Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i just found your nice app "news feed" in the app-catalog as a free app.
    will it stay free or be a paid version in next weeks?
    without knowing the answer i would not invest too much time in coppying all my feeds from several sources into a mail to myself, so i can copy and paste the urls in this app.
    Hi - yes, Palm approved that one quickly.
    Perhaps because they did mostly write it themselves!

My plan at the moment is to keep it free and just incorporate any major changes that Palm include in the open source.

If there is lots of demand for more features, then I might decide to do more work on the app and start charging.

It's the first time I had to pay to publish a free app (palm charges $50 per app) - but I'm hoping that it will act as a bit of an advertisment for my other apps.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i would like to have it free in future
    but i would also pay, if your app can compare to others that i tested, but cannot buy, as i live in germany and there's still no app-catalog with paid apps.
    i used "feeds" in 2009 (trial ended) to read my google-reader-account-feeds, so i could sort and delete and add feeds on desktop - and have categories, which i miss most in your nice app.
    yes, as german ex feeds user i miss the google connection...

btw. after the first app start i had a tray icon which never poped up again. the prefs for this are on. any ideas? thx.
    Last edited by bluescreen; 01/14/2010 at 08:46 AM.
    bluescreen - I posted a response in the Hobbyist Feed in the app. Hopefully you still have that!

It looks like the slate feed address has changed, and the feed app fails to deal with the problem, and just gives up on updating feeds.

You can fix this by deleting or updating the slate feed address.
    I have uploaded a new version which deals with the bad feed issue and just carries on. Hopefully palm will approve it soon.
    Hobbyist Software
    hi, great app! I'm probably going to only use it for precentral tho but I've installed a couple times, but the "wake device' option in preferences won't stay on. It's supposed to right, because it is what actually sends the phone a notification wen the app isn't open? Or does it not because the app is free? Would live it if this were fixed!

thanks!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Hey, I got this today, and it's great. I've been looking for something to get my engadget/lifehacker fix, but their (aussie) mobile sites suck.

One thing... 'update all feeds' is ALWAYS greyed out. is there a reason for this? The feeds also don't seem to update, it's been hours and it's set to 15 mins.

thanks
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for this app.

I was a happy free Feeds user until the beta period ended.

Like you, a fellow GSM users, I could not buy the Paid For version, so was stuck without a rss app until we got full access to the App Catalog in March, hopefully.

I did ask the Feeds people if they would extend the beta for gsm users until March, but they ignored my request, twice

So 'cheers' to you for giving me back a rss app. It does all I need

Chas.

PS Bought loads of your apps in my PalmOS days, looking forward to the opportunity in the future.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    is it more prudent to email issues? I won't do it unless you say to (I don't want to be a spammer)
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    bluescreen - I posted a response in the Hobbyist Feed in the app. Hopefully you still have that!

It looks like the slate feed address has changed, and the feed app fails to deal with the problem, and just gives up on updating feeds.

You can fix this by deleting or updating the slate feed address.
    I have uploaded a new version which deals with the bad feed issue and just carries on. Hopefully palm will approve it soon.
    i only have 4-5 palm feeds and the problem is not fixed for me...
    shhhhhheeeeet you know what would be sweet?! If, wile you are looking at an article, all the rest from that feed could be loading? Then you can flip right to another article either way with a swipe across the screen, much like flipping through days in the calender app, and pictures in that app

btw, I can't scroll through an article with a large picture without the picture reading my scroll gesture as a tap and opening the link in a new card... But Thanks for all your work!
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 01/15/2010 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post

One thing... 'update all feeds' is ALWAYS greyed out. is there a reason for this? The feeds also don't seem to update, it's been hours and it's set to 15 mins.

thanks
    I had that at one stage, but a Reset cured the problem?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    It costs some bucks, but check out Newsroom. Fantastic! Best app on the Pre IMHO
    Mark F Chinsky
    if you are getting the 'update feeds greyed out' then try this
    1) delete the feed where the app is getting stuck (slate in the original version)
    2) close and re-open

that should get the notifications going too
    I'm actually not sure what wake-device does at the moment. I'll have a look at the source at some point and add it to the FAQ.
    Hobbyist Software
    just checked what 'Wake Device' does.

the automatic updates will update the feeds every X mins

if the update alarm triggers when the device is asleep then it will either

1) wake the device
    2) wait until you wake the device before updating

according to the 'wake device' preference.
    Hobbyist Software
    re posting issues - the forum is a good place, though email is ok too.
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    shhhhhheeeeet you know what would be sweet?! If, wile you are looking at an article, all the rest from that feed could be loading?
    The rss feed is actually a single downloaded file rather than seperate files for each story. So I can't see how this would be possible.
    sorry.
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for making this free!
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    The rss feed is actually a single downloaded file rather than seperate files for each story. So I can't see how this would be possible.
    sorry.
    the whole file couldn't load at once? If not, just flipping through articles would be cool
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i found an app today named "com.palm.app.news_0.8.5_all.ipk", which looks identically to "news feed".
    it seems to be the older one of both, but both have the same version and in most a same look.
    very strange.
    is there any comment in your (hobbyist) app that the original source code is in fact palms source code?
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast