1.    #1  
    Hello, all.

I was wondering if someone could make an app that you could use as a controller for a satellite box?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando323 View Post
    Hello, all.

I was wondering if someone could make an app that you could use as a controller for a satellite box?
    Most TV remote control emulators for smart phones use an infrared (IR) transmitter or SD card accessory to send a signal to the satellite box. The palm pre has neither a IR transmitter or a SD card slot it would be impossible.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 01/18/2010 at 07:31 AM.
    It's not impossible you just couldn't do it as easily as something that does have an IR transmitter.

You could rig some device which simply sends the IR signal for the phone, either connected through bluetooth or wifi, both of which I think would be too difficult.

An easier method would be to create a setup which allows the pre or any device to send a signal to a server of some kind which translates them and creates IR or digital signals though a device or directly to the satellite box. This option would be more extensible for multiple devices and for multiple TVs.

As far as what you're probably willing to do however, no.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's not impossible you just couldn't do it as easily as something that does have an IR transmitter.

You could rig some device which simply sends the IR signal for the phone, either connected through bluetooth or wifi, both of which I think would be too difficult.

An easier method would be to create a setup which allows the pre or any device to send a signal to a server of some kind which translates them and creates IR or digital signals though a device or directly to the satellite box. This option would be more extensible for multiple devices and for multiple TVs.

As far as what you're probably willing to do however, no.
    One more idea - once we can get a SlingPlayer on the Pre (assuming once we get flash - at the very least via sling.com?), anyone with a Slingbox will have this functionality
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    why cant you just use the remote?
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    why cant you just use the remote?
    It actually broke. And I'm not going to fork Dish network any more money for a new one, hahah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mando323 View Post
    It actually broke. And I'm not going to fork Dish network any more money for a new one, hahah.
    you might find a used one on ebay?
    or maye switch to verizon fios if it's available in your area? i see they have a promo for $84.99/mo for a year for their triple play...
    Verizon.com
    Hi,

Here is something that has been posted about over on Crackberry:

Unify4Life Smartphone Intelligence

The box uses a bluetooth interface then emits IR signals. The interface is only out for BB phones, but maybe someone could coax then to do a webos version.

I really wanted another one of thier products called the Garage shadow. It was suppose to be out over a year ago but has since been pulled from the site. I think they left the videos of it up so you can see it in action.

Rob