Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, as expected this is a huge app at 218,976k (214mb)!!! It took close to 25 minutes to download and almost another 10 to install, but I got it right after the CES announcements while the servers were getting slammed so likely that made it take tons of time longer. Given the immense size of these new apps, Palm should be making it clear the size of them since people will quickly run out of space.

The graphics are amazing as can be seen in the preview photos, but it's even better in person with actual game play video. The controls take a bit to get used to, but it's definitely a fun game. The gas is ALWAYS on by default (this can be changed in the options to add a gas pedal which almost works better if you just need to slightly slow down for a corner, but makes the game play a bit trickier) and you have a brake icon to slow/drift and a nitro button. The steering is done by tilting the Pre. It's very responsive though and the graphics flow very well.

Racing games and racing sims are my preferred game genre, but obviously this is an arcade style game and no where near a sim. Still, it's great to finally have great quality games available on the Pre.

It will be interesting to compare with EA's NFS once that is also available. Those reviews should be listed on this forum soon as well which I'll add to once I give that a go.

EDIT - NFS Undercover is $10 vs Asphalt 5 at $7. Compare to NFS reviews: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...d-reviews.html

EDIT - ASPHALT 5: 9/10
    Given that it's about 2/3 the price of NFS it's pretty good. The first game of it's type I've tried on the Pre, but impressive. Could have been 10/10, but I have a feeling that needs to be reserved for NFS which I plan to try out in a few day
    Last edited by natsteff; 01/07/2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Thanks for the review, might end up purchasing this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by natsteff View Post
    First, as expected this is a huge app at 218,976k (214mb)!!! It took close to 25 minutes to download and almost another 10 to install, but I got it right after the CES announcements while the servers were getting slammed so likely that made it take tons of time longer. Given the immense size of these new apps, Palm should be making it clear the size of them since people will quickly run out of space.

The graphics are amazing as can be seen in the preview photos, but it's even better in person with actual game play video. The controls take a bit to get used to, but it's definitely a fun game. The gas is ALWAYS on and you have a brake icon to slow/drift and a nitro button. The steering is done by tilting the Pre. It's very responsive though and the graphics flow very well.

Racing games and racing sims are my preferred game genre, but obviously this is an arcade style game and no where near a sim. Still, it's great to finally have great quality games available on the Pre.

It will be interesting to compare with EA's NFS once that is also available. Those reviews should be listed on this forum soon as well which I'll add to once I give that a go.

EDIT - NFS Undercover is $10 vs Asphalt 5 at $7. Compare to NFS reviews: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...d-reviews.html
    sooo. . .??/10
  4.    #4  
    9/10, see updated post above
    I agree with basically everything you said. Haven't tried NFS yet but got this because it wasn't up yet, and I'm not disappointed. My only qualm is the sound playing even when the slider is off, like doom / quake / etc do.

9/10
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    I agree with basically everything you said. Haven't tried NFS yet but got this because it wasn't up yet, and I'm not disappointed. My only qualm is the sound playing even when the slider is off, like doom / quake / etc do.

9/10
    I think the idea of that slider is to silence the system, not music. So being able to use a music app would be disabled if you had the slider off.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I purchased and did a quick race. Looks good . . . But, already am having a problem in that in career play when I start to race, the app quits and I get an error message: "This application unexpectedly quit".

Anyone else yet get this problem?
    I think you should try restarting your phone and try again
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    I think the idea of that slider is to silence the system, not music. So being able to use a music app would be disabled if you had the slider off.
    Oh, I know that's how it's supposed to work, I just disagree with that setup. It's a small quibble.

Anyone else yet get this problem?
    The very first time I started a single race it did this. I've played a few times since and it hasn't happened again.
    It's crashed out a few times on me. Not during a race yet, however.
  11.    #11  
    Update - you can change the auto accelerate to a manual one, but it's a bit trickier to control having to hold that. Although you do get greater control over slowing.

Also, I had it crash a few times starting a race, but that could just be me.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdaballa View Post
    I think you should try restarting your phone and try again
    Good idea. I will try that.
    So I bit the bullet and opted for Asphalt 5 over NFSU. Downloading now.
    it doesn't launch for me (maybe same problem as some ppl have w/ doom and quake?) :-(
    It also crashed on me when I loaded it the second time. I'm rebooting now.
    also downloaded this game and it's very good compared to the others...but my question is is this game an online multiplayer game?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by badboi24u View Post
    also downloaded this game and it's very good compared to the others...but my question is is this game an online multiplayer game?
    Well the app catalog description says it, but I have not found a way to do it in the actual game yet.
    I purchased NFS & asf. Both are great. The graphics are more detailed in NFS and so is the game objectves. I prefer NFS but will still enjoy Asf.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a fix yet for the app not launching? I click on the icon and it gets highlighted for a few seconds, and then the highlight goes away and nothing happens.
    Downloading this app caused my phone to crash. I can't even turn it on again after recharging. Not sure what to do now.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast