Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I downloaded X-Plane last night and am a little disappointed with the sounds and the textures (especially the water textures). The sounds are REALLY annoying because the loops aren't cut clean. Framerates and controls are perfect though. Hopefully these things will be fixed with a patch or something.
    Bought the game last night...had never heard of X-Plane before. It's amazingly technical! You need to set your radio to control towers if you want to use ILS, etc....I'm usually more of the 'take-off-and-crash' type of flight sim player but the amazing amount of detail here has inspired me to learn more about how all the systems work. And yes, even over Wi-Fi the download and installation took FOREVER.
    I agree that the textures could use a bit of work, especially the water one as mentioned above.

However, it is still fun. The one huge thing that it could use is a tutorial. I know, there's a ton of (iPhone-only, at this point) manuals on the x-plane website, but it could really use some instructions on what the buttons do at least. The far right, below the settings button has a sort of ruler-looking thing that I still haven't figured out.

I know, that as a flight-sim there's controls that would take too long to explain, but the main buttons at least need some sort of explanation.

And how about some sort of objectives for those who aren't quite as into the sim stuff? I mean, it would be a little more interesting if it at least told me "Take off from <xxx>, get to xx,xxx feet, then land at xxx" and judged my performance.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but for a more casual player it could use a little more.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    had to post this on my site. i attributed it to you. let me know if you object and i'll take it down right away.

DIY Joystick Controller For webOS Version of X-Plane 9 Flight Simulator - joe, beta.
    If someone has bought X-Plane that could do a video review showing off the features, that would be appreciated.
    i'm a retired pilot and model radio-controlled aircraft enthusiast...the features, options, graphics and sound are phenomenal, and totally unexpected in a smart phone...i'm easy to please, and i was stoked when i could calculate tips with my phone...then i could kill time with breakout and play with the parachutist...but this simulation brings the phone to a new level...
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    If someone has bought X-Plane that could do a video review showing off the features, that would be appreciated.
    It's a little difficult to make a video of a game that requires you to move the phone to play it...
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the multiplayer between two devices?

Less likely, but anyone know if you can connect a Pre to an iPhone / iPod Touch to do multiplayer between the two?
    I spent some time with X-plane, so as promised here are my thoughts:

First off, some background. I used to do a lot of flight sims for several years from the 90s to the mid 2000s. I did both military and civil (starting with MSFS4). I was on the test group for Falcon4. Some of my favorites have included EF2000, Janes F15/F18, SU27, Graphsim F18, Faclon 4, MSFS, and a few others. I had tried X-Plane a few times, but never got too into it, so I cannot compare this product to the desktop. Quickly though, I realized that I can't really compare this to most sims anyway, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

When you start the sim, it sits you down on a runway with some basic instructions to let you know how to get around. It tells you that the throttle is on the left, flaps are on the right, and to touch the top of the screen to bring up the in-flight menu. You also have "brake" and landing gear controls below. The view point is straight forward with a HUD. The HUD shows altitude, speed, attitude, has a flight path indicator with a mini HSI below. There are no radios to follow VORs or anything, and there's no GPS, but it is preset to point to your airport.

Within the main menu there are these options:

Map - Shows where you are as well as other airports. From here with one touch you can do different scenarios: random flight/location or takeoff/land any of the airports.
    Region - There are six regions included: Innsbruch Austria, Hawaii, Boswell Bay, Alaska, Southern California, San Fransisco, and Desert Sky, California.
    Plane - Seven planes are included: Cessna 172, Columbia 400, Piper Malibu, Cirrus Vision, Piaggio Avanti, Beech King-Air, Eclipse Jet 500
    Weight - Adjust the weight and CG of the airplane chosen
    Time - Adjust the time of day from day, dawn, night, sunset.
    Sky - Adjust the cloud types from 5 different classes of weather. Visibility and cloud base can also be changed.
    WXR - Wind speed, turbulence, wave height, and wind direction can all be adjusted.
    Set - This adjusts the reference of the controls. You can see the current angle of the accelerometer and adjust what the sim calls neutral.
    Multi - Searches for other players. Note that I did not examine this feature.

I got started without reading anything else and pretty much had it all down right away. Flight control is very intuitive and when you tilt the Pre, the aircraft all respond as you'd expect. The first time you take off it's quite an experience, especially for me as I've never played a game on a phone as advanced as this. You really do feel like you're taking off and it's done with a feeling that's likely impossible to achieve on a phone without the accelerometers and display. That is to say, the control scheme and graphics are both very good.

