1.    #1  
    So Palm's media player sucks. It's clunky and awkward. The Music Remix app alleviates many of my issues I have with the native app (and thanks so much to the developers of that app), but it still isn't iPod quality. Add to this most people want to be able to sync their music with their computer. Sure you can use iTunes plugins or various other music apps, but it isn't the same. For some time I've wanted Songbird to sync with the Pre just as easily as the iPhone/iPod syncs with iTunes, and I was all in favor of a Palm/Songbird partnership to allow this.

But why not take it a step further? Why not have the Songbird people write the native app for Palm devices, that fully sync with Palm devices? It could still have the drag and drop functionality, and I'm not a programmer so I don't really know, but it would be nice if you still had the option to sync with whatever piece of software you want.

But I'm a linux user, which means I'm not using iTunes. Songbird is available on all three of the big operating systems, which gets rid of any compatibility problems. And Songbird has really came a long way in the last few years, and I feel it is now a first class music player.

The on-phone app would be able to have some of the functionality that desktop Songbird has, like last.fm integration, mashTape support, etc.

I think this would be a win-win situation for Palm and Songbird. Palm needs a truly great media player (and something that gives it a leg up on the iPhone), and Songbird needs something that gets their name out there and gets people familiar with their software.

Just a thought, but I'd love to see this. Now I'll let you guys shoot me down. Thanks.
    I like Songbird and I agree that the native WebOS music application is *abysmal* - I mean really, really bad. I can't even navigate through my artists/albums without lag after every click.

Unfortunately I think that in the grand scheme of things improving the music app is probably pretty low on Palm's to-do list. A partnership with Songbird would be expensive to Palm and at this point in the game they can actually get away with having a sub-standard music player because of their strengths in other areas.

I actually think your idea is brilliant - they should have chosen a small-time company like the developers of Songbird, programmed a cross-platform sync solution into Songbird's PC client and then had a mini version on the Pre - it would be a very, very strong media handling experience. But I'm sure the cost to Palm would outweigh the benefit to us.
  3.    #3  
    But couldn't one argue that having a terrible music player would be an even worse expense? Especially with the additional storage capacities added to the new Plus line, surely people realize they're going after the music/movie storage that the customer wants.

And I'd think this could be something that Songbird works on mostly. Because realistically I don't think I'd want Palm having a hand in the development of this app, given their history with their own music player.

And they could keep Songbird as the name, if they wished. Cause I think it's a good name. It sums up what it does, and it isn't as blandly titled as "Music." I'd think the Songbird people would be all for this, as it would get them lots of press.

Just a dream I guess.
    Listen up Palm, this is what we want
    This is what Philips is doing with their mp3 players. It's great for everyone, the consumers get an superior iTunes replacement, and the companies don't have to invest a buttload of money to develop something that would probably end up pretty crappy.
    Once the pdk is up and running there will be ton of music apps. I think someone will probably clone the ipone cover flow also. They are C base programs.
    song bird maybe better media player yeah
  8.    #8  
    I thought Philips was just using Songbird as their desktop client but they were developing their own on-board software for the devices. Anyway, the big reason I liked Songbird is because it is compatible with Windows, OS X, and Linux.

And I hope they don't do coverflow. To me it seems like one of those gee whiz features that really just makes for more work with less productivity. Regardless, I'd like to see this. I'd like to see it as a native app just because when someone stops in a Sprint/Verizon/AT&T store and browses the music app, they get something legitimate and not a music player with the capabilities of my 6 year old LG VX7000.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    It would be nice for the Songbird developers to create a webOS app (webOS is linux based after all ). They just need to create a lite version of their program designed to run at 320x480. It could be released as a homebrew, at least initially, to perfect the app with feedback.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 02/14/2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I posed this question over at the Songbird feedback website.

When is Songbird going to develop a mobile version of their application for Palm's webOS? This is the best mobile operating system, hands down. However, it is sorely lacking in the music department. The music player that comes stock with webOS is very limited. WebOS needs a better solution. One that syncs well with the desktop Songbird application would be awesome.

WebOS is based on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and C++. It runs on a Linux core. I know that Songbird uses these languages also. A native Songbird mobile application for the Palm Pre should be possible.

See Palm's developer site for more info...
    Overview of webOS – Palm Developer Center
    The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center

Please developers, take a look into this! There is also a very large and active testing community here to iron out any kinks:
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/

The Palm Pre with webOS is David vs. the Goliath of the Apple iPhone. An elegant music solution would help Palm really gain some ground on Apple.
    Here is the link: Songbird Mobile needs to be developed for the Palm Pre. What is the holdup?

I got a very negative response from someone, here are the finer points of his answer:

*However, we must face facts, webOS is one of the more restrictive mobile operating systems out there.

*The reason palm never gets any marketshare is because they always choose to do a half-arsed effort.

*But in regards to a full blown proper port to WebOS, I don't think the userbase justifies the resources needed.

*Android will destroy any chance for WebOS to succeed because Google was thinking long term, whereas Palm wants to ensure that they can't benefit any of their competitors.

*They seem to be trying to copy Apple in many ways, but they don't seem to understand that Apple's business plan wont work for them..

He also admits to be an Android fan-boy ("I'd rather see Songbird ported to Android first.")

Can anyone help me out over on that other website? I know he is wrong on several counts but I need some people smarter than me (here's looking at you webosinternals group!) to explain it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by statelypenguin View Post
    Palm's media player sucks...it still isn't iPod quality.
    This (along with the lack of good apps) is arguably the number one reason why my next phone could be whatever the next version of iphone is. I want to replace my ipod but my phone just isn't up to it. Sadly right now. use my pre mostly just to make phone calls and text. Nothing more. (part of that is a lack of apps issue but i digress). The point is music was and is a big issue for me.

i still carry my ipod cause, it's a simple well executed music solution. it syncs well, access my collection, and playlists well. I agree in thanking i think DanPLC for the tremendous effort on Music Remix but Palm should be doing this and doing even better. I think from a business standpoint you have to be as good as an ipod in terms of features and ease of use. Simple copying with the use of a cradle rather then searching around for my charging cable.

Add to this most people want to be able to sync their music with their computer.
    I have hundreds of gigabytes of music. it is unlikely to ever be in "the cloud" which palm thinks according to the Kara Swisher interview. I don't use pandora or those things either. So clearly Palm doesn't understand that i need a way to sync my music and if they make me work to much i'll just move platforms. I guess could just leave it plugged into the computer but all those wires are far from as elegant as a docking cradle. What i'd like to see is palm make their own desktop media syncing and playing software. integrate the amazon store, the app catalog, contact manager, playlists, video, podcast. And don't half *** it. if there are playlist in itunes just make the software import them. The same way mozilla, asks, "Would you like to import your internet explorer settings?" Make it easy for the mainstream non techy person to do it. Make it easily approachable. They seem like they have no interest in doing this so honestly i'm not hopeful that by the time i decide to buy a new phone that this will be addressed. I'm sure there may be a better player but who knows will it provide the whole package that it's competitors do.

For some time I've wanted Songbird to sync
    i've never been a songbird fan cause i find it a resource hog and kinda slow. I'd rather use old itunes versions personally. so personally i'd prefer something else. But hey that's just me.

Palm needs a truly great media player (and something that gives it a leg up on the iPhone).
    Agreed. the Iphone was a success massively on the backs of the blockbuster success of the ipod, a music player. I use my ipod more then my phone (car, house, bus, train, seperate nano for working out); for me the poor media player and lack of desktop solution is a glaring oversight (kinda like not having a great facebook client at launch) and it may in the end be something that keeps me from making my next phone a pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    *Android will destroy any chance for WebOS to succeed because Google was thinking long term, whereas Palm wants to ensure that they can't benefit any of their competitors.
    I think this fundamentally misunderstands Google's current business model. Google revenue is based almost entirely on ad revenue from it's Adsense product. And Google has enterprise Cloud apps that it sells to services for. They are about driving customer's to their cloud services like voice, buzz, gmail along with business apps. Google makes next to nothing off Android. The reason they do it is Android is a great avenue to get people tied to google services. And Google thinks it can provide great mobile solutions, better then the current ones. Thus they aren't trying to force people onto Android. They are trying to force people onto Gmail, google search, gdocs, etc. Because that's where people clan click through ads. That's why google was pushing so hard to get google voice on ipods. It's why google said "hey we'd make google navigation for the ipod if Apple would allow it but they won't." If google didn't want to promote other OS's then why would they go after the minnow that is webos and but prop up the juggernaut and leader that is apple right now? O.S. wise Apple's their biggest competitor. That's illogical. If they really wanted to drive people force people to android they'd take their apps off of iphone and only have them on Android.The truth is google wants to be on everything. If they decide to make or not make something for a platform, say WebOS, like Buzz or something, the reason is because Google doesn't see the potential market as big enough to justify the effort. It's not cause they want to keep people off WebOS. Now later, maybe they'll start charging for android but now they don't care. I'm not saying Google doesn't want to take over the world and wouldn't like to supplant Iphone's OS as the dominant OS but it's not their goal right now. Android is a tool to get people closer to their ads and apps.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/15/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Itunes is way overpriced and too restrictive, never use them again. My ipod just collects dust, with internet music and smartphones it is becoming an outdated device. Media Monkey looks promising.