Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pre+ still doesn't have a auto focus...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    good luck with the program
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm a developer of this library and can clarify some things.

"ZXing" is not a barcode database but an open-source project. It is entirely open. Google's product search database is also entirely open for public search, so not sure what this comment meant.

It's not going to play well with blurred images from a non-auto-focus camera. It's possible to compensate to some degree in software for this. It can be made to work pretty well for specific code types (UPC) on specific, known camera hardware (iPhone). In general, you can't compensate for blur for arbitrary code type and camera. Where you can try, it slows things down. I don't think non-auto-focus devices are ever going to work so well as scanners, compared to auto-focus devices, so wouldn't bother.

The real 'showstopper' for Palm is the fact that the API, as far as I can see, does not provide a way to access what the camera sees. You can ask it to take a photo and save it. This was the state of the Blackberry a couple years ago and it made for a dreadful user experience.

This is a two-person, very part-time project, and neither of us are iPhone or Palm devs, so no chance of us writing or developing those clients. It is not a Google-staffed project and you can't read anything into this about "Google hates Palm". The platform isn't suitable, API-wise or hardware-wise, for this sort of thing at the moment.

If you make a good port and want to host it, you'd be welcome to stick it into the project.
    Quote Originally Posted by srowen View Post
    I'm a developer of this library and can clarify some things.

"ZXing" is not a barcode database but an open-source project. It is entirely open. Google's product search database is also entirely open for public search, so not sure what this comment meant.

It's not going to play well with blurred images from a non-auto-focus camera. It's possible to compensate to some degree in software for this. It can be made to work pretty well for specific code types (UPC) on specific, known camera hardware (iPhone). In general, you can't compensate for blur for arbitrary code type and camera. Where you can try, it slows things down. I don't think non-auto-focus devices are ever going to work so well as scanners, compared to auto-focus devices, so wouldn't bother.

The real 'showstopper' for Palm is the fact that the API, as far as I can see, does not provide a way to access what the camera sees. You can ask it to take a photo and save it. This was the state of the Blackberry a couple years ago and it made for a dreadful user experience.

This is a two-person, very part-time project, and neither of us are iPhone or Palm devs, so no chance of us writing or developing those clients. It is not a Google-staffed project and you can't read anything into this about "Google hates Palm". The platform isn't suitable, API-wise or hardware-wise, for this sort of thing at the moment.

If you make a good port and want to host it, you'd be welcome to stick it into the project.
    The PDK is out, which means that C++ coding is now possible in addition to Javascript. Not sure if you can access the camera, but it is likely they will add that in relatively soon.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerbrothersstudio View Post
    When someone says it's impossible, that just means that it will have to be done differently.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya acez3001.
    They say "Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week."
    I found this, almost started a thread requesting an app, saw you guys are way quicker to the punch than I........

I have no idea, but could this help?

Red Laser - The First Accurate iPhone Barcode Scanner - Hits The App Store - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    Like others have said, it's impossible because the Pre hardware sucks. It cannot and will not be able to support huge categories of innovative apps that Android and iPhone have due to missing hardware.

No barcode apps due to low quality camera with no focus. No price checkers, no product searches, no automatic business tagging via window barcodes, nothing... ever.

No augmented reality apps due to a lack of a digital compass. No Yelp overlays of businesses as you point your Pre towards them. No address overlays to help you find something easily when you point your Pre down the street. No apps such as Sky Map that show constellations and planets. No apps that need precise orientation of your Pre. Ever.

It's sad really. The most innovative apps are ones we will never see until Pre 2.0. I will be impatiently waiting for that day while sadly watching my friends use all of their amazing new and innovative apps.
    Damnit! I really liked my Pre until I read your post. I don't even have a need for a barcode scanner and now I just want to smash it or sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Damnit! I really liked my Pre until I read your post. I don't even have a need for a barcode scanner and now I just want to smash it or sell it.
    ha ha. Yeah that was quite a pimp slap from reality wasn't it? And whats funny is just the other day i noticed for the first time other phones had zoom and autofocus and i was thinking, "Why doesn't my pre have it?" Still i kinda thought, "oh well, it's not like having zoom of autofocus hampers the functionality of the device." Whups i guess it does.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Nice idea. Looking forward to trying it. The present one in the app store doesn't function at all. Good luck though.
    EA

Veer
    I have used the scanner on the Droid phones, it's kind of neat and I can see where it might be usefull.

Here is what I would love to see the barcode scanner used for in the future:

If you could scan items that you are consuming at home during food prep, Milk, eggs, oil, bacon... and have the items loaded into a shopping list and then have the list pop up when you are at the grocery store based on location, that would be awesome!

Good luck and I hope it works out for all of us.

Rob
    I fall on the side of the optimists here.. from poking around the web it does seem like the older iphones w/o autofocus also worked...
    whatever.
    in any case, as someone asked a while back- at the very least a meager substitute for the time is to bookmark your pre to www dot itemlookup.net (I've got too few posts to make an active link)
    this at least lets you search amazon and ebay I think it is...
    the QR code app works fairly well from the app store. IMHO IDK how a QR code would be any less or any more difficult to read- than a standard UPC code... if nothing else MORE difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossm812 View Post
    the QR code app works fairly well from the app store. IMHO IDK how a QR code would be any less or any more difficult to read- than a standard UPC code... if nothing else MORE difficult.
    I can not get it to work at all .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Is autofocus a hardware issue or a software issue, that can be resolved with an OS update?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12