Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Thanks!

Seperate databases are planned for the release after 1.1.0.

Next release (1.1.0) will most likely have bugfixes, small enhancements for using, more options, better export/import, better sending of lists and undo.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Feature Request (using 1.0.0)

I find it cumbersomb to edit the entry. By having to exactly hit the information button then select edit.

It would be a better flow if the user could double tap the item to enter the edit mode.

I am also glad to hear there will be an improved database. It would be nice to be able to send the whole database to another phone. As an example, the app "Fuel" uses an export to Google Docs, it exports the data as a spreadsheet. Then you can just share that document.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Easier editing is a good idea. There are however 2 problems:

Tapping an item already check/unchecks it. In 1.1.0, only in "Needed" mode, but still. So, double-tap could only work in "All" mode.

I don't know of any other webOS app that uses double-tap.

What about this: Long-tap for editing the item, like in the calendar app, where long-tap lets you edit the name of the event. That would not collide with anything.

Regarding export to Google: Noted as feature request.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Your right about the double tap, wasn't thinking.

Instead, maybe Orange Key + Tap or Gesture Area +Tap.

Or have a menu option to edit database.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I'll think about it. On the other hand, tapping the symbols is easier in the next version, because the tap area is bigger.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Shopping Manager Beta 1.0.2 has been uploaded to PreCentral.

Full changelog:
    History

Beta docs (not fully finished yet):
    Shopping Manager 1.0.2 Beta docs

This can be installed side-by-side to the Full or Demo version.

If you want to copy data from the Full or Demo version 1.0.0, you have 2 options:

1. Items only
    Do a export to clipboard in 1.0.0. Import from clipboard in 1.0.2 and delete the first 2 lines before hitting "Import".

2. Everything
    Copy the .db file on the USB partition from 1.0.0 to 1.0.2, as described on our web site: Shopping Manager Database

Thanks for testing!
    Last edited by sidamos; 01/20/2010 at 05:40 PM.
    I have been carrying my Palm TX around, just for handyshopper, for 6 months. I really didn't want to buy Classic for this one PalmOS app. Along comes Shopping Manager for WebOS. Thank you! I am amazed at your rate of release/feature enhancement, and your approach to providing just about everything your user community asks for. It's clear that you are familiar with the handyshopper feature set; you are carrying forward the best of handyshopper, and going further, such as improved import/export. The only major piece missing in 1.0.2 for my use is multiple shops per item, which is on your roadmap.

Thank you for a wonderful application, and completing my conversion from PalmOS to WebOS.
    - Alan
    Palm III, Palm Vx, Palm TX, Palm Pre (Sprint), Palm Pre3(AT&T/ebay)
    It would be useful to know the fields and formats for the exported, Excel-friendly database information. At some point, I will attempt to capture my old handyshopper database to Excel with HS2Edit, modify the contents, and then import it to Shopping Manager.

Thanks!
    - Alan
    found the database format in Shoppingmanager/beta/english - VivaLV-Software .
    - Alan
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Sorry, non techie here, you will have to speak slowly.

I have downloaded both beta & paid v1.0
    Beta 1.02 is obviiously more complete but I hesitate to enter items if I'm going to lose them when updating to next beta
    I tried export v1 -> beta 1.02 via clipboard but the only thing that came across was an item name & only if I entered that item into the import dialog which seemed sort of a useless import function
    I'm also wondering if I'm going to lose data if / when update becomes available on apps update
    don't want to duplicate entry work
    pls advise what you suggest
    thank you very much
    Jan Rifkinson
    Ridgefield CT USA
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    To answer your question about import via clipboard:

Programs cannot read the clipboard directly. So, you (the user) have to help a little bit. In the import screen, you choose Edit->Paste in the menu, which will fill the content of the clipboard (should be what you exported from the 1.0.0 version) into the empty text field (the text field will get bigger automatically to display the whole data). Then you tap on "Import". In this special case (1.0.0 -> 1.0.2 or higher), please delete the first 2 lines in the text field after pasting the clipboard content into it.

We will do everything we can, that you never loose data during an upgrade from one version to a higher version. To be 100% sure, you can always backup your data by copying the database on the USB partition of your device (see documentation) or by doing an export.

For example, you can export to clipboard and then paste the content of the clipboard into the memo app. Or you can send yourself an email with the export data.

If you use the beta 1.0.2 now and want to later use the 1.1.0 release version from the App Catalog, then you can transfer your data again via copy of the db file or via export/import. The beta and release version do not share the same database.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Shopping Manager Beta 1.0.3 has been uploaded to PreCentral.

Full changelog:
    History

Shopping Manager 1.0.3 Beta docs

This can be installed side-by-side to the Full or Demo version.

If you want to copy data from the Full or Demo version 1.0.0, you have 2 options:

1. Items only
    Do a export to clipboard in 1.0.0. Import from clipboard in 1.0.3 and delete the first 2 lines before hitting "Import".

2. Everything
    Copy the .db file on the USB partition from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3, as described on our web site: Shopping Manager Database

Thanks for testing!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Shopping Manager Beta 1.0.3 has been uploaded to PreCentral.

Full changelog:
    History

Shopping Manager 1.0.3 Beta docs
    Thanks for testing!
    I have a few quick comments on 1.0.3 regarding import/export.

First, it is clear that you have made major changes in this area. With 1.0.2 almost any import I tried failed with a fatal error. With 1.0.3, the imports succeed.

Now, i do not get a choice for import from clipboard. And, when I import from a file (ISO), my semicolon separators are ignored and the entire import becomes the item name, as in "apples;fruit;;;;;;;" with default values in all other fields. Also, the preference item for selecting the database separator no longer appears.

Can you either tell me the default separator now, or re-enable selection of separator?

I am really looking forward to importing over 1000 items from my handyshopper database.

Thanks!
    - Alan
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Something is wrong on your Pre, I am afraid.

I just downloaded Beta 1.0.3 from Preware and it is the correct version. Compared to 1.0.2, there were no changes in import.

If you do not have the import/export separator in prefs and no import from clipboard, then you are running a version BEFORE 1.0.1 (0.2.6 I guess).

Regarding your fatal error during import with 1.0.2: What exactly is the error and could you please mail me (software(at)vivalv.de) the import file?

Thanks!
    When I read in the reviews that Shopping Manager was just like Handyshopper, I immediately bought it because Handyshopper was one of three apps that I kept lugging my Treo around for.

As also mentioned in one of the reviews, the only thing keeping Shopping Manager from being as awesome as HandyShopper is the ability to have one item in multiple stores. As it is, if I want to buy Apples (only the red ones), I'd have to have five entries; one for each store/place that sells apples.

Is this feature on the roadmap? Is there an ETA for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Something is wrong on your Pre, I am afraid.

I just downloaded Beta 1.0.3 from Preware and it is the correct version. Compared to 1.0.2, there were no changes in import.

If you do not have the import/export separator in prefs and no import from clipboard, then you are running a version BEFORE 1.0.1 (0.2.6 I guess).

Regarding your fatal error during import with 1.0.2: What exactly is the error and could you please mail me (software(at)vivalv.de) the import file?

Thanks!
    My apologies! I had accidentally reverted to the released, 1.0.0 version of the app. When I returned to 1.0.3, the separator preference is clearly there, as well as import from clipboard. I sent my import dataset by email for your examination.

Thanks again for Shopping Manager, and your responsiveness to these early teething issues.
    - Alan
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faberfedor View Post
    When I read in the reviews that Shopping Manager was just like Handyshopper, I immediately bought it because Handyshopper was one of three apps that I kept lugging my Treo around for.

As also mentioned in one of the reviews, the only thing keeping Shopping Manager from being as awesome as HandyShopper is the ability to have one item in multiple stores. As it is, if I want to buy Apples (only the red ones), I'd have to have five entries; one for each store/place that sells apples.

Is this feature on the roadmap? Is there an ETA for it?
    There are 3 major points on the roadmap for after 1.1.0:
    - multiple shops per item
    - multiple databases
    - multiple categories per item

At least one of them is going to make it into 1.2.0. We are currently planning, so I can't make any promises yet. But I would expect a post 1.1.0 beta in february.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alangant View Post
    My apologies! I had accidentally reverted to the released, 1.0.0 version of the app. When I returned to 1.0.3, the separator preference is clearly there, as well as import from clipboard. I sent my import dataset by email for your examination.
    Thanks for sending the file.

This helped us making the import more robust in case of errors in the file.

I just uploaded 1.0.4 to PreCentral with this change and another fix in Shops/Categories views.

This version still cannot import your file, because of the errors (but it will not show an exception anymore). I will write again soon with explanations about what is wrong in your file.
    Hi! I wanted to try out Shopping Manager, but have a problem. I'm running Handyshopper under Classic. I can export the list to a memo, but have no idea how to then get at the contents of that memo.

Any ideas?

I wonder, as a second and probably longer term question, why you don't allow importing data in the same format as you export to email now. Seems that would allow me to import all the informatio I need, in particular the aisle number for each item, and not have to go set that manually for over 400 items.

Thanks!
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by donfergusonjr View Post
    Hi! I wanted to try out Shopping Manager, but have a problem. I'm running Handyshopper under Classic. I can export the list to a memo, but have no idea how to then get at the contents of that memo.

Any ideas?

I wonder, as a second and probably longer term question, why you don't allow importing data in the same format as you export to email now. Seems that would allow me to import all the informatio I need, in particular the aisle number for each item, and not have to go set that manually for over 400 items.

Thanks!
    Don
    The beta versions of Shopping Manager have full field import/export, as you describe. Check out Shoppingmanager/beta/english - VivaLV-Software for documentation.

I am in the process of adapting over 1000 entries from handyshopper on my TX to Shopping Manager.

Good luck!
    - Alan