Because of the platform though, is difficult to evaluate modeling but I've played sims that were less realistic on PC, for what that's worth. Obviously, if you're on a Pre you cannot look for a most realistic experience but this sim doesn't disappoint on that regard. You can really let yourself think that you're flying around and that, in my opinion is quite a lot. Even if it's not all that realistic. In short, it's as good as you would expect in this area and maybe a touch better.

Graphically, you can see the images and videos elsewhere but the X-Plane looks good. As this is the only game on the Pre I have, I can't compare it to anything else on the platform but I will say that between the visuals and the control scheme it's very attractive to get into. As long as you don't do anything too crazy, you really do feel like you're flying around under some reasonably good laws of physics. (I found some odd behavior if I tilted the Pre to maximum angle really fast or just did control inputs that wouldn't make sense, but if you fly like a remotely sane person it would be OK)

Another thing that should be mentioned is that the simulator is extremely fluid. There's no stutter or hesitation anywhere. It takes some seconds to load scenarios and when you first start it but otherwise, there's no delay and everything plays very smoothly. Even if you leave the card it's smooth and the game pauses. Overall, this was a bit unexpected for me and very nice.

But getting back to flying, it's very cool to take off and fly around but there's not much more to do. In a desktop flight simulator like MSFS, there were no guns but the enjoyment was in the feeling of flight and the accuracy and involvement in everything: You can start from a familiar place, set radios, fly to the destination, enjoy the sights along the way, then shoot your approach. And that doesn't get into the aftermarket the sim enjoys. In a combat flight simulator you have that factor (depending on the sim) and more, as you strategize your engagements and fight.

X-Plane on the Pre has neither, so it feels incomplete. You don't get the realism of MSFS where you can fly cross country, man the radios, or even do some of the basic fun things MSFS offered. I don't mean to knock X-Plane as there are platform limitations, but it's a point to be considered nonetheless.

But it is fun, at least at first. Over time I don't know how much replayability it will have but friends and family saw it interesting and wanted to give it a few tries.

Having said all of that though, if you're hardcore into flight simulators and are curious I doubt you will be disappointed as long as you have some idea what to expect. To those looking for more casual fun I'd be more hesitant to recommend the sim. Anyone can get into it but I don't feel that it has a whole lot of longevity simply because there's not much to do other than to literally fly around the designated areas. To those on the margin, I hope my comments have been helpful.
    tekknikal, very nice evaluation...for me, being a retired instrument instructor pilot, it's challenging to do precision traffic patterns (smooth takeoff, climb-out, turn crosswind, downwind parallel to the runway, descending base leg, line up with the runway, and smooth touchdown, while working the throttle, flaps, brakes, and monitoring heading)...i don't play it a lot, but when i get that scenario down pat, i can fly outside of the traffic pattern, find my way back to the airfield, re-enter the pattern, and land -- at night...lots of fun, and i can see why the faa has allowed x-plane to be used for flight training on the 'pro' version...
    These reviews are spot on, the game is fun and I think pretty addictive.
    but that's the problem... play for more than 10 minutes and it will suck your battery dry!

I had it plugged into my computer and still lost more power than I was charging!
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I have posted the Operators Manuals for the X-Plane Mobile and Apollo.

The X-Plane Mobile manual is available from the developer's website. The Apollo manual was made by me directly from their wiki manual (with their permission). As they release additional ports, I will similarly generate pdfs of the wiki manuals.

Note that their documentation makes references to "iphone and iPod", but they should read "iPhone, iPod, and Palm Pre" - the interfaces are identical.
    cant believe that a week or two after x-plane they released a new sim. from what ive seen i cant recommend x-plane based on that. if anything, the new sim would make sense. but, given the release timing, i cant help but feel a bit turned off by the company.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    LMFAO!!

... but is it bluetooth?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by tekknikal View Post
    cant believe that a week or two after x-plane they released a new sim. from what ive seen i cant recommend x-plane based on that. if anything, the new sim would make sense. but, given the release timing, i cant help but feel a bit turned off by the company.
    They have the same sims on the iPhone, you didn't see it coming? They're offering MORE games, its not a negative.. Christ, no one is ever happy unless its free, does the work for you, and eliminates the need to think...
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    They have the same sims on the iPhone, you didn't see it coming? They're offering MORE games, its not a negative.. Christ, no one is ever happy unless its free, does the work for you, and eliminates the need to think...
    Well, I've bought a couple, and I do wish some of the features of each were combined, or at least available in all versions as well. Like, for example, X-Plane Carrier rates your landing on the Carrier (and gives you a tutorial on landing). Why can't the regular X-Plane do that?
    respect!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12