Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all

I just got my Pre with Bell Mobility up here in Canada, and there are so many Apps/Homebrew-Apps available that I don't know where to start.

Anybody have a favorite or Must Have download that I should put on my PRE!? Also where do I find it =)

Thanks!

Jason
    dr. podder
    I would just download and try them out since they are all free and there is no limitation anymore. You definately need one of the application apps (i.e Preware, file coaster). Then there's weather apps, gas apps, news apps, etc. I actually think the patches are more must haves than any app I have.
  4.    #4  
    true, i've heard people talk about preware alot, maybe i'll try that. I've also seen a patch for "led notifications", which is something I wanted right when I got the phone, but I've read about the patch causing lots of problems... So how well do these patches really work?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA7X View Post
    true, i've heard people talk about preware alot, maybe i'll try that. I've also seen a patch for "led notifications", which is something I wanted right when I got the phone, but I've read about the patch causing lots of problems... So how well do these patches really work?
    i've used the led patch on every version and it has always worked wonders. it merely enables the option in the screen menu. so, you install it, go to the screen menu, enable the notifications, and then uninstall the patch. the code is already in webos, so the patch doesn't add anything, it just enables the led notifications option. once you've turned on the notifications, you can uninstall the patch and that's one less to worry about when you're cleaning house to install the next webos version.

as for other patches/apps:

you MUST get these:

preware: best homebrew management app
    filecoaster: handy because you can enter ANY url and save the file the your phone.
    drpodder: best podcatching app available, by very far
    music (remix): palm should give up, destroy its music app, and integrate this one officially.

some fun games on there too, like Doom, Quake, and SuperTux, which looks oddly similar to a game you may have played on your SNES...
  6.    #6  
    Sounds great, I'm definitely going to try it now, I'll get preware, then I assume I can get LED Notifications using Preware. Also Doom and Quake would be incredible, haven't found the download for them yet, I assume it's on here somewhere, I'll keep browsing around
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA7X View Post
    Sounds great, I'm definitely going to try it now, I'll get preware, then I assume I can get LED Notifications using Preware. Also Doom and Quake would be incredible, haven't found the download for them yet, I assume it's on here somewhere, I'll keep browsing around
    you'll find 'em in preware.

you'll need webos quick install to install preware.

webOS Quick Install
  8.    #8  
    Thanks alot, downloading webOS Quick Install right now. Exciting moments lol
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Once you download Preware, you feel pretty cool. LOL- at least I did.. Part of a "secret" club.
  10.    #10  
    definitely lol. I love this phone. I just put on the Joker theme, added the LED notifications successfully! Made the battery a percentage, which is great because I was always opening the menu to see the % before, and got the Dumb & Dumber, South Park, Step Brothers, and Super Troopers Soundboards.. unreal =)
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Just be careful with themes.. Make sure to remove one theme before installing another..

And ALWAYS remove all patches and themes before upgrading your WebOS to a new version, just to be safe!
  12.    #12  
    I have not heard anything about this for awhile... But is there ANY word of being able to use MSN Messenger on the Pre at anytime in the near future? :S
    anymore suggestions for must have patches/apps? have only had my pre for less than a week and would like to make sure it's the best it can be! anything that makes life easier or is intuitive on a computer, but not available on the out of the box pre would be awesome!
    My patches:

4x4 v1 - Great to have 16 icons per screen instead of 9

Battery Icon as Percent

Disable Charging Alert Sound - If you have a touchstone and want to pick it up to check something and put it back without waking the wife.

Advanced Reset Options - Ability to more quickly restart Luna instead of Full reboot if needed to run a 3D game.

Shutter Sound Off - Seriously, I don't need a camera sound.

Video Downloads - Save videos from YouTube to local. Play in Videos app.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I'm a bit of a patch junkie. Here are my patches:
    • Alarm Daily Options
    • Call Duration in Call Log
    • Character Counter
    • Close on hangup*
    • Close Slider to End Calls*
    • Custom Carrier String
    • Delete From Notification*
    • Dialpad Tones Off
    • Disable Charging Alert Sounds*
    • Enable Add/Delete Pages*
    • Enable Hidden Clock
    • Enable Landscape Email
    • Enable Landscape PDF Viewer
    • GPS in Device Menu
    • Improved Photo Naming CIMG
    • Just Charge By Default*
    • Match State to Area Code
    • Named Pages in the Launcher
    • No Auto Refresh After Idle
    • No Missed Call Callback
    • Notification Repeat
    • Phone Radio Toggle
    • Read/Delete All Email
    • Really Silent Ringer Switch Mute
    • Show Download Count
    • Show Wifi SSID*
    • Simple Shutter Sound Off
    • Timestamps Builtin
    • Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    • Unthrottle Download Manager

* My favorites
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    My patches:

4x4 v1 - Great to have 16 icons per screen instead of 9
    I'd personally recommend 4x4 V3 but that's just a spacing preference thing, any 4x4 is the way to go though. Unthrottle Download Manager, and no auto refresh in the browser are my other must have patches IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    I'd personally recommend 4x4 V3 but that's just a spacing preference thing, any 4x4 is the way to go though. Unthrottle Download Manager, and no auto refresh in the browser are my other must have patches IMHO.
    At first, I didn't think I'd like the bigger icons in v3, but I tried it. Oddly, it does seem to make it easier to hit the right icon, even though the spacing doesn't really change.

I'm also digging no auto refresh. Eliminates the only annoying thing I see when I open 4 or 5 browser windows.

Thanks!
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    filecoaster: handy because you can enter ANY url and save the file the your phone.
    Seems I saw that Filecoaster hasn't worked since the 1.4 upgrade -- is it fixed now?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    first off, welcome to the world of WebOS, you'll never look at another phone again.

buddy up a bit had a good list of things for patches, but as you go through them it really is what fits your needs.

but there are a few that every single webos user should have for sure IMO

Patches
    ---------
    5x4 launcher -
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Character Counter
    Disable Charging Alert Sounds
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Named Pages in the Launcher
    Timestamps Builtin

Apps, Just got crazy and download anything that sounds good and give it a try, it's the only way you will find good useful apps that you like

also remember on the 31st we will be getting paid apps in Canada so look forward to reading a thread on all those new apps,
    *Hide Quick Launch Bar in Launcher Only.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast