Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'm a developer and wondering what kind of demand there is for an RTA on the Pre. (In case you're wondering, RTAs analyze sound and display a sound spectrum of all the frequencies present.) This can be really useful for flattening or tweaking the frequency response of a room, or identifying frequencies within a mix, among other things. I know that iPhone has an RTA app, and (as it turns out) electret microphones have a remarkably flat response, making them very useful for this sort of application. I'd like to hear from anyone that might like to see an RTA or similar app on Pre, and any comments, suggestions, or other ideas you have. Thanks!
    would also be good for tuning car audio. Don't know how accurate it would be though
    sounds very cool.. how well would it work on the pre though? does it work well on the iphone?
    DO IT! I used to work in the music industry and still mix at home. Plus I am about to put two 15s in my truck. I would love to have it. Sign me up as a beta tester even!!!!
    I am a plumber and could use it to find leaks or sounds I can't hear. I have a severe High Frequency Loss starting around 1500 hz. Many alarms and indicator beeps are unheard by me. This program would let me visually see these high requency events happen.

A program I would pay for!

Extraclass
    You will need the addition of a microphone API or maybe the PDK. Sounds like a very interesting idea though.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes it will make use of the PDK. The quality of the reading will be tested by me; I may even create a response-correction curve, but given the flat response of electret microphones I don't know that that will be necessary. From what I know it does work well on the iPhone.

Apps like this go for around $50 depending on all the features they have (maybe more.) I may create a simpler version without extra features or options for less, but I'm not decided on that yet. What are your thoughts?

Other related things would be an SPL (sound pressure level) meter, and a signal generator for the complete system tuning package.

Thanks for your responses, I've read them all and I'm looking forward to hearing more!
    For $50 it would need to be very good, and you would miss out on the car audio tweaker market. I think that I would be aiming at making my money from volume.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Your responses are proving very helpful. I'll make sure to contact those of you that are interested in beta testing once that becomes available. Thanks everyone.

It was irresponsible for me to state that price without doing more research. It looks like a similar app would go for around $30 or less depending on features. (There is an iPhone app that includes "everything" for $80, but that's really for true audio professionals and that's not where I intend to start.) It sounds like the car audio application has a lot of promise.. in fact I think I'd like to use this app in my car . Now it becomes a matter of hitting the right price points for the right applications.. I don't know if most people that want to make their car sound good would be willing to dish out $30 for an app that may only be used for one thing, but I have a feeling that many wouldn't.

So the question is: how many people are willing to pay any amount to tweak their car audio so it sounds better (and have a level of skill high enough to make use of such an app, with instructions,) and how much are most of them willing to spend? I'm thinking it would be good to have a simpler, cheaper version directed at the car audio market and those with a simple application (like extraclass), coupled with a slightly more expensive version with numerous features for people that would use it more regularly for things like mixing (people like myself and misterwilson.)
    Last edited by tmandry; 01/23/2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Assuming that you could produce an effective solution, I actually think that the mass market would be in the home hi-fi/theatre and small band area. I suspect that of a lot of car owners simply regard maximum bass as the aim.

As to skill level, many would not even be aware of the use of such a tool, so your title and introductory information would probably need to provide a hint of to how it is used.
    sign me up! I have a term-pro, but it would be nice for a toy to play with at the shows lol sign me up definitely!

on a side note I would like a sensativity adjustment, so when breaking 150db adjustments get quite dificult for mics to handle. I just hope the speaker can handle the spl, when my 1st pre (I think) blew the speaker I'm pretty sure that it was due to the system as an oops moment.
    roommate holds #1 in north america for streetmax and got me with the old is there a crack in the wall???? Bbbbbvvvvvvvvv!!!! 160! Damn that hurt! And the phone crackled from that point on.
    Palm prē-ist.
    *or a got ya moment lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    As long as it is accurate, it would be great. Some features I would like to see:
    RTA
    Frequency Anlyzer
    Noise Level SPL: Average. Average MAX, Peak
    BPM counter using TAP
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I work for a production company and am constantly using Smaart at work for tuning PAs. I often become quite jealous of the road engineers with their iPhone RTA programs. This would be an awesome addition to the WebOS software library!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Oh, and sign me up for the beta test!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Assuming that you could produce an effective solution, I actually think that the mass market would be in the home hi-fi/theatre and small band area. I suspect that of a lot of car owners simply regard maximum bass as the aim.

As to skill level, many would not even be aware of the use of such a tool, so your title and introductory information would probably need to provide a hint of to how it is used.
    That's a good point. I wish there were a way to do more research into potential markets.. hm. Yes, I will definitely work on the marketing for users that have no prior knowledge. Thanks for your insight.
    the only reason i am part of this is because i have been looking for an rta. my girlfriend has an android and it annoys me they have a free one available but my pre still doesn't even have one i can buy.

i do pro audio and also use smaart, and have been considering buying a paa3 just to have a portable rta.

extra features would include:

noise generator, adjustable peak hold, SPL meter with proper weighting and ability to calibrate, etc..
    I'm a professional sound man and have been using a very nice RTA for years on my Palm Treo. It's called HandeeSA (SA for Spectrum Analyzer) by Phonature. I use it primarily for identifying feedback frequencies when ringing out stage monitors. It works perfectly for that because it shows the exact frequency number (e.g. 12.5 kHZ) of the loudest frequency.

I recently purchased a Palm Pre and am disappointed that:
    1. HandeeSA will not run in Motion Apps Classic Palm OS emulator.
    2. There don't appear to be an RTAs available for WedOS.

In the pro audio world I know there is a need and a market (if somewhat niche) for a good RTA for WebOS. If you can make an RTA as nice and handy as Phonature's HandeeSA I would gladly pay for it and you would make me a very happy camper!
    I have a question regarding the sampling rate of the pre. what the highest frequency the pre can sample via the mic? they have a sound card based oscope but its limited by the pc's sound card sampling rate. was wondering if i could use the pre to make a better portable version but it would not be worth the time if it wont have higher capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I have a question regarding the sampling rate of the pre. what the highest frequency the pre can sample via the mic? they have a sound card based oscope but its limited by the pc's sound card sampling rate. was wondering if i could use the pre to make a better portable version but it would not be worth the time if it wont have higher capability.
    Develpers have not got access to the mic at the moment. 1.4 maybe?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast