webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Words With Friends??
Words With Friends??
Like Tree3Likes

Old 11/29/2011, 01:34 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
people have now known about webOS for like 3 months, and there's still no words with friends
3 months??? WebOS launched June 6, 2009 so that would be 28 months

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
prolongExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 02:53 AM   #62 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I play this! my android phone is only alive because of this app...and whatsapp...
maninwhitecoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2012, 05:26 PM   #63 (permalink)

I don't know if it was the touchpad update or the words with friends facebook app update, but if you log into facebook with the browser and try to play the facebook version you can see board and try to drag letter.

it's not exactly a webOS WWF app, but it's close!

is there a way to stop browser scrolling to make this playable?
GTF696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2012, 10:04 AM   #64 (permalink)

I've been playing Lexulous (formerly Scrabulous) via Facebook recently and I've just found out it works on my Pre3! A proper app would be nice but I won't hold my breath!
Old 01/17/2012, 08:43 PM   #65 (permalink)

is it really so difficult to get this game ported?
mattecko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 04:43 PM   #66 (permalink)

okay, it's not perfect but this will work in a pinch. Hopefully when more patches are 3.0.5 compatible it will make it easier.

1) load the app
2) select the game
3) tap and hold the letter you wish to place
4) will holding the letter use another finger to steady the scroll bar
5) when the letter is in the right place remove both fingers
6) tap letter one time and it will fall into place
7) repeat until word is spelled
8) hit send

it's a long and tedious process but it will work in a pinch.
GTF696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 06:46 PM   #67 (permalink)

is it really so hard to get this over to webOS? Even the Nook has it. So disappointing. We need to do something!
mattecko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2012, 07:01 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattecko16 View Post
is it really so hard to get this over to webOS? Even the Nook has it. So disappointing. We need to do something!
No, it's not hard. The developers probably just don't do it because they don't feel webOS has enough market share to make it worthwhile. It could be they don't think they'll earn much money from it, or it could be that they only have enough resources to support their apps on a certain number of platforrms, and webOS wasn't one of the platforms they chose. Of course that choice was probably made on the basis of market share!
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 05:01 AM   #69 (permalink)

I wish the wwf facebook app at least worked on a Pre+. I thought maybe it would, but it gives me an error.
JTH182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kat1890 likes this.
Old 01/29/2012, 08:11 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
No, it's not hard. The developers probably just don't do it because they don't feel webOS has enough market share to make it worthwhile. It could be they don't think they'll earn much money from it, or it could be that they only have enough resources to support their apps on a certain number of platforrms, and webOS wasn't one of the platforms they chose. Of course that choice was probably made on the basis of market share!
I wonder if you speak from experience or just 'read it on the net somewhere'. Some things are not 'easy' to port - in fact, most things probably, as webOS development, aside from the game-type development (PDK) is quite different than other phone platforms.

Since many of these games make their money from ad revenue, there isn't much incentive to port them to webOS, because there is no good ad framework for webOS. They have no way to make money from their work.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2012, 10:52 PM   #71 (permalink)

The fact that developers don't want to Port over their apps to webOS baffles me.. Mainly because there is about 1 million Touchpads out there, or more.. Plus, there is plenty of Pre2 owners and it's not like the Veer or Pre3 didn't make any sales at all.

I just can't see how 1 million people isn't a good enough base to make one of the most popular games for..

I just want to add.... I hate .. HATE words w/ friends but I would still buy it due to the fact that everyone asks me to play (one being the woman friend).. Just saying, there is a market for this app
zukny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 11:20 AM   #72 (permalink)

I agree about some things being very difficult to port between platforms, but I can't see a game like Words with Friends being in that category? The fact it's designed to run as a web-based app from Facebook is a clue. You don't see a lot of incredibly complex apps or games running as Flash-based code, because Flash itself is somewhat limited in what it can do.

You're probably onto something when you talk about the ad revenue though. Words with Friends and many of the other online "casual" games like it give away a "free" version that the vast majority of people use. It only makes revenue for the developer by way of the ads. Then you're supposed to be motivated to pay for the full version primarily to eliminate said advertising.

I think a TouchPad version could be handled effectively by simply eliminating a free version though, and making it a paid app only on the platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I wonder if you speak from experience or just 'read it on the net somewhere'. Some things are not 'easy' to port - in fact, most things probably, as webOS development, aside from the game-type development (PDK) is quite different than other phone platforms.

Since many of these games make their money from ad revenue, there isn't much incentive to port them to webOS, because there is no good ad framework for webOS. They have no way to make money from their work.
kingtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 11:27 AM   #73 (permalink)

This is an app that I would pay for!!
Babyrocko1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jewels3108 likes this.
Old 02/18/2012, 03:54 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
The fact that developers don't want to Port over their apps to webOS baffles me.. Mainly because there is about 1 million Touchpads out there, or more..
lol...citation needed. Market share wise, WebOS is to Android/iOS as Linux is to Windows/OSX. Nobody even bothers with us.
katemonster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2012, 04:03 PM   #75 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, Meg said there were over 3/4 of a million users, it was suspected that the Fire Sale sold about 800k touchpads, although from the "zombie apocalypse" thread on here, it looks like most of them ended up in the hands of a handful of actual users We sort of assume that that didn't count phone users, so a million isn't too far off base, especially considering how many different sets of units have been sold after the original fire sale as well.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 09:45 PM   #76 (permalink)

Ok, so I know that WebOS is open source but HP you need to continue with it. I love the software, I have a palm pixi as well and I just wish my touchpad had the darn apps that my android has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jewels3108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0