1.    #1  

I have downloaded a few apps that didn't work. So I checked the forums and contacted the Developers and got them to work. But in the process of searching; I came to understand that the Palm App Store is basically the Wild-West. NO ONE seems to own the Palm App Store. When I asked Palm; they told me they don't run the store. They told me Pocketgear does, but they denied this. Even the Developers don't seem to know. The Developers can't offer refunds, and Palm doesn't either. Some app's don't have any Support Info. And the reviews are often time pointless. People post the most idiotic of reviews! They will end up not being able to install an app because of some Patch they have on their phone; so instead of asking for help; they post the lowest possible rating and basically ruin the feedback ratings over issues they could fix themselves. But Palm won't do anything about that either.

I was bluntly told that (Customers Buy Apps At Their Own Risk) and that isn't a good way to advance the WebOS.

So does anyone here actually work for Palm? Are they planning on fixing anything with the App Store? Or will it remain this shadowy place to buy software, and a place where good app's are given unfair feedback?
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood
    [B]

I have downloaded a few apps that didn't work. So I checked the forums and contacted the Developers and got them to work. But in the process of searching; I came to understand that the Palm App Store is basically the Wild-West. NO ONE seems to own the Palm App Store. When I asked Palm; they told me they don't run the store. They told me Pocketgear does, but they denied this.
    Yes, Palm does run the a store... I would be very surprised if Pocketgear ran it.

The Developers can't offer refunds, and Palm doesn't either.
    That's stated in the TOS somewhere when you first launch the app catalog.

Some app's don't have any Support Info.
    That is definitely bad quality control. Palm supposedly requires a working website and email address, but they don't seem to follow all of their guidelines 100% of the time.

And the reviews are often time pointless. People post the most idiotic of reviews! They will end up not being able to install an app because of some Patch they have on their phone; so instead of asking for help; they post the lowest possible rating and basically ruin the feedback ratings over issues they could fix themselves. But Palm won't do anything about that either.
    Yes, Palm does. Chuq deletes reviews that don't relate to the app. Any "app catalog unavailable" 0 star reviews are removed by Chuq when he finds them.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Yes, Palm does run the a store... I would be very surprised if Pocketgear ran it.
    That's stated in the TOS somewhere when you first launch the app catalog.
    That is definitely bad quality control. Palm supposedly requires a working website and email address, but they don't seem to follow all of their guidelines 100% of the time.
    Yes, Palm does. Chuq deletes reviews that don't relate to the app. Any "app catalog unavailable" 0 star reviews are removed by Chuq when he finds them.
    Palm needs to offer refunds it is that simple. Customers are going to give up on the software if they feel ripped off. And seeing as some of this software is very costly; Palm needs to do something more then just letting us rot with any problems we run into. And Palm should control the App Feedback like Ebay does, and not allow people to post negative reviews without waiting a set amount of time; and before they try and contact the seller to resolve the issue. If Developers leave; then there is no WebOS. So basically Palm needs to do a better job with their App Store. Because Palm was already on Death's Door after years of not advancing their products and services. And the App Store as it is feels more like were buying drugs in some underground club. We should feel safe and know our money is being spent correctly and that we should have some way of getting a refund if the Developer doesn't offer any help. Maybe Palm should offer a forum within the App Store so users can speak with other people about their issues.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    First off wow, that is a lot of bold. now that that has been said. lets look at what your saying. first you agree to the TOS of the store that you purchase at your own risk, now you complain about wanting refunds. yes it could be helpful but you cant open and watch a dvd or play a game not like it and return it to the store, when you open it you own it, same with the app. now if there is a major problem then palm can be contacted and if justified a refund can be issued such as a compatibility issue or such.

Second you say there should be a restriction on posting negitive feedback, ok on ebay its justified since ordering is based on a persons score, but on an app, really? its all an average base and unfitting ones are removed but negative feedback shouldn't be limited its like saying you can give a negative review on a movie till its been out for so many weeks, it doesn't work that way, you can hear both sides of a story no matter how stupid either side may be. some people on the reviews as of late, have been giving an app 5 stars just to promote homebrewing. So not to burst any bubbles but it goes both ways, so relax and let things continue to develop. Things will always get better and if palm eventually sees fit they may add a refund policy but don't expect an open door policy on that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoblade View Post
    ...first you agree to the TOS of the store that you purchase at your own risk, now you complain about wanting refunds. yes it could be helpful but you cant open and watch a dvd or play a game not like it and return it to the store, when you open it you own it, same with the app. now if there is a major problem then palm can be contacted and if justified a refund can be issued such as a compatibility issue or such.
    I acknowledge the TOS, but I agree with the original poster about refunds of apps, dvd, toasters, etc. that flat out don't work. There is no clause to allow refunds for "major problems" as you suggest. If you successfully download it, you own it.

REFUNDS: Prices and availability of any Applications are subject to change at any time. All sales of successfully downloaded Applications are final and non-refundable.

I realize that the same policy probably exists for all the app stores out there, but Palm's is the one I deal with and I think it reflects poorly on them when an app developer sells something that doesn't work in their marketplace.

I'm willing to let a developer fix the bugs in their new software, but when an app is significantly crippled by a bug, I want to hold my money until he does it.