1.    #1  
    Now that the PDK has been released, is there any way we can convence these companies - Palm or Audible - to create a native Audible.com com?

Am I correct, Palm has now done their part?
    Half correct. The PDK won't be available until March.
    I am hoping palm gave the early access to it so they could already be working on it. I need my AA files. My Zune crashed a couple weeks ago so I now can not play them. If I don't see a solution soon, I might have to use other method's for getting them on my Pre.
    Audible is being very stuborn about the whole thing. They say that Palm needs to write the CODEC to allow AA files to be played on the Pre.

I bit the bullet and bought Sound Taxi and have used it to convert my books to MP3's. They work perfectly using Music Remix and even allow book marking, cover art and other important features. Quite frankly I prefer having my books in Mp3 format because I hate having DRM on files that I leagally own.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    That was very true before CES, but it may have changed now with the PDK release. However they might need some deeper level access to get the DRM working correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by krwren View Post
    That was very true before CES, but it may have changed now with the PDK release. However they might need some deeper level access to get the DRM working correctly.
    You can't go any deeper than the PDK. Audible could port their iPhone app to the Pre very easily once they have access to the PDK.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Audible is the single, greatest missing piece of software on my Pre. I wish palm would make an audible/podcast application for webos rather than audible since I don't think audible will do it.
    Rishi O.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Audible could port their iPhone app to the Pre very easily once they have access to the PDK.
    They could but it would not work until Palm provides the Codec for the AA files which need to be written into the Linux binaries of WebOS which is deeper than the PDK.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    They could but it would not work until Palm provides the Codec for the AA files which need to be written into the Linux binaries of WebOS which is deeper than the PDK.
    That would only be the case if they want to play the files through the Palm media player. Audible could wrap the codec and everything else into a C++ binary using the PDK.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    That would only be the case if they want to play the files through the Palm media player. Audible could wrap the codec and everything else into a C++ binary using the PDK.
    Your probably right.

Looking at their website it seems that they just use the built in media player on the iphone. It also looks like they dont support Android at all which surprises me.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Just got off the phone from Audible, they are indeed now working on an app for the WebOS (as well as Android).

It should be available in about 2 to 3 months.

Also, if any of you have credits that you have not used and your subscription is about to end, and you don't want to lose those credits, call Audible directly (this can't be don't over the web), they are offing a $5 plan that will allow you to roll over all of your unused credits until the WebOS version comes out and then you can do a regular subscription at that point.

If you use all of your credits while on this $5 plan, and you wish to purchase a book without credits you will be charged the full price of the book, which is not a great deal.

So just use up your credits and hopefully by then the WebOS version will be out.

I've also asked that someone from Audible leave an Official Statement here on Precentral.net so that everyone knows what I am saying is real and that they are with us.

So finally, we can relax, it is coming!

Hope this was helpful to some of you!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)