Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Does Palm have any plan in place to ban certain developers from abusing the app catalog? I notice one dev in particular - Dijit - seems to put up 3-4 apps a week, all consisting of images one can find on Google, or other similar garbage apps. I haven't bought one of their apps myself, but if you look at some of the reviews they get, they're pretty damn bad.

I know, I know..."If you don't like it, don't buy it", but developers like this give the Palm app catalog a bad name and I personally think Palm should do something about developers who use the catalog to take advantage of people like that.
    I agree with you. "Developers" like Dijit and Brighthouse Labs are filling the app catalog with a bunch of garbage. Chuq from Palm responded to this issue in the Palm Developer forums and basically said they don't plan on banning this type of behavior.

I can't imagine Dijit owns the copyright to all the images it's packaging up in its apps. So that seems like a clear violation of the developer user agreement. However if Palm removes these apps, their app count is going to lower dramatically (lower than 1000) which is definitely not desirable for them. So in the end, if their app count keeps increasing, we'll be stuck with these types of apps.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    but developers like this give the Palm app catalog a bad name
    Unfortunately that's not true. Its all about numbers these days.

For example the Apple App Store is what all others are measured by and its full of crap 10 times worse than the lamest app available for WebOS.

And your right, if you dont like, dont buy it. Censorship is a slippery slope.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I can't imagine Dijit owns the copyright to all the images it's packaging up in its apps.
    That's another thing I didn't think of. If they don't, I really hope they get theirs.

Why can't everyone develop quality stuff like you??!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    there is a patch floating around that lets you gray out specific developers in the app catalog. it's a good way to reduce the nuisance caused by stupid apps. i say utility or gtfo. we don't need the kind of redundancy and quantity-over-quality that plagues the iphone's app store.

UPDATE: a link to the patch - "Hide App Vendors"
    Last edited by arcane; 01/19/2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added link to the patch i'm talking about
    That's another thing I didn't think of. If they don't, I really hope they get theirs.
    The fact that Palm approved all these "apps" says that they don't care about the copyright laws when it helps boost their app count numbers. I think the only way to get rid of these apps is to find the copyright owners of these images and let them know that Dijit (and Palm) are making money off of their property without their permission.

Why can't everyone develop quality stuff like you??!
    Thanks... there are still quite a few quality apps in the catalog. You just have to weed through some garbage to get to them.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    there is a patch floating around that lets you gray out specific developers in the app catalog. it's a good way to reduce the nuisance caused by stupid apps. i say utility or gtfo. we don't need the kind of redundancy and quantity-over-quality that plagues the iphone's app store.

UPDATE: a link to the patch - "Hide App Vendors"
    I'm going right for that one, thanks.

There ARE a lot of quality apps and I've paid for some. Thank God for reviews, I guess