worked fine the two days before. When I try KTAR (phoenix), the audio comes out too fast-sounds like the chipmunks. This appears to be a known problem with the Pre and the way the codecs work (or lack thereof)....I just find it strange this station worked yesterday fine and now today the problem has been going on all day. I guess there is a chance they changed the format of their stream, but I'd think that is unlikely.

One thing I did today that was different then the last two days was to do a soft reset...before going into radiotime, I was getting some "too many cards" errors. Maybe something happened when I did this. The other radiotime stations I try come out sounding fine.

Anyone have trouble like this before?
    It's the AAC+ audio codec in 1.3.5. It has nothing to do with RadioTime at all. It's all WebOS. If you opened up the stream in the browser (leading to the streaming audio app), it would play exactly the same seeing as RadioTime uses the same audio implementation that all Palm audio apps use.

Doc
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    It's the AAC+ audio codec in 1.3.5. It has nothing to do with RadioTime at all. It's all WebOS. If you opened up the stream in the browser (leading to the streaming audio app), it would play exactly the same seeing as RadioTime uses the same audio implementation that all Palm audio apps use.

Doc
    Thanks-I think I read this somewhere before too. Just strange it worked for me for a couple of days this week...and then stopped after I restarted the phone yesterday. Hopefully, Palm updates the codec with a upcoming update.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    update on this. I have a radio station that is still a problem after the big update to 1.4. Guess Palm didn't listen to the error report Radio Time filed with them. Sure hope something can be fixed as this appears to be the only way to listen to a local radio station, correct?
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Well that's easy; your internet connection is too fast! Try 1.5 Mb/s DSL or even ISDN. It should stream the data slower.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Bug report has been filed yet again. You can check for updates on the issue at:

STILL BROKEN: AAC+ Audio codec still broken in WebOS 1.4

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Was working when I first installed it, 3 days later not working. Oh well, it was a nice app for 3 days...will be uninstalling it now until the problem is fixed!
    The strange part is this only occurs with select stations, its not an app-wide issue from what I've seen.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    From the above post, it will only affect radio stations that do their internet broadcast with a certain type of audio codec. This codec is not being handled correctly by WebOS which is what causes the timing issue, if I understand it correctly.

C'mon Palm!

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    I'm noticing it on ESPN Radio stations, I hope it's an easy fix.
    Doc does a great job keeping an eye on these issues.
    Yes, that is where I noticed it! ESPN 850AM (Cleveland, OH) was working when I first installed RadioTime, then yesterday it went chipmunky along with ESPN in LA!
    Had the same problem with espn 1000 (wmvp). Did a soft restart for the first time and i am geussing that started my "chipmunks" playback problems. I then purchased the uberradio app wich allowed me to enter the "http://208.80.52.146:80/WMVPAMCMP3" WMVP mp3 stream. Worked like a charm !!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem with ESPN radio stations since upgrading to RadioTime 1.1. Everything was working fine before then.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    We have multiple streams for each station. Recently, there was a server upgrade that switched the first playlist stream back to AAC+ instead of the mp3 streams. It should be fixed by next week. Big server upgrade will allow things to work more smoothly and for the ability to add some other features to the application in the future that nobody else offers.

In addition, there's an update coming out next week which adds the ability to add custom streams and also the ability to switch between the multiple stream sources for each station so if one stream goes down or is subjected to the WebOS AAC+ mono codec bug, you can switch over to the other stream. So, you'll have multiple avenues of backup.

We just need to get through this major upgrade and then everything should be smooth sailing.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashdude1971 View Post
    Was working when I first installed it, 3 days later not working. Oh well, it was a nice app for 3 days...will be uninstalling it now until the problem is fixed!
    I'm sorry, but, there's nothing we can do about a bug that is actually in the operating system itself. The only thing we can do is try workarounds to send down the mp3 streams. We could just set everything to mp3 but then you'd lose a bunch of stations that aren't AAC+ mono HHE encoded, the only type of stream that is actual subject to the bug. It just so happens that one major stream provider, Stream the World, has some sort of love affair with using this audio encoding.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    FYI,

This problem should be resolved now. It should now default to mp3 and only use AAC if the mp3 stream is down or unavailable.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    FYI,

This problem should be resolved now. It should now default to mp3 and only use AAC if the mp3 stream is down or unavailable.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    GREAT!!

RadioTime is my most used / most recommended app. I'm glad to see you so responsive on here.

Thank you
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Doc,

I have found the one radio station I really want to get is still chipmunk style. 102.9 The Hog is the station name. Is the app updated with the fix you installed? Or will that be coming in short order and you just wanted to get the word out?

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    Doc,

I have found the one radio station I really want to get is still chipmunk style. 102.9 The Hog is the station name. Is the app updated with the fix you installed? Or will that be coming in short order and you just wanted to get the word out?
    They don't have an mp3 stream for that station. The update was server side...just sorting of the playlist to "prefer mp3" rather than "prefer AAC". Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait for Palm to get off their ***** and release a version of WebOS with the fixed AAC audio codec.

The bug/complaint thread on the developer forum is here:
    Palm Developer Forum:
    STILL BROKEN: AAC+ Audio codec still broken in WebOS 1.4

The more people that complain, the faster they might get around to fixing this. It's been an ongoing issue since WebOS 1.2. The fix should have been included in WebOS 1.4.5. To me, it's absolutely unacceptable for something like this to go on for so long considering that the world's largest streaming service providers prefer to use the AAC+ mono audio codec (Stream The World and Liquid Compass).

Doc

RadioTime Developer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast