Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys. I got my Palm Pre really early on back in June on Sprint. I've upgraded since then (1.3.5 right now, although I've never wiped, and I run Homebrew).

    It seems that just about everything else has improved by leaps and bounds, but I continue to have horrible problems with the Google Maps app. That is, it's constantly "forgetting" searches, or resetting itself (w/ a blank white screen) when I switch it in from the background or from sleep - making it very unreliable for navigation.

    Just wondering if there are other people having this problem or if it's just me? This happens to me all the time (about every other time I use the GMaps app) but I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere?

    (Also, features like "last search" work intermittently or not at all). If this isn't normal, does anyone have any advice besides trying to do a full wipe and restoring?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    features like "last search" work intermittently or not at all).
    I've never seen a "last search" feature. It would be nice, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    resetting itself (w/ a blank white screen)
    I had this a lot before 1.3.5. It froze frequently, or seemed to reset itself when I zoomed in or out on the map. Suddenly I'd see the map of North America, and my settings, like traffic on were gone. Of course, since 1.3.1 (I think), now gMaps remembers your settings, like traffic or satellite.

    But it seems more stable for me since 1.3.5. Still, even under 1.3.5, if you minimize the card or go to another application, it seems to go "white." It seems consistent with the way the web application works. I believe multi-tasking does not extend to Web application. If you turn your focus away from a web page, it stops updating. You can see this yourself. Try tapping the refresh button in Web, then quickly minimize before the page comes in. You'll see that the web card goes completely white until you return to it. It appears that gMaps is doing the same thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    making it very unreliable for navigation.
    I wouldn't use it for navigation. Although I did hand it to my wife once so she could help me navigate. I just use it to find things and check traffic. It makes a terrific "yellow pages." Oops, am I dating myself? Does anyone still actually use the yellow pages?

    Have you tried Sprint Navigation? It's not bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    If this isn't normal, does anyone have any advice besides trying to do a full wipe and restoring?
    It sounds normal. I wouldn't wipe and restore if I were in your shoes.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I've never seen a "last search" feature. It would be nice, though.
    Spent a bit of time poking around - it's not for general searches, but in the "Directions" screen, you do get recent/previous destinations.



    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I had this a lot before 1.3.5. It froze frequently, or seemed to reset itself when I zoomed in or out on the map. Suddenly I'd see the map of North America, and my settings, like traffic on were gone. Of course, since 1.3.1 (I think), now gMaps remembers your settings, like traffic or satellite.

    But it seems more stable for me since 1.3.5. Still, even under 1.3.5, if you minimize the card or go to another application, it seems to go "white." It seems consistent with the way the web application works. I believe multi-tasking does not extend to Web application. If you turn your focus away from a web page, it stops updating. You can see this yourself. Try tapping the refresh button in Web, then quickly minimize before the page comes in. You'll see that the web card goes completely white until you return to it. It appears that gMaps is doing the same thing.
    Yeah, this is the behavior I'm talking about. Unfortunately, it seem to happen even if you stay focused (but the phone goes to sleep) or for any number of other reasons. This is unfortunate, as when it blanks out it needs to totally reload everything and loses whatever you were last doing...




    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I wouldn't use it for navigation. Although I did hand it to my wife once so she could help me navigate. I just use it to find things and check traffic. It makes a terrific "yellow pages." Oops, am I dating myself? Does anyone still actually use the yellow pages?

    Have you tried Sprint Navigation? It's not bad.
    Yeah, for driving I've started using Sprint Nav as it doesn't seem to suffer from those problems (it burns through battery, sometimes the GPS doesn't work, and it leaks memory like crazy though -- sometimes, after extended use of Sprint Nav, even after closing everything I still have low memory trying to open cards [maybe 1.3.5 fixes some of this]).

    The main reason I use GMaps though is for the public transit routing options. For example, I'm in NYC this week, and constantly plotting what subway lines to get to various places - the worst thing of course is that GMaps is constantly giving up the ghost when you most need it (ie, which direction should you go when you get out, or more seriously, what stop are you supposed to get off of).


    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    It sounds normal. I wouldn't wipe and restore if I were in your shoes.
    Yeah, since most of what you described is stuff that's also affected me, I guess it's just "normal" behavior....
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Spent a bit of time poking around - it's not for general searches, but in the "Directions" screen, you do get recent/previous destinations.
    Oh my gosh, I never saw that. That's so cool!
  5. #5  
    The biggest problem with google maps on our phone is that it is a web app, not really native. I really miss the version I had on my curve :-(
  6. #6  
    +1. I've come to realize that google maps is terrible. Typically if I have a "yellowpages" type need, I'm better suited searching google through the web browser and finding local results that way. It'll work faster

    A sad state of affairs, especially for a google product.
  7. #7  
    Agree - it sucks. Had a MotoQ 9c and the google maps mobile app was way better than what's on the Pre (is the GMaps Icon just a link to the web site?).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions