Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    NFSU has worked perfectly for me so far. I am running quite a few patches and have played the game quite a bit.
    still...
    First off, sorry that i'm not going to retype this from the other tread where i put it, so it was two posts from me and one from another member. Hope it Helps.

oh, also wanted to mention that when i called sprint to complain/try to get a fix, before i got my new phone, the refunded my $10, so if your having problems try calling and see if you can at least get a refund, or better yet, make them give you a phone that does work to replace you defective one.

one more note: both phones are running 1.3.5.1

Me:
    I had a refurbished phone (with some minor physical problems) from asurion, NFSU crashed my phone every single race. I just got my new replacement from them, it works perfectly! i'm on the ninth 'level' and have played each one many times, not one crash(of my phone that is)

If your having problems(frequently), i would definatly try to get your phone replaced, it is your hardware, not the software!

The error i was getting was the an application has closed unexpectedly (or something like that), restarted he phone, no change. Never used homebrew anything on that phone as i had just recieved it the day before, so while it may cause problems, it did not cause mine.

nonworking phone had a warranty date of 7/28/09 and a recon date of 11/24/09
    working phone had a warranty date of 10/19/09

i don't have any idea if those dates will have anything to do with the problems, but i thought i would give all the info i could to help out

2sslow:
    How can you say that?

Unless you are telling us your replacement was configured exactly (exact same patches and exact same homebrew) then theres NO WAY you can be sure that its your Pre hardware causing the Issues.

Its more likely that the pres memory leaks are causing the issues, Try running luna restart before running the game and see if that helps, Or use jstop to stop running programs that were not shut down cleanly.

Seriously use jstop you would be surprised how much memory leak these have.

Me again:
    I have no Patches, no Homebrew, no anything nonstock of any kind on either pre. I stated that i had restarted the phone having problems, then tried to play the game, no different than no restart. that restart was a full power cycle, ie. it is more than a luna restart, and therefore more accurate.

Can't really have a memory leak if you haven't ran any programs of any kind, after the restart i went directly to nfsu, so yes, i can say with nearly complete certainty that it is a hardware problem, not software. they are both configured precisely the same, and that is the stock configuration, plus what loads from my palm account and two google accounts. as i stated, the one that it didn't work on was a freshly refurbished phone that i had gotten wednesday evening, the one that it does work on is a brand new (not refurb) phone that arrived on Friday evening.

EA may not be the best, but they do test. there wouldn't be this big an issue in their software, and my testing show pretty conclusively that there is not.

Anything else you did not read the first time? any more tests you want me to do? radios on/off? no change. turning email to manual only? no cange. reinstalling nfsu? no change.

has anyone with nfsu(or any of the other 3d games) gotten them to work by changing settings after having the "Application Error The application NFSU has quit unexpectedly." error show up more than 20 times? not that i have heard of... too many cards? thats something that can be fixed by a restart, but this error, if it happens often, seems to be hardware related. i have seen people who got it once or twice, then never again, but i got it everytime until i got replacement hardware, then not once has it quite. i have played for more than three hours now without any errors.
    Last edited by agbenson; 01/09/2010 at 04:52 PM.
    had problems with asphalt and nfs...downloaded fine but wouldn't open from app catalog launch or icon in app launch on phone...doctored reinstalled games first played them fine 15 20 min each...reinstalled patches and tweaks 1 by 1 checking for playability after each with success moved on...got all my tweaks in place...you know style stuff, clock, square corners, etc, along virtual keyboard (jury still out that one), played again 20 min or on each no problem... reinstalled latest version of mytether as is from site...checked it with laptop...worked fine...disconnected , toggled off, removed wifi patch...started games after restart and they were fine...again i only played about 20 to 30 min, but went through a couple of levels each...like nfs better by the way although asphalt has cool shortcuts and fantasy stuff...(yeah like nfs is real life...oh you get what i mean)...anyway read the .rar stuff...so far don't need it...i got 1.3.5.1 running too
    Last edited by oward01; 01/09/2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Only had one or two crashes when I first started playing NFS. But none since and I have played a couple times for over an hour straight. From what has been posted, for some people there may be a hardware issue. Don't know if it is the processor, but it might if the CPU speed is changed to 600mhz for game. Don't know if this is related, but in the past when some forums members manually changed the processor to 600mhz some experienced problems while others didn't.

I am sure RAM also plays a role sometimes as well. The few times it has crashed, I had not restarted the phone for a few days and at the time had been using multiple applications. To help clear RAM, every few days I will do a full restart of the phone OR when I notice problems.

Lastly, leftover files in the old app directory cause problems in 1.3.5 (/var/usr/palm/applications), esp with app catalog--use Emerg Migr Helper from Preware for homebrew. Perhaps leftover patches or files cause problems as it has worked for some after doctoring. I uninstalled all patches for update, reinstalled after, and don't have issues with my patches and 3D games. Hope this can get fixed for some of you.
    Last edited by dfd02; 01/09/2010 at 05:30 PM.
  6.    #86  
    Okay, can anyone help me with this. I have never used any homebrew stuff and I'm not 100% sure what you all mean by doctoring the Pre. The best solution I've had so far was uninstalling the game, doing a restart, installing the game, doing another restart and playing it. This worked last night for about an hour. When I tried to play today, same crashes. Can anyone offer help to someone who doesn't understand the inter-workings of the Pre and it's software? Thanks. FYI: No responce from EA yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Okay, can anyone help me with this. I have never used any homebrew stuff and I'm not 100% sure what you all mean by doctoring the Pre. The best solution I've had so far was uninstalling the game, doing a restart, installing the game, doing another restart and playing it. This worked last night for about an hour. When I tried to play today, same crashes. Can anyone offer help to someone who doesn't understand the inter-workings of the Pre and it's software? Thanks. FYI: No responce from EA yet.

Doctoring the Pre is basically putting back your phone to factory settings. As you can assume this process will erase everything that you have on your Pre. However, you can run a backup process (Palm Profile) and right after you link your Pre to your current Palm Profile it will restore the data for you (contacts, calendar, applications downloaded from App Catalog, etc.).

Here is the link for more information.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v2-96-a.html
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by renck View Post
    Doctoring the Pre is basically putting back your phone to factory settings. As you can assume this process will erase everything that you have on your Pre. However, you can run a backup process (Palm Profile) and right after you link your Pre to your current Palm Profile it will restore the data for you (contacts, calendar, applications downloaded from App Catalog, etc.).

This thread gave me alot of the information I was looking for. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by renck View Post

Doctoring the Pre, post-1.3.something will no longer wipe your personal files. It takes a full erase to do that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Anyway, I've doctored and full erased, but this game will not play on my phone. I'd hate to turn it in for another, but if there's a hardware problem...
    Whats the Warrantydate of your phone west3man? From the poll so far its older phones with problems. (sig for poll)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Anyway, I've doctored and full erased, but this game will not play on my phone. I'd hate to turn it in for another, but if there's a hardware problem...
    I'd hate to give up my original pre (and pay the insurance replacement fee, ugh) just because they can't write software that doesn't crash on it. What on earth have they done in manufacturing that would make this difference and why wouldn't they be up front about it so we didn't waste money on these games that don't work??
    I have a launch day Pre, and have had 0 problems with NFS. However I did reset the phone after downloading, before I played the game.
    I couldn't even open the app, so after trying everything I doctored my phone finaay got it to play. I reset it right after installing also, just to make sure. I did a full erase. Sounds extreme, but backed up everything I could first.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenlkl@yahoo.com View Post
    I couldn't even open the app, so after trying everything I doctored my phone finaay got it to play. I reset it right after installing also, just to make sure. I did a full erase. Sounds extreme, but backed up everything I could first.
    I did the same thing (doctored my Pre) and as you the app is running. Now, are you able to run something else at the same time? In my case, if I have the game running, and then trying to open the browser the Pre runs very slowly. And finally if I try to open something else, I received the too many cards open error.

How do your phone performs runnning NFS and opening other apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Whats the Warrantydate of your phone west3man? From the poll so far its older phones with problems. (sig for poll)
    I don't know and don't remember how to check, but I bought them the last week of July.
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    I'd hate to give up my original pre (and pay the insurance replacement fee, ugh) just because they can't write software that doesn't crash on it. What on earth have they done in manufacturing that would make this difference and why wouldn't they be up front about it so we didn't waste money on these games that don't work??
    I'm not paying a dime. This didn't work from the start, I'd wager, we're JUST having the opportunity to try it out.
    Oh ok. It's ##786# in the phone app. scroll down.
    Thanks and add your vote to the poll.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Oh ok. It's ##786# in the phone app. scroll down.
    Thanks and add your vote to the poll.
    7/1/9
    Downloaded NFSU didn't run, I gotto many cards error, I restsrted my phone didn't work deleted NFSU reinstalled still didn't work. Doctored the phone reloaded game ran perfect. Installed tweaks and homebrews game still ran perfect. Installed doner version of my tether game ran perfect ran the wifi patch game no longer runs, doesn't even open. Going to doctor again not install tether and see if it runs again.