Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ATTENTION ALL WEBOS USERS.

i am now currently working on a bar code scaner for the palm pre. im not aware if google zxing is working on one for webOS but i am semi-convinced they are not. so i am taking matters in my own hands. i am only a 16 year old boy with some programing expericnce and computer networking. but i am naturaly gifted with computers. i am using the same technology and base as the android and i phone versions of the app, but this time it will be compatible with the pre and pixi and any webOS device. it will take some time for i am new to project ares and i also am unfimilier with j2me. but i am hoping i will, with enought research, find a working way to scan bar codes with a webOS device. if you have any information i could use or anything you would like to say please leave a comment.
    good luck. cant wait to give it a try.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I look forward to your app. I use one on my samsung moment, and it rocks. I commend your efforts.
    I thought an autofocus was needed.

Pick up a barcode and try to take a close up of it... it's not possible.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I would love for you to make an app like that so good luck, but if I understand correctly it would not work properly due to the camera lake of good close up pics autofucos or something like that.
    Like others have said, it's impossible because the Pre hardware sucks. It cannot and will not be able to support huge categories of innovative apps that Android and iPhone have due to missing hardware.

No barcode apps due to low quality camera with no focus. No price checkers, no product searches, no automatic business tagging via window barcodes, nothing... ever.

No augmented reality apps due to a lack of a digital compass. No Yelp overlays of businesses as you point your Pre towards them. No address overlays to help you find something easily when you point your Pre down the street. No apps such as Sky Map that show constellations and planets. No apps that need precise orientation of your Pre. Ever.

It's sad really. The most innovative apps are ones we will never see until Pre 2.0. I will be impatiently waiting for that day while sadly watching my friends use all of their amazing new and innovative apps.
    Ouch James, you hurt me with realizations.
  8.    #8  
    GOD DAMNIT. I FEAR YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT;. the lack of an auto focus does present a problem. stupid palm. i forgot about the auto focus. ill look into it but i think its ussles.
    AWESOME.... Good Luck... looking forward to using it
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acez3001 View Post
    GOD DAMNIT. I FEAR YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT;. the lack of an auto focus does present a problem. stupid palm. i forgot about the auto focus. ill look into it but i think its ussles.
    Looky here! I took this picture with my Pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There's an app called RedLaser for the iPhone that does it. Their site discusses a bit the fact that it's hard to do without an autofocus camera, but it's apparently possible. They upload the image to a server for processing, then send the results back to the phone. I'd love a barcode scanner for the Pre, but it may have to be done that way. I don't think zxing will work well without an autofocus camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    Looky here! I took this picture with my Pre.
    Seriously? Wow :O That's a pretty sharp close up photo... Tried "scanning" a barcode in my room and it is way too blurry, but it is pretty poor lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    There's an app called RedLaser for the iPhone that does it. Their site discusses a bit the fact that it's hard to do without an autofocus camera, but it's apparently possible. They upload the image to a server for processing, then send the results back to the phone. I'd love a barcode scanner for the Pre, but it may have to be done that way. I don't think zxing will work well without an autofocus camera.
    You can do it on the Pre with the PDK
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    When someone says it's impossible, that just means that it will have to be done differently.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya acez3001.
    how about a program where you type in the barcode and it comes out with the same result.
  15.    #15  
    its like super difficult since zebra crossing(google's barcode database) is like private and only accesible by a downloadable client for the iphone and android and something else. aka. google does not like palm. so i would have to find some other bar code database.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    how about a program where you type in the barcode and it comes out with the same result.
    I would love that! Good idea..

Here's someone you might work with.
    http://www.upcdatabase.com

Try it now! Look up item here:
    http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp

and

http://en.barcodepedia.com/
    Last edited by IcerC; 01/08/2010 at 09:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    i have no knowledge about this stuff, but maybe if you could snap the flash if needed - like the autoflash in the camera app - it may help get a better image of the code?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane View Post
    i have no knowledge about this stuff, but maybe if you could snap the flash if needed - like the autoflash in the camera app - it may help get a better image of the code?
    The flash doesn't make a difference. I cannot even use my pre to copy a page of text like a receipt to send to my wife. The text is blurry and everything.

After using this device for 7 months i fear that Palm is useless and should have created a better competing product before actual launch.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    Like others have said, it's impossible because the Pre hardware sucks. It cannot and will not be able to support huge categories of innovative apps that Android and iPhone have due to missing hardware.

No barcode apps due to low quality camera with no focus. No price checkers, no product searches, no automatic business tagging via window barcodes, nothing... ever.

No augmented reality apps due to a lack of a digital compass. No Yelp overlays of businesses as you point your Pre towards them. No address overlays to help you find something easily when you point your Pre down the street. No apps such as Sky Map that show constellations and planets. No apps that need precise orientation of your Pre. Ever.

It's sad really. The most innovative apps are ones we will never see until Pre 2.0. I will be impatiently waiting for that day while sadly watching my friends use all of their amazing new and innovative apps.
    So if those things are so important to you (they aren't to everyone), why do you have a webos device? And if you don't, why expend the effort posting here?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    The flash doesn't make a difference. I cannot even use my pre to copy a page of text like a receipt to send to my wife. The text is blurry and everything.

After using this device for 7 months i fear that Palm is useless and should have created a better competing product before actual launch.
    i will agree that they should have launched with the pre plus. early adopters are used to the burn, but those who didn't know any better got jacked up with the announcement of what amounts to what should have been released in the first place.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast