Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 365
  1. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #121  
    I'll wait for webOS Internals to do it right.
  2. #122  
    I should point out that I'm not disregarding the ability of the developer, but I don't understand how emulators like ZSNES, Project 64 and every single other emulator are free and he wants to charge for (and $10 crazily enough) it.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by brancleveland View Post
    I should point out that I'm not disregarding the ability of the developer, but I don't understand how emulators like ZSNES, Project 64 and every single other emulator are free and he wants to charge for (and $10 crazily enough) it.
    It's called ECONOMICS. Not a new principle that he just invented.
  4. CUH
    CUH is offline
    CUH's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #124  
    BTW the webos internal gameboy emulator is out on preware and it's free.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I'll wait for webOS Internals to do it right.
    +10

    Lets see...on my PC right now...

    MAME
    wGens
    Snes9x
    FinalBurn
    Impact
    GBC EMU
    etc.etc.


    ALL Emuators. ALL CODED by *someone*. ALL FREE! Gotta love people who would try to sell FireFox. or Ubuntu.

  6. #126  
    Mmm, I tried to post this last night, but it didn't appear to go through.

    I don't have so much an opinion as far as who's right or wrong...but I did find something interesting while looking into the subject, for all the people talking about backups of games they already own. It was on a wiki entitled "ROM Image," under the legal section, so there's no vouching for the validity:

    This was the interesting part, though:

    "...However, in the U.S. it has been illegal since 1983 for a user to create their own backups of video game ROMs onto other cartridges. This was decided in the court case of Atari v. JSJSJS&$amp$;$A$. $JS$&$amp$;$A$ $manufactured$ $a$ &$quot$;$game$ $backup$&$quot$; $device$ $that$ $allowed$ $users$ $to$ $dump$ $their$ $Atari$ $ROMs$ $onto$ $a$ $blank$ $cartridge$. $JS$&$amp$;$A$ $argued$ $that$ $the$ $archival$ $rule$ $allowed$ $for$ $this$. $The$ $court$ $disagreed$, $noting$ $that$ $ROM$ $media$ $was$ $not$ $subject$ $to$ $the$ $same$ $volatility$ $as$ $magnetic$ $media$ ($for$ $which$ $the$ $law$ $was$ $created$). $Thus$, $not$ $being$ $so$ $relatively$ $vulnerable$, $ROMs$ $were$ $not$ $applicable$ $under$ $section$ $17$ $USC$ $117$($a$)($2$).

    Some games companies, such as Nintendo, print warnings inside their game manuals that they do not allow users to make backup or archival copies. Whether or not these warnings in this specific form can be considered valid contracts is legally questionable. For an overview of relevant issues, see user agreement (EULA), shrink wrap contract, clickwrap, Fair Use, Fair Dealing and DMCA."


    While there is no specific contract you have to sign, it is apparently law that backup copies are illegal, and it seems implicit that Nintendo does not take kindly to people making backups of something licensed by their company. Another interesting point this section of the article brought up was the fact that the Nintendo Wii has emulation, but they still want you to purchase ROMs from them, because physical or digital, they still own the rights to that media.

    So, until Nintendo throws it's hat into the ring, and starts selling ROM images to cell phone emulator users and/or users of independent emulators in general, it would appear that the only use of this emulator would be for illegal purposes...unless people homebrew their own NES ROMs..which is a possibility I will not discount. But as far as using it for backups, it would appear to still be illegal.

    Any thoughts on this?
  7. #127  
    how and where do I download roms to my pre? I don't know anything about rooting...heeeelllp!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeaaaase!!!!
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by CUH View Post
    BTW the webos internal gameboy emulator is out on preware and it's free.
    awesome. who would want nes when you got this here
  9. #129  
    Believe it or not nothing is free in this world. Every "reasonable" opensource (free) project is sponsored somehow (donations, some company, support, etc...). Do you think firefox would make it w/o some company behind it; same goes for ubuntu, etc.... So, take it easy on developers. 10USD are way less than the hourly rate of a qualified developer!




    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    +10

    Lets see...on my PC right now...

    MAME
    wGens
    Snes9x
    FinalBurn
    Impact
    GBC EMU
    etc.etc.


    ALL Emuators. ALL CODED by *someone*. ALL FREE! Gotta love people who would try to sell FireFox. or Ubuntu.

  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Anyone know of a rom under 40K to try this with? All my roms are bigger.
    Donkey Kong is under 40k
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    how and where do I download roms to my pre? I don't know anything about rooting...heeeelllp!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeaaaase!!!!
    a yahoo or google search for "NES Roms" will yield several free rom sites. Caveat Emptor.
  12. #132  
    I've been waiting for an NES emulator, and am only willing to go so far rooting my Pre. (ie, I have no self confidence that I won't kill the poor thing, lol!) I was perfectly willing to pay the $9.99; the program works alright, def a few bugs to work out. As long as purchasers have access to updates this is a good buy, imho.
    Last edited by Conect11; 01/16/2010 at 02:58 PM.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCovers View Post
    For those that have purchased this already, how well does it work?
    Have you tried more than a couple roms?
    Are you able to save?

    I heard from a few people that some roms aren't able to load, sounds is glitchy or doesn't work on some games. So I'd just like to know if those problems were common.

    $10 is a bit much, so I'd like to hear more about it before purchasing.
    Glad to see a couple options available as of now.
    I'm sure more will follow


    I'm going to give the webosinternals version a try once home from work, the process is straightforward enough.
    it's a good first attempt, with improvement can be fantastic. The sound can be a bit jumpy at times, and the games seem to "speed up" in non - critical portions.

    As for saving, I was wondering this myself and doubt it's incorporated.
  14. #134  
    If I'm not mistaken the law allows a person to download and keep a ROM for

    A: A period of no greater than 24 hours
    or
    B: If they own the cartridge (or disk)

    Now, clearly this probably won't apply to the majority of people, but there are provisions to allow downloading ROMS.
    Last edited by Conect11; 01/16/2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: tried fixing quote
  15.    #135  
    Thank you all for your feedback. We appreciate it a lot. We are working on improvements. New versions will be released soon. We would be grateful if you could post specifics about the bugs/problems you notice at our support page. You can either post at the forum link there or leave a support ticket. We will do our best to address the issues as soon as possible.

    Best Regards.

    KalemSoft
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conect11 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the law allows a person to download and keep a ROM for

    A: A period of no greater than 24 hours
    or
    B: If they own the cartridge (or disk)

    Now, clearly this probably won't apply to the majority of people, but there are provisions to allow downloading ROMS.
    well you're mistaken...at least in the US. only if a copyright holders offer free licenses or if the user purchased the ROM from the copyright holder can one possess a ROM. So even owning a cartridge doesn't even give you the right to own the ROM...

    let me clarify, i have nothing against the owning of ROMS, i have several. I just think that criticizing people who refuse to pay for an emulator, citing the hard work of the emulators creators, is hypocritical considering we use emulators because we refuse to pay for ROMs despite the hard work of the original devs.
  17. #137  
    For other Canadians:

    Without taking the time to specifically quote Canadian law:

    The last time I checked, Canadians can legally obtain pretty much any digital media without fear of legal repercussions. The illegal aspect of downloading music, movies, (and as far as I know) games, comes with distribution. So long as you do not distribute ROMs to others, you should be on safe legal terms of Canadian copyright policies.

    That said, I still pay for all my media, save for my collection of old ROMs. The only ROMs which I even play being ones I've usually purchased over multiple formats anyway, or because they are not and have never been available in my region.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    well you're mistaken...at least in the US. only if a copyright holders offer free licenses or if the user purchased the ROM from the copyright holder can one possess a ROM. So even owning a cartridge doesn't even give you the right to own the ROM...

    let me clarify, i have nothing against the owning of ROMS, i have several. I just think that criticizing people who refuse to pay for an emulator, citing the hard work of the emulators creators, is hypocritical considering we use emulators because we refuse to pay for ROMs despite the hard work of the original devs.
    then it is a common misconception that emu distributors have been using for years.
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    well you're mistaken...at least in the US. only if a copyright holders offer free licenses or if the user purchased the ROM from the copyright holder can one possess a ROM. So even owning a cartridge doesn't even give you the right to own the ROM...

    let me clarify, i have nothing against the owning of ROMS, i have several. I just think that criticizing people who refuse to pay for an emulator, citing the hard work of the emulators creators, is hypocritical considering we use emulators because we refuse to pay for ROMs despite the hard work of the original devs.
    On the contrary, I'm fairly certain having a ROM of a game you own would constitute "fair use."
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conect11 View Post
    then it is a common misconception that emu distributors have been using for years.
    The 24 hour thing makes no sense at all.

    Downloading as a backup to something you own has a US Supreme Court ruling behind it. Being that most/all of these games were created in a pre-DMCA era, I find it unlikely any of their licensing agreements had provisos that would prevent fair use copies based on the DMCA.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions