Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sorry - double posted.. figuring out this messaging system
    Last edited by lemonfresh; 02/27/2010 at 03:55 PM.
    I would love to see a good RTA app for the Pre. A combination of signal sweep and measurement would be ideal both for rooms & vehicles. Multiple signal generators are always useful: pink, white, pulse, manually sweepable sine. You will likely snag a number of speaker enclosure designers with this app as well.

Someone else mentioned a tappable beat counter which I would also find useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I have a question regarding the sampling rate of the pre. what the highest frequency the pre can sample via the mic? they have a sound card based oscope but its limited by the pc's sound card sampling rate. was wondering if i could use the pre to make a better portable version but it would not be worth the time if it wont have higher capability.
    There is no API available for developers for the microphone in 1.4 (or lower). It's unfortunate as that also limits some apps that many would love made.

There is a possability the PDK will support the mic, though. However Palm seems to stress the SDK is for games, so I'm not sure what their end-policy on regular apps will be.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm developing this app using WIDK and ALSA in anticipation of the PDK. Hopefully audio access will be supported once the PDK is released; if not, we will try to get it included

Thanks for your input, everyone!
    Hey,

just signed up to say really looking forward to this or any other realtime spectrum analyser... i dont wanna have to buy something else (espec not the iphon)
    how are you getting on with it?
    will it compare with faberacoustics?

or does anyone know a way to emulate iphone so i could run this easy?
    (i will search also...)

Good Luck!
    I think this is a great idea.

I would suggest some additional functionality to make the RTA more useful to users, though.

For example, the ability to save readings to profiles wirelessly is certainly outside the scope of the RTA, but would add tremendous value to the app, even if it's just sending flat files to an email or DropBox, etc.

The ability to capture data is primary, the ability to manipulate the data you've captured would complete the usefulness of the app, so I can leave the laptop at home and grab quick readings on the phone.

I can't believe we're even discussing an RTA for $50, let alone on something as useful as a phone, considering the cost of such a device just a few short years ago. It's really amazing when you stop to consider it.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    it would be the first app I buy. Anxious to see it.
    I would say that your weekend-audio/car-audio warrior would probably pay $5 for an non-pro level app.

For the roadies, installers, etc. out there, maybe a $30+ pricepoint.

If you develop the app with this in mind, you could use a "Key" or something like that to unlock the Pro functionality, maybe???

Using this model, you could maybe generate some decent revenue from the great washed masses, and afford to spend the time generating a top-class pro-tool (sic) to go more up-market...

Just my $.02!

russ
    How is the developing going?. Any progress?. It's a interesting app.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, and thanks for all your input! I didn't want to bump this thread again, but since it's been done and you all are asking, I'll give you an update

Development is happening on the app with the PDK now out. Unfortunately it will probably be a few months before it sees the light of day on the app catalog, since Palm has announced that they will be adding audio access to the PDK but have not released it yet. I do have a way to access the mic without their interface, but the app wouldn't be accepted that way.

The app is looking good and is at an alpha state, and is beginning testing (I will be contacting some of you that said you were interested in testing soon.) So yes, it is happening, and should be available to everyone before too too long (hopefully.) Again, I appreciate the helpful comments. I am looking at a way to provide professional features as well as a non-pro type app. The professional one is first-priority right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmandry View Post
    Hi everyone, and thanks for all your input! I didn't want to bump this thread again, but since it's been done and you all are asking, I'll give you an update

Development is happening on the app with the PDK now out. Unfortunately it will probably be a few months before it sees the light of day on the app catalog, since Palm has announced that they will be adding audio access to the PDK but have not released it yet. I do have a way to access the mic without their interface, but the app wouldn't be accepted that way.

The app is looking good and is at an alpha state, and is beginning testing (I will be contacting some of you that said you were interested in testing soon.) So yes, it is happening, and should be available to everyone before too too long (hopefully.) Again, I appreciate the helpful comments. I am looking at a way to provide professional features as well as a non-pro type app. The professional one is first-priority right now.
    Any chance of some screen-dump images?
    I'd be interested in the app. I'm the technical director for an organization that produces concerts at different venues. Typically we have smaart setup, and I could check the app out against it. I'm actually a lighting guy but I could have my FOH engineer look at it and give some feed back, if you need some comparisons.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Screenshots will be forthcoming soon
    housetube, you should have gotten a PM from me. I'd really like to check against smaart sometime soonish.
    tmandry please email me, I could reeeeally use this... a month ago. I'd use it daily

I believe if the freq counter is fairly accurate say within 1cps I could see paying $10 for that alone should it be accurate within the audible spectrum.

SPL meter would be ok, but I'm thinking it's less important for my uses as it's really subjective, pressure measurements with a phone just I'm not jumping on board quite yet.

The ability to collect and send data is amazing, as well as overlaying data, spectrum analysis of say 10seconds, then make adjustments, overlay new spectrum analysis and deduce to see differences.

Unless it's absolutely accurate with results easy to reproduce I don't see paying a fortune.

Thanks for taking this task on!!!
    I'm excited to hear about this upcoming app. If the sampling rate/accuracy are really good enough to pinpoint exact frequencies, then it could really speed up the "ringing out" process of a sound system. I'd be suprised if the mic cleanly handles enough SPL for close-up speaker measurement, though.
    Glad to hear development is progressing. Would definitely be interested in testing! Please let me know!
    Seeing how there is no competition with app, I would understand there would be a decent download count to go with it although who knows what someone else is developing right now with 1.4.5 around the corner for any developer to release PDK apps.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Please make this a reality! Handee Spectrum Analyzer on Palm OS is a solid program. Thanks for all your work, keep it up!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    With WebOS 1.4.5 on all carriers with WebOS devices, I was wondering if we there were any new developments? Just moderately anxious to see it.
    I would buy it in a minute!!! Have seen the competitive version.. would make my life better!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